• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The thing I respect about Islam

ronki23

Every Muslim I know believes in God / Allah. Whether it be through social media or Dawah, they honestly believe the Universe was created by someone. Maybe 3 Muslims I know drink alcohol and don't fast on Ramadan, and 1 eats pork, but they never renounced Islam despite flaunting the rules.
I also like how they pay Zakat

I don't know many Sikhs but I'm not too sure if the ones I know are theist. Most likely they're theist because they go to Gurdwara. Sikhs are big on seva too but not all of them do that.So maybe I respect Sikhs and Muslims about the same things.

Quite a lot of Christians I know are atheist so I shouldn't really call them Christians. A large percentage of Israelis are atheist (I don't think I know any Jews personally) and Hinduism/Buddhism are open to atheism.

Only Muslims and Sikhs (that I know) truly believe in God.

InvestigateTruth

Every Muslim I know believes in God / Allah. Whether it be through social media or Dawah, they honestly believe the Universe was created by someone. Maybe 3 Muslims I know drink alcohol and don't fast on Ramadan, and 1 eats pork, but they never renounced Islam despite flaunting the rules.

I don't know many Sikhs but I'm not too sure if the ones I know are theist. Most likely they're theist because they go to Gurdwara. Sikhs are big on seva too but not all of them do that.So maybe I respect Sikhs and Muslims about the same things.

Quite a lot of Christians I know are atheist so I shouldn't really call them Christians. A large percentage of Israelis are atheist (I don't think I know any Jews personally) and Hinduism/Buddhism are open to atheism.

They pay Zakat to who, and why?

danieldemol

Premium Member
@ronki23 There isn't much to debate here, because only you know what your likes are.

Except for your assertion that Christians don't believe in God perhaps. Sure there are cultural Christians but there would still be many who believe in a creator type God (as illogical as that is).

In my opinion.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

There isn't much to debate, except that I have encountered more than one Jew who believes in God and a multitude of Christians that do. You can call it religiosity or piousness or call it superstitious. Any of these words might describe them. It doesn't describe everyone, and I'm only replying to your comment that you think a lot of Jews aren't pious and that a lot of Christians aren't pious. I've met pious ones, very seriously pious.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I would say that to be a Christian requires a belief in God.
It is possible to be a Christian but live life as if God did not exist and Christianity is not true however. This would be termed "practical atheism", where a person may have a head belief but that is all.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
A large percentage of Israelis are atheist
This is not entirely correct. Most Jewish Israelis believe in God. It's just that the largest group in Israel doesn't practice Judaism, save for a things like having a Passover Seder and circumcision of baby boys. But there is also a significant minority in Israel comprised of religious Jews.

Sir Joseph

I agree partially with Danieldemol and Ronki23 but will clarify the point more clearly or specifically concerning Christians.

There are certainly a large number of people who self identify as Christian but don't act like Christians, don't accept the Bible's authority, and/or don't even accept the basic Christian doctrinal beliefs to correctly be considered a Christian.

One example is Mormonism which claims to be the one true Christian faith but is in fact a polytheist religion - quite counter to Christianity's theistic religion. It's not a denomination of Christianity; it's a significantly different belief system.

Another example is Jehovah's Witnesses who also claim to be the one true Christian faith but in fact deny the deity of Jesus and the Holy Spirit - quite counter to Christianity's essential Trinity doctrine. Like the Muslims, they claim belief in God and Jesus, but their view of each is quite counter to Biblical Christianity.

Another example is the Catholic Church that claims to be the one true Christian faith yet adds serious doctrinal beliefs on salvation, Mariology, and other issues that counter Biblical Christianity. I've seen, heard, and met many Catholics that identify as Christian because they follow the Church, but they don't know, understand, or follow Biblical Christianity. I like to think many of them are saved, but it's despite the Catholic Church teaching, not because of it.

And finally, there are many people identifying as Christian because that's the upbringing they had. They don't believe it nor live it, but haven't bothered to pursue something else to better identify with. Sadly, I think this is a significant percentage of supposed Christians today.

In summary, the term Christian is used very loosely today and quite often incorrectly. One thing's for certain though, it's rationally impossible to be both atheist and Christian.

ronki23

Well, yeah. If they didn't believe in god then they couldn't be Muslim or Sikh.

In theory you could be an atheist Sikh because you're following the path of the Gurus. A lot of Sikhism is about discarding rituals and focusing on seva (selfless service) but in my personal opinion you do seva so you can go to heaven.

ronki23

One thing I don't understand about Islam is that its like a VIP club and they want you to join but those not in the club are treated badly or (in rare circumstances) killed.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In theory you could be an atheist Sikh because you're following the path of the Gurus. A lot of Sikhism is about discarding rituals and focusing on seva (selfless service) but in my personal opinion you do seva so you can go to heaven.

If people are good just because they expect a reward, are they truly good?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes .. they believe that God will reward what they are doing because it pleases Him. That is a good deed.

In the same way, they are good if they avoid doing something bad, to avoid punishment.

That's a pretty sorry and swallow take on morality. If you're only "good" because you desire reward and fear punishment then it's insincere.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's a pretty sorry and swallow take on morality. If you're only "good" because you desire reward and fear punishment then it's insincere.
@muhammad_isa did not say that Muslims are only "good" because they desire reward and fear punishment...
He said that they believe that God will reward what they are doing because it pleases Him.

The Baha'i Faith has a similar belief on reward and punishment. We believe we will get a reward, but that should never be the motive for our actions.

“WORSHIP thou God in such wise that if thy worship lead thee to the fire, no alteration in thine adoration would be produced, and so likewise if thy recompense should be paradise.... Fire and paradise both bow down and prostrate themselves before God. That which is worthy of His Essence is to worship Him for His sake, without fear of fire, or hope of paradise.

Although when true worship is offered, the worshipper is delivered from the fire, and entereth the paradise of God’s good-pleasure, yet such should not be the motive of his act. However, God’s favour and grace ever flow in accordance with the exigencies of His inscrutable wisdom.”

Selections From the Writings of the Báb, pp. 77-78

muhammad_isa

No it's not.
What you or I think is "good" are not the same thing..
..you do not judge by what Almighty God has revealed.
The intention by somebody hoping for reward is to "please God" .. what's yours?
Do you care what Almighty God teaches is good and what is not? No.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yes .. they believe that God will reward what they are doing because it pleases Him. That is a good deed.

So "doing good" has nothing to do with the actual impact of your behavior in the real world? It has no relation to well-being? It's only about whatever pleases your god?

In the same way, they are good if they avoid doing something bad, to avoid punishment.

You are seriously confusing merely being obedient with actually behaving morally.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What you or I think is "good" are not the same thing..

Yes. That's quite obvious.

..you do not judge by what Almighty God has revealed.

Indeed. I judge by how behavior actually impacts the world and the sentient beings that inhabit it.
And if "Almighty God" is a moral being, he'ld do that too and would only appreciate people trying to work out morality in that fashion. It's what responsible adults do.

The intention by somebody hoping for reward is to "please God" .. what's yours?

My intention is to treat people with kindness and help them if they are in need. And I do that because it's nice to be nice. It's how you make the world a better place, which is beneficial for all.

And that by itself is its own reward. I don't require anything else.

Do you care what Almighty God teaches is good and what is not? No.

Yes. Not for myself, but beliefs impact behavior and decision making. So it's useful to understand the beliefs of my fellow citizens. It allows me to predict their behavior. And to spot danger.

So yes, I care what you believe it is that your god teaches you about what is good and what is bad. And the more space I share with you, the more I'll care.