• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Temptation of Jesus, is it disputed by the book of John?

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
The story goes.. After Jesus was baptized, he travels to the wilderness, fasts 40 days, and is then tempted by the Devil. All this happens before the gathering his apostles and start of his ministry.

But notice...

The book of Mark makes only a small mention of it without the description of the temptations.
The books of Matthew and Luke mentions the three temptations but out of order. then says Jesus starts his calling of apostles.

But the book of John doesn't even give the fasting or temptation time to have happened after is baptism. The next day after he is baptized he was out gathering his apostles. The third day after is baptism he was turning water into wine.

The previous gospels were written well before the book of John.
1. Why was it scrubbed out of John's timeline?
2. Is this a disputed event in a later Gospel?
3. Is this a blot on the infallibility of the Bible having an account of the temptation contadicted?

74x12

The story goes.. After Jesus was baptized, he travels to the wilderness, fasts 40 days, and is then tempted by the Devil. All this happens before the gathering his apostles and start of his ministry.

But notice...

The book of Mark makes only a small mention of it without the description of the temptations.
The books of Matthew and Luke mentions the three temptations but out of order. then says Jesus starts his calling of apostles.

But the book of John doesn't even give the fasting or temptation time to have happened after is baptism. The next day after he is baptized he was out gathering his apostles. The third day after is baptism he was turning water into wine.

3. Is this a blot on the infallibility of the Bible having an account of the temptation contadicted?
No ... if you carefully examine the book of John we see that it never mentions the baptism of Jesus but John claims he had already seen the Spirit descend like a dove on Jesus. So that means the baptism of Jesus happened previously because we know that it was when Jesus was baptized that the Spirit descended on Him like a dove. So the narrative in John takes place some (unspecified) time after the baptism and temptation of Christ.

John 1
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.
35 Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;
36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!
37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
I don't think your on the same page. An exemption of the act of baptism in Johns account (which act can be assumed) verses a totaly different timeline exempting possibility of the temptation described by other Gospels that took 40 plus days.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

But notice...

Not sure what the problem is here.

Did you want John to say it? Did you want all the other books to have it in the same order? Why? Is there a reason you think that John's relating of the life of Jesus happened in just a couple of days? (After all, his depiction of the birth of Jesus was a moment but in the other gospels it was 9 months.)

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
Not sure what the problem is here.

Did you want John to say it? Did you want all the other books to have it in the same order? Why? Is there a reason you think that John's relating of the life of Jesus happened in just a couple of days? (After all, his depiction of the birth of Jesus was a moment but in the other gospels it was 9 months.)
There seems to be an obvious timeline contradiction between John and the other Gospels. Order isn't the problem.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

But notice...

It's basically evidence of a redacted work of literature from various authors who are conveniently unknown with no idea who penned the Gospels save for conjecture and speculation.

It would help a lot if we had a chronological record of when each gospel was written that might help pave the way to a better picture as to why these discrepancies exist.

The Anointed

No ... if you carefully examine the book of John we see that it never mentions the baptism of Jesus but John claims he had already seen the Spirit descend like a dove on Jesus. So that means the baptism of Jesus happened previously because we know that it was when Jesus was baptized that the Spirit descended on Him like a dove. So the narrative in John takes place some (unspecified) time after the baptism and temptation of Christ.

John 1
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.
35 Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;
36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!
37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.
Correct! John the beloved disciple, does not give a specific time between the day that Jesus was baptized, and the day that the Baptist was questioned by the Jewish authorities when he was baptizing in Bethany on the east side of the Jordan river. The next day after being questioned by the authorities and having told them about the time he baptized Jesus and saw the spirit descend upon him in the form of a dove and heard the heavenly voice say of Jesus; "You are my son, THIS DAY I have begotten thee," he saw Jesus coming toward him.

John knew Jesus the son of his cousin Mary and believed that Jesus was much greater than he and that he was not worthy enough to baptize him, but he did not know that he was the one chosen by "The Light of Man" to baptize with the spirit until after he had baptized him and had seen the spirit descend upon him in the form of a dove, etc..

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
Correct! John the beloved disciple, does not give a specific time between the day that Jesus was baptized, and the day that the Baptist was questioned by the Jewish authorities when he was baptizing in Bethany on the east side of the Jordan river. The next day after being questioned by the authorities and having told them about the time he baptized Jesus and saw the spirit descend upon him in the form of a dove and heard the heavenly voice say of Jesus; "You are my son, THIS DAY I have begotten thee," he saw Jesus coming toward him.

John knew Jesus the son of his cousin Mary and believed that Jesus was much greater than he and that he was not worthy enough to baptize him, but he did not know that he was the one chosen by "The Light of Man" to baptize with the spirit until after he had baptized him and had seen the spirit descend upon him in the form of a dove, etc..
So I get what your saying now.. that these verses are not when Jesus was baptized but says John is baring witness to when he saw it in a previous time.

The Anointed

So I get what your saying now.. that these verses are not when Jesus was baptized but says John is baring witness to when he saw it in a previous time.

Correct! It had to have been at least 40 days after he had baptized Jesus, that the Jewish authorities in Jerusalem sent some priests and Levites to John, who at that time was baptizing on the eastern side of the Jordan River near Bethany and ask him who he was.

After being questioned by them and telling them about the time he saw the spirit descend upon Jesus in the form of a dove as he came up out of the baptismal waters, he then saw the man Jesus again, who had been led off into the wilderness and tempted for 40 days.

John knew that Jesus, the son of his cousin Mary was being groomed by the Zealots as the King who was to reign on the throne of David and free them from the yoke of Rome and was much greater than he, that is why he believed that he was not worthy enough to baptize him, but he did not know that Jesus was the one chosen by 'THE LIGHT OF MAN' who had sent him to baptize with water, to be the one who would baptize with the spirit.