• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tragedy Of Transgendered Youth

Prestor John

Believe what you want, study after study after study do not agree with you. Those who professionally study the subject do not agree with you. Your beliefs do not match facts.
Would you mind sharing these studies. Please.

I am honestly willing to change my mind if I feel that the facts justify the change.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Would you mind sharing these studies. Please.
This is what I tend to default to when people ask because it includes a ton of research, it's what clinicians tend to use as a guide, and it's free. Appendices are what you'll want to look at. The rest is highly informative, but it is there where the outcomes of treatment are covered. You may also be interested in the section on mental health, as it presents guidelines for mental health clinicians to use should a client present with gender dysphoria.
Standards of Care - WPATH World Professional Association for Transgender Health

Prestor John

Oh, we do. But not because we are transgender but because people like you want to give us grief and assume we have problems.
I absolutely do not want to give anyone grief. Especially transgender people.

Transgender people are more likely to kill themselves, which is a symptom of their mental instability, in my opinion.

What I do want is for transgender people to not be manipulated into irreparably poisoning and mutilating themselves.

There is nothing wrong with their bodies. They don't need to change anything.

What they really need is help to become comfortable with who they really are.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Related in what way?
As already commented, much of the relationship is an accident of history, but as marginalised minority groups, differenced from the norm because of unusual or non-confirming gender expectations, there are parallels that make them natural allies.

Kangaroo Feathers

Society has existed without any significant problems from gender designated restrooms.
And where do you think transgender people have been going to the bathroom for the previous entire time we've had gender segregated bathrooms before this became a political football? Hmmm? It hasn't been an issue that entire time, and, iirc, 0.6% of people are transgender, so you and everyone else has shared a public bathroom with a transgender person if you've shared a public bathroom with >175 people. It's not a problem, it hasn't been a problem. It's only an issue now because it's a convenient wedge political issue.

Kangaroo Feathers

It is not mere belief only, but an opinion I believe is arguable.

I recently receive instruction from moderators to say "I believe..." when stating my opinion.

Your sarcasm aside, would you mind sharing this "evidence" with me?

So far, I have seen nothing to justify the idea that transgender people don't suffer from mental illness.
No sarcasm at all. The scientific method means we don't have to base our understanding of such issues on mere belief. How much evidence would you like?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Sure. What's that got to do with transgender people?

Not only do actively monitored security cameras deter would-be rapists from entering the women's restroom, they also deter flashy trashy people like me from going in there and exposing ourselves to some pretty lady. If men who identify themselves as women were allowed to use the women's room, then trashy flashy people like me would temporarily self identify as female in order that we could freely go into the women's room where we could then sexually harass some beautiful woman. So then, if anybody were allowed to be in the women's room, security cameras would no longer deter us trashy flashy men from going there.

Kangaroo Feathers

Not only do actively monitored security cameras deter would-be rapists from entering the women's restroom, they also deter flashy trashy people like me from going in there and exposing ourselves to some pretty lady. If men who identify themselves as women were allowed to use the women's room, then trashy flashy people like me would temporarily self identify as female in order that we could freely go into the women's room where we could then sexually harass some beautiful woman. So then, if anybody were allowed to be in the women's room, security cameras would no longer deter us trashy flashy men from going there.
If you're incapable of speaking like an adult, I'm done with this conversation. If you ever decide you are interested in an intellectually honest discussion, let me know, and I'll be happy to continue.

Prestor John

and yet, here you are making hurtful claims like;
without evidence.
Please explain how what I said was hurtful. I don't see it.

It is a fact that members of the transgender community are much more likely to commit suicide than the national average.

It is not "hurtful" to discuss this fact and since the cause is still a matter of debate, why can't mental instability be a reasonable option?

Why are you trying to dismiss the option that this fact may be the result of some kind of mental instability?

Do you have evidence that directly contradicts that as an option?

Should this option not be considered simply because some people might find it "hurtful"?

Why shouldn't we be objective when discussing this important issue?

I'd rather focus on saving lives than sparing feelings.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What I do want is for transgender people to not be manipulated into irreparably poisoning and mutilating themselves.
That is giving us grief. We don't poison ourselves, we don't mutilate ourselves, and thanks for making it obvious you didn't consider the information I provided. We are at a higher risk of suicide because people like you don't want to listen, don't want to try to understand, and harp on about their personal views that do not match what a transgender person experiences or what science and medicine tell us.
What they really need is help to become comfortable with who they really are.
Yup. It took many years, but once I quit fighting and accepted myself for who I am wow has life gotten so much easier now that everyday I'm not at war against myself.

What "evidence" I have seen is very subjective.
No. The evidence you've been provided with you don't like and it directly clashes with your worldview. Just be honest about it.

Tiberius

As already commented, much of the relationship is an accident of history, but as marginalised minority groups, differenced from the norm because of unusual or non-confirming gender expectations, there are parallels that make them natural allies.

In other words, the relationship has nothing to do with the inherent qualities of each group, but rather the fact that both groups are treated like crap by others.

Tiberius

Men have assaulted people in public toilets many times without feeling the need to claim to be a woman temporarily.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
If you're incapable of speaking like an adult, I'm done with this conversation. If you ever decide you are interested in an intellectually honest discussion, let me know, and I'll be happy to continue.

Your opinion of my communication skills or mentality is irrelevant to the valid reason I've presented why men shouldn't be allowed in the women's restroom. I've made my point perfectly clear already, I've got nothing more to add into this discussion, so at least we can agree this is a good finishing point for us with this discussion. Thank you for your lively conversation. I appreciated this.