• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The trimurti

Polarbear

What role does the trimurti play in Hinduism? Do all Hindus believe in all three gods or does Vaishnavists only believe in Vishnu and Saivists only in Shiva?

Maya3

I'm Advaita so from my perspective I don't focus on the deities that much.

I have mixed feelings about Trimurti, and I'd be interested to hear what other Hindus here have to say about it.
I think it is a Christian construct trying to explain Hinduism in a similar fashion as the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost.

Most Hindus look at the Murtis as a tool if you will, to focus on different aspects of God. God is One there arent really three or 60, or 1000, just one.

Maya

Shuddhasattva

Hadn't you asked this before? http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/hinduism-dir/136066-hindu-denominations.html#post3013938

My response:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/hinduism-dir/136066-hindu-denominations.html#post3013955

The identity of the trimurti is always reconciled as one. They are different faces of the same deity, whether we attribute the name and form of Devi or Shiva or Vishnu, this deity is He who is utterly beyond name and form, yet does not exclude them from Her greatness, possessing the eternal transcendental forms beyond the realms of birth and death. Forms indistinguishable from the Formless, there being not a hair of a hair, or an atom of difference between them. Here the Lord's Form is all that is sweet in all the eternal manifestations condensed into a single concentrated seed which all shaktis assemble around the nirvikalpa hridaya (inconceivably empty core-point), each shakti somehow individually dancing with this mahabindu whose shunyaguha is paranada; Parashakti Herself.

Krishna, through Balarama (Adi-Sesha), has four principal expansions - the Caturvyuha (Sankarsana, Pradhyumna, Aniruddha and Vasudeva.)
Krishna is the prime purusha, the great enjoyer, perfectly attributed and attributeless. These purusha avatars are enjoyers with emphasis falling on certain attributes.

Shiva also has five aspects; Vamadeva, Tat-Purusha, Sadyojata, Aghora and Ishana; collectively Sadashiva.

These 5 represent the various levels of divinity (and shaktis: cit, ananda, iccha, jnana, kriya), but really all levels are pervaded by a single, all-auspicious consciousness without regard for any level or separation between subject and object whatsoever.

Last edited:

Shuddhasattva

I
I think it is a Christian construct trying to explain Hinduism in a similar fashion as the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost.

Hm... it is certainly not a Christian construct, though modern view of the trimurti is probably influenced to a degree.

The trimurti gets most emphasis in the agamas and puranas with elaborate stories concerning Vishnu generating the other two, or Shiva generating the other two in the puranas, and philosophical/practical instruction on their roles and methods in the agamas.

We can see where they come from the Vedas, although the Vedic conception was more vast in scope - involving mandalas/assemblies of deities, and does not pick out 3, save obliquely - sun, moon and fire mandalas, which give rise to the trimurti, in the agamic sense.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Depends on who you ask. Personally, I take little stock in it, as all the three main attributes or qualities attributed to the 3 are all in one from a certain perspective.

Maya3

Hm... it is certainly not a Christian construct, though modern view of the trimurti is probably influenced to a degree.

The trimurti gets most emphasis in the agamas and puranas with elaborate stories concerning Vishnu generating the other two, or Shiva generating the other two in the puranas, and philosophical/practical instruction on their roles and methods in the agamas.

We can see where they come from the Vedas, although the Vedic conception was more vast in scope - involving mandalas/assemblies of deities, and does not pick out 3, save obliquely - sun, moon and fire mandalas, which give rise to the trimurti, in the agamic sense.

Thanks for the clarification.

Maya