• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The time of Judeo-Christian writings

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The unfortunate price of knowledge... I have purchased several books because of posters on this site. Legion used to link free stuff all the time, which was nice aince he had access to a lot of journals. There is might be a free version somewhere, though probably not legal. Alternatively,
Results for 'ISBN-13: 978-1589831636, ISBN-10: 1589831632' [WorldCat.org]
Well, someone has to convince me that the symposium proceedings are important enough to buy. Many scholar group propose various kinds of source theory regards to OT and they have done so over the past century. Various symposium proceedings are published from various perspectives as well. I am happy to go over various evidence and hypothesis if they are presented accessible, or a few papers are linked. Buying every proceeding volume that appears is unreasonable however.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Well, someone has to convince me that the symposium proceedings are important enough to buy. Many scholar group propose various kinds of source theory regards to OT and they have done so over the past century. Various symposium proceedings are published from various perspectives as well. I am happy to go over various evidence and hypothesis if they are presented accessible, or a few papers are linked. Buying every proceeding volume that appears is unreasonable however.
I gave you worldcat, library memberships are not unreasonable.

Find the closest library near you that has the book.

Curious George

Veteran Member
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ghrMAw&usg=AFQjCNHL5qLwJUCXYPA8yD2WkelN9yfArg

I believe this is free pdf of the book

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Curious George

Veteran Member
Thanks. But I was making the point that Jay should have made a set of points and arguments in a forum post instead saying read a book. Anyone can say that. LINK a book as support, but it's bad form to post a single link to a book and saying read it.
I am just here for the information
I rarely know what is good form. I do know that @Jayhawker Soule is a good source of information as are you. I wonder if @Aupmanyav s friend @Copernicus , the linguist has studied this. He would definitely be a good aource to tap if he has.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am just here for the information
I rarely know what is good form. I do know that @Jayhawker Soule is a good source of information as are you. I wonder if @Aupmanyav s friend @Copernicus , the linguist has studied this. He would definitely be a good aource to tap if he has.
This article provides a very good non technical overview of the major current approaches for analyzing the sources of the Pentateuch. The neo-documentary and supplementary approaches are the main paradigms, and while there is debate between scholars, I suspect that they are complimentary in many respects.
On the State of Pentateuchal Criticism

Magus

if Hebrews are Canaanites, then the Old Testament as to be a lie.

1 . Why is Canaan the son of Ham
2. Why is Canaan a cursed nation
3. Why did Joshua invade Canaan.
4. Why are Hebrews occupiers of Canaan
6. Why Hebrews forbidden from marrying Canaanites.
7. Why God destroy Sodom-Gomorrah ( Canaanites)
8. Why is Palestine the son of Mizraim ( Egypt)
9. Why are Palestinians Giants

So all of the 'Hebrews' went to Egypt, then came back as an invasion, toppling all the Canaanite kings and raping the women.

Kelly of the Phoenix

if Hebrews are Canaanites, then the Old Testament as to be a lie.
Yup. It's essentially like that Star Trek episode where a cop played by 60's Riddler is trying to execute a criminal. They are both the same species but hate each other because their colorations are inverted. One is black on the left and white on the right, and the other guy is the opposite. They are the SAME species, though. Spoilers: their entire world was destroyed because of pettiness such as racism.

It's also like when a bigot is given a DNA test and it turns out they are part the race they despise. It's hilarious, really. However, it goes to show just how insane people are and how utterly shallow they can be.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Considering the review of the book it only offers a variation of the Documentary hypothesis, which is no help for your objections to the documentary process, and intimate cultural link of the Hebrews with Canaanites.

From: https://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Yah...retation/dp/1589831632?tag=religiousforums-20

"Since the assured results of scholarship are rarely certain, it should come as no surprise that the classical formulation of the Documentary Hypothesis has yet again been called into question. However, many North American scholars are unfamiliar with the work of a new generation of European scholars who are advancing an alternate view of the compositional history of the Pentateuch. A growing consensus in Europe argues that the larger blocks of pentateuchal tradition, especially the stories of the patriarchs and Moses, were not redactionally linked before the Priestly Code, as the J hypothesis suggests, but existed side by side as two independent, rival myths of Israel s origins. This volume makes available both the most recent European scholarship on the Pentateuch and its critical discussion, providing a helpful resource and fostering further dialogue between North American and European interpreters. The contributors are Erhard Blum, David M. Carr, Thomas B. Dozeman, Jan Christian Gertz, Christoph Levin, Albert de Pury, Thomas Christian Roemer, Konrad Schmid, and John Van Seters."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Considering the review of the book it only offers a variation of the Documentary hypothesis, which is no help for your objections to the documentary process, and intimate cultural link of the Hebrews with Canaanites.
You insist on fabricating my views. It's irritating and, more to the point, egregiously dishonest.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Thanks. But I was making the point that Jay should have made a set of points and arguments in a forum post instead saying read a book. Anyone can say that. LINK a book as support, but it's bad form to post a single link to a book and saying read it.

This method of presenting an argument is actually against the rules in two other forums I belong to. It is 'arguing by web link.'

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You insist on fabricating my views. It's irritating and, more to the point, egregiously dishonest.

You have not coherently presented your views, which is 'egregiously dishonest.' Instead you make a vague general reference to a book, which is meaningless.

This method of presenting an argument is actually against the rules in two other forums I belong to. It is 'arguing by web link,' without present a substantive coherent argument.

sayak83, also sees through your rouse, and presented easily available references and a coherent argument.

The subject at hand is: (1) the dating of scripture (Pentateuch). (2) the authorship of the (Pentateuch). At present your source agrees with argument presented by sayak83 and I.

Last edited: