• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The System Works! A Quarter of all US children went hungry last year!

Alceste

Vagabond
Where's Rick? I'm sure he can explain to us that a quarter of American children managed to bring hunger upon themselves through laziness and insufficient boot-strapping, not to mention sniveling for hand-outs from good, hard-working, tax-paying zillionaires like Paris Hilton.

MissAlice

That's the problem with cheap food, it has no nutritional value except for fat. .

"Let them eat cake" she said.....:eat:

Last edited:

Zephyr

Moved on
These families couldn't get food stamps? :(
Hahaha that's a good one. Did you really think our social systems were anything but unbelievably inadequate? I found out a few weeks ago that my dad's been trying to get on Medicaid for years to treat PTSD with no luck.
That's the problem with cheap food, it has no nutritional value except for fat. .
Nah, you can eat healthy and cheap if you can cook. That's the big problem though: when you have to work multiple jobs just to barely survive, and companies conveniently keep you below full time to deny benefits, you just don't have the time.

"Let them eat cake" she said.....:eat:
No she didn't, and even if she did it doesn't mean what you think it does.

E: Nvm, scratch that, apparently the original is "qu'ils mangent de la brioche", which does refer to a rich bread. I was under the impression that it was referring to the "cake" that forms in bread ovens while cooking dough. Still, though it's usually attributed to Marie Antoinette, it's highly unlikely she ever uttered those words.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You're all missing the big picture. With all the overweight and obese kids, it all averages out. I'm sure our gross tonnage of children has actually increased, and that's what's important.

Zephyr

Moved on
You're all missing the big picture. With all the overweight and obese kids, it all averages out. I'm sure our gross tonnage of children has actually increased, and that's what's important.

Gotta love how we actually managed to achieve a correlation between poverty and obesity, where logically it should be the opposite. That's cheap junk food and horribly underfunded public schooling and lack of basic health classes for you...

Aquitaine

Wow this comes as news to me, and it's very concerning.

25%? Jesus.

I always thought the US was producing more than enough food for it's own Citizens. I'm not an expert on America, although I've been there a few times, I guess when one is wowed by so much stuff over there, and all the glamour, it's hard to realise the actual problems etc.

:shrug:

I guess what the US needs to do is focus less on the crap junk food and more on the basic neccessities, right?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Oh, come on! Obviously, these kids need to be taught how to start their own businesses and feed themselves! I mean, look at all the immigrants who come here and work hard and achieve success.

Why does everyone want a hand-out from the government. I earn all of my money and I deserve to keep it! I don't need to be paying for other people's health care so they can just get fat and not take care of themselves.

The only fair way to deal with this situation is the Fair Tax. I mean, it must be fair, since it says it right in the name, right?

Zephyr

Moved on
You know, hunger can be a positive motivator.

E: For those not in the know, that phrase was uttered by a Republican state representative in opposition to a reduced-price lunch program for elementary school students. I can dig up an article if you want.

Last edited:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The new health bill is sure to fix all this. Not only it will it increase abortions but it may even contribute to decreasing global warming.