• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Theravada Way

Onkara

Is is a requirement that Theravada must go into monasteries or disconnect from household life?

How is there way different or similar to today's western society?

xkatz

I do not think that Thervada Buddhism or even Buddha Dharma in general requires a person to "disconnect". I feel that that would be contradictory to one of the core aspects of Buddhism, that being the Middle Way. One should refrain in the overly excessive or extreme things in life, and I feel that disconnecting from household life is a bit extreme in some cases. One can practice Buddha Dharma and yet have a family/household life. Also disconnecting sounds a bit ascetic IMO, which is also not a Buddhist practice. As for monastic life, it is not required and it is person's choice. I would also like to point out that monasticism isn't a lifelong obligation, as one could be a monk for a set amount of time. If one feels however that they need a "break" from household life, they should disconnect, but only temporary.

I am not sure how to answer the second question you ask however :)

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've adhered to Theravada. Monastic life is certainly not a prerequisite to being a Theravadin.

Although it is certainly not discouraged either... :)

Onkara

Hi x Katz and Luis
I read this on-line so the fault must lie there. Thanks for clarification!
I am not sure why it is not more popular. It comes very close to some Vedantic teachings in Sanatana Dharma, so I was curious how it handles modern capitalist life styles.

Perhaps others can add their questions and thoughts about the Theravada Way, to this post :)

xkatz

Hi x Katz and Luis
I read this on-line so the fault must lie there. Thanks for clarification!
I am not sure why it is not more popular. It comes very close to some Vedantic teachings in Sanatana Dharma, so I was curious how it handles modern capitalist life styles.

Perhaps others can add their questions and thoughts about the Theravada Way, to this post :)

Actually I think the concept of monasticism actually is fairly popular nowadays because of Buddha Dharma. However, monasticism and being a monk is not the main point of Buddha Dharma and I think people in the "West" often have misconceptions of Buddhist monasticism.

Onkara

I agree, with the expansion of internet, monsastic philosophy and religion too is something which has reached our homes. We no longer need to go to a monastery or large library or a bookshop to be exposed to Pali and Theravada.

Logically then Theravada way could also be adopted by the householder i.e. a lay person with a job, family and a PC of course ;)

How a householder can adopt Theravada and take it up, is a question I find interesting.

xkatz

How a householder can adopt Theravada and take it up, is a question I find interesting.

Just like anyone else who practices their religion at home who has a household lifestyle. However, I cannot go into details since Theravada Buddhism is not my expertise.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
By studying with Monks and lay instructors, of which there are quite a few that are very skilled indeed.

And by meditating and reading the Tipitaka and comments on it. If at all possible, by writing one's own comments. One of the best religious exercises I've ever been through was rewriting the Four Noble Truths in my own words.

Is is a requirement that Theravada must go into monasteries or disconnect from household life?

Nope, one does not have to disconnect from their household life or become a monk (Bhikkhu). Their way is not that different from western viewpoints. Now sure they are a little less materialistic, but they are not in any way extreme. The lay people or Upasaka's must follow the Lay Rules which are presented in the Sigalovada Sutta. They basically talk about keeping the five precepts, and eight precepts on observance days, and its also about keeping faith, practicing Bhavana or Cultivations, Giving to others, and Metta or loving kindness. Thats really it for lay followers. So there is no rule that one must become a monk, though in some countires it is common for every child adhering to Buddhism to become a Novice Monk for a while. But according to what I know, that's not mandatory in Buddhism. So for Theravadins, if your a layman you should follow the five precepts and practice metta and if you want to you can become a monk. But that is not mandatory at all.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Onkarah as a former Mahayana, I think Mahayana comes closer to Sanatan Dharma then Theravada does. Maybe that's because Mahayana was influenced by Sanatana Dharma.

xkatz

Onkarah as a former Mahayana, I think Mahayana comes closer to Sanatan Dharma then Theravada does. Maybe that's because Mahayana was influenced by Sanatana Dharma.

All forms of Buddha Dharma were influenced by Sanatana Dharma, seeing that there were no sects around when Buddha Dharma was first established.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
X-katz I mean Mahayana was influenced again later by Sanatan Dharma, even after Buddhism had been established. Sanatan Dharma moved east and influenced Mahayana.

Benhamine

Learning Member
...so I was curious how it handles modern capitalist life styles.
I realize I'm really late to this thread...but I'd still like to add my 2 cents :D

I'm speaking more general Buddhism here, but I think one can live in a capitalist life and live the way of the Buddha as long as one remembers to not attach self to one's items and one does what one can to reduce the suffering they see. I think it's very easy in western society to attach ego to one's possessions which can hinder one's path to enlightenment. It's also easy living a capitalist lifestyle to become selfish and not want to help those around them.

While I feel it's probably more difficult to do these things living the life style rather than completely severing ties and living in a monastary, I don't think it's necessary.

-Benhamine

Beena Jain

Buddha's Middle Way, is The Way of Jesus. No disconnections from loved ones is required. We do not have to become monks, ascetics, nuns, sadhu, rishi, muni, for if or when we do, then we are detaching ourselves from loved ones and family, then how would we attach with loved ones and family in Heaven. We need to disconnect ourselves from wrongs, wrong desires, bad desires, sinning, evil doing or thinking. To disconnect ourselves from anything else in life is not required for Nirvana. Then we go to Heaven and resume our life back at home in Heaven with our true loves, not having sinned minorly, majorly, or direly.

von bek

Buddha's Middle Way, is The Way of Jesus. No disconnections from loved ones is required. We do not have to become monks, ascetics, nuns, sadhu, rishi, muni, for if or when we do, then we are detaching ourselves from loved ones and family, then how would we attach with loved ones and family in Heaven. We need to disconnect ourselves from wrongs, wrong desires, bad desires, sinning, evil doing or thinking. To disconnect ourselves from anything else in life is not required for Nirvana. Then we go to Heaven and resume our life back at home in Heaven with our true loves, not having sinned minorly, majorly, or direly.

The Buddha teaches that loved ones are a source of suffering. In order to attain Nibbana, all attachments to sensual desires must be eradicated. If you desire to live with your loved ones forever in heaven, you have an attachment that will only lead to further suffering. Rebirth as a god in a heaven is a possibility, that is not the goal of Buddhism, though. The goal is Nibbana. The heavenly realms are not permanent, and only those who have cultivated great amounts of good kamma will be reborn there. The idea that when you die you will go to a heaven and be reunited with all of your loved ones is not something the Buddha teaches.

Yeshe Dondrub

Kagyupa OBT-Thubetan
Monastic is not a requirement of any school of Buddhism. Also some do not truly understand attachment and letting go, they believe giving up is the answer, and that is incorrect. You can have experience, and not be attached. You can toss it aside, but you gave up, and the wisdom is lost.

Monastics in regions will dedicate their life or portion of life to the studies, and being apart from influences. That may be the best approach for them, however teachers may find students will benefit by being out in the world more then in the monastery.

Laymen have daily responsibilities in life, where they live, family. This does not mean you are any less Buddhist, or have less of a chance to reach an enlightened state. In many ways it is a benefit.

Experience is a benefit. Realizing the way things are, how to see it, see consciousness inwardly, let things go.

In some monastic situations, to give examples of impermanence, they would hold their hands in specific ways and toss items away. Or during a period of a year, break an owned item they adore. Make mandala's then swipe them away.

In the western world, or laymen way of living. We build Attachment and mandala's many times. To our computers, TV, entertainment, friends, family, places we travel, hobbies, pet animals, and many others. We suffer loss, death, and many forms.

Those are the experiences you can work with. In this human existence you are very lucky to be able to.

You DO NOT have to throw them away. Like holding marbles in your hand palm down grasping hard to keep them contained and hold on. You get tired, and drop them to the floor. That is giving up. Hold them palm facing up and open, having experience without clinging. This is letting go. The difference between palm down and palm up is wisdom. The marbles are experience. THe experiences will remain.

You can have a home, car, family, friends, pets, entertainment. Many experiences. What you do not want is to cling to them, depend on them, they are impermanent. You do not want to give them up, toss them away, that is ignorance. You want to have experience, without clinging, dependency, and eventually a lack of suffering by realizing true nature of mind.

Realms are states of mind, and when the most predominant aspect rises after bodily death, there is where you place yourself.

At times in your life you may wish to spend time in a monastery or temple. You will know.

Last edited: