• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ten Commandments movie

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Same vintage... An insult Ma'am, an insult, i may feel 15 or 20 years older some mornings but...
Sorry, I just assumed we were the same vintage since once you said you were retired, but maybe people retire earlier in your country.
And now I feel really old. :(

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You don't see the " god" being portrayed
as a monster? The slaughter of innocents
Is....?
In the movie it was not God who ordered that, but maybe I was not watching it closely enough.
Besides, I do not believe God did half of what is recorded in the OT, I believe it is anthropomorphic.
I do not believe the real God slaughters innocents although he may well get the bad guys and I have no problem with that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sorry, I just assumed we were the same vintage since once you said you were retired, but maybe people retire earlier in your country.
And now I feel really old. :(

Chuckle, yes im retired, no people don't retire early. The state pension age is currently increasing meaning i should retire in 2137 but we were able to retire in 2015. Ain't life grand :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it, i was teasing

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Chuckle, yes im retired, no people don't retire early. The state pension age is currently increasing meaning i should retire in 2137 but we were able to retire in 2015. Ain't life grand :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it, i was teasing
I have been "able" to retire for years given our financial situation, I am just not ready to retire yet.
There are many factors to consider, especially now with Covid-19, as that has changed life so much.

Audie

Veteran Member
In the movie it was not God who ordered that, but maybe I was not watching it closely enough.
Besides, I do not believe God did half of what is recorded in the OT, I believe it is anthropomorphic.
I do not believe the real God slaughters innocents although he may well get the bad guys and I have no problem with that.

Make that "any of the things" and
we'd halfvway agree.

Slaughter of innocents shows up on a world
wide scale with "flood ", elsewhere it may
be just a city, or in exodus just firstborn,
excluded the collateral damage in casualties
from drought, etc.

Then there are the slaughters he gets henchmen to do.

Maybe reread the Bible with such
in mind.

I wondervwhy you even bother thinking there is a "real" one.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I have been "able" to retire for years given our financial situation, I am just not ready to retire yet.
There are many factors to consider, especially now with Covid-19, as that has changed life so much.

Perhaps our circumstances were a little odd. The dream of leaving England was strong and when the chance came we took it. We could have started a new company here but professional courtesy dictated that we not create competition for the buyers of our UK company. The sale of the company returned enough to invest and scrape by anyway so life of leisure it is (yes that was a joke, with three kids, a hubby and a house to look after, what leisure???)1

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Maybe reread the Bible with such
in mind.

I wonder why you even bother thinking there is a "real" one.
I have not read the Bible so I cannot re-read it, but I will read it eventually.
At that time I will take the stories with a grain of salt, as spiritual metaphors, not actual history.

I do not "think" there is a real God, I know there is.
The reason I know is because of Baha'u'llah.

Audie

Veteran Member
I have not read the Bible so I cannot re-read it, but I will read it eventually.
At that time I will take the stories with a grain of salt, as spiritual metaphors, not actual history.

So you think you have absolute knowledge.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Good book, I've read 3 different versions.

Audie

Veteran Member
Perhaps our circumstances were a little odd. The dream of leaving England was strong and when the chance came we took it. We could have started a new company here but professional courtesy dictated that we not create competition for the buyers of our UK company. The sale of the company returned enough to invest and scrape by anyway so life of leisure it is (yes that was a joke, with three kids, a hubby and a house to look after, what leisure???)1

Perhaps the life of a tai tai wouldst suit.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We have no kids, never had any, but we have always had a multitude of cats and we also have three homes, two that are rentals, so what life of leisure?

We have the least amount of cats that we have ever had now, only eight, but we cannot go on vacations and leave them. We could find a pet sitter as we did in the past when we had more than twice as many cats but I do not like leaving them with pet sitters anymore, they are too precious to me, and besides as I think I told you, my husband does not like traveling. I have to drag him out of the house just to go grocery shopping.

You are just a spring chicken. Enjoy your younger years because they won't last. My husband is 10 years older than me so who knows how long he will be around, and then I will have nobody because I have no other family except a brother who is seven years older than me and I never talk to him anymore. But the way I survive is just to live one day at a time and not worry about the future. It will come and I will deal with it as I always have.

I try to look at the bright side. In many ways life is better now than when I was 50 and I can still do anything I could do at age 50. I no longer have to worry about going to school to advance my career, and I will never have to worry about money, and we have fewer cats to care for and none that are at death's door right now.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Good book, I've read 3 different versions.
Oh I almost forgot, you were once a Christian....
I wasn't ever a Christian, so I never read even one page of the Bible until eight years ago, and then the only reason I read it was because I was posting to Christians on forums.

I will read it eventually though.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Oh I almost forgot, you were once a Christian....
I wasn't ever a Christian, so I never read even one page of the Bible until eight years ago, and then the only reason I read it was because I was posting to Christians on forums.

I will read it eventually though.

I didn't read it as a christian but after left christianity, very enlightening.

Audie

Veteran Member
God by some figuring has absolute
knowledge of everything: likewise, you have
absolute knowledge of one thing.

Absolute knowledge / knowing absolutely
is a distinction sans difference.

Personally, I will stick with,
"Question everything"

ESPECIALLY "authority"!