• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sun Is a Boy

Ella S.

*temp banned*
What is the singular form of the gender neutral pronoun.

Singular "they" and "them" have been used in English for centuries now.

For instance, "I don't know who the thief was, but they left their fingerprints on the door so we can probably catch them."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Someone, in another thread, *cough* @The Hammer *cough* used the feminine pronoun to describe the sun.

Back in my days as a Neo-Pagan, it was crystal clear to me that the sun is a boy and the moon is a girl (or more accurately, the sun represents the God, and the moon represents the Goddess.

Please tell @The Hammer the sun is a boy so we can all rest quietly under the Goddess' light as she wanes.

Thank you for your help in this matter.
Gilbert and Sullivan definitively resolved the question of the genders of sun and moon in their operetta "The Mikado:"

The sun, whose rays, are all ablaze, with ever-living glory,
Does not deny, his majesty, he scorns to tell a story!
He don't exclaim, "I blush for shame, so kindly be indulgent."
But, fierce and bold, in fiery gold, he glories all effulgent!

Observe his flame, that placid dame, the moon's Celestial Highness;
There's not a trace, upon her face, of diffidence or shyness:
She borrows light, that through the night, mankind may all acclaim her!
And, truth to tell, she lights up well, so I for one, don't blame her!

Jolly

I've always disliked the Male sun, Female moon dichotomy. I've always felt the Sun was feminine and the moon masculine, and wouldn't you know, it was in Germanic polytheism ;).

The Sun was represented by the female Goddess Sunna or Sól, and the Moon represented by the male God, Mani.

Sol and Mani - Norse Mythology for Smart People

Yeah it's true the sun is seen as female in the German language as the moon is seen as Male.

In Latin languages it is the opposite.

I prefer seeing the moon as female. Female hormone Cycles symobolicly relate, men dont have these hormonal changes like women and remain more hormonally consistent, like the sun doesn't change.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yeah it's true the sun is seen as female in the German language as the moon is seen as Male.

In Latin languages it is the opposite.

I prefer seeing the moon as female. Female hormone Cycles symobolicly relate, men dont have these hormonal changes like women and remain more hormonally consistent, like the sun doesn't change.

Idk... My hormones are absolutely influenced by my wife's.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Someone, in another thread, *cough* @The Hammer *cough* used the feminine pronoun to describe the sun.

Back in my days as a Neo-Pagan, it was crystal clear to me that the sun is a boy and the moon is a girl (or more accurately, the sun represents the God, and the moon represents the Goddess.

Please tell @The Hammer the sun is a boy so we can all rest quietly under the Goddess' light as she wanes.

You know, we even have an English phrase about seeing "the Man in the Moon", so I still think Male moon is the winner here ;)

How old is the ‘Man in the Moon’? | BBC Science Focus Magazine

Brian2

Veteran Member
Singular "they" and "them" have been used in English for centuries now.

For instance, "I don't know who the thief was, but they left their fingerprints on the door so we can probably catch them."

That works, but I think it would sound wrong in many instances and even give an inaccurate message of plurality in many instances.
"It" however is not right when speaking about living persons, no matter what they sexuality.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I read a Cherokee myth where the sun is a girl.

Fallen Prophet

What is a boy?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have a horse in this race, so feel free to bribe me and I'll pull convincing faces and nod along at pretty much any argument.
For a quite reasonable additional fee, I can add museful chin-stroking.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether the Sun is male or female, I don't know, but Sunny is female, at least from what I can gather from the song.

Rubbish...

images

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I guess I see the sun as male because it's intense and can be damaging if you look at it or stay out in it too long. The moon, on the other hand, is soft and gentle. That's just my thinking though. I won't speak for anyone else.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I see the sun as male because it's intense and can be damaging if you look at it or stay out in it too long. The moon, on the other hand, is soft and gentle. That's just my thinking though. I won't speak for anyone else.

If you were flying a space shuttle towards it and lost control, you might not see the moon as particularly soft or gentle...lol

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
When you are flying a space shuttle and lost control, would you be rather near the moon or the sun?

Well...the moon, on face value.
But if I was close to the Sun, that's one sophisticated space shuttle, so who knows? That means the space shuttle and me have made it 150 million kilometres...

:)

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
In Japanese mythology, the sun is represented by the female kami, Amaterasu (who is largely considered one of if not the most kami in Japan, so important in fact that her symbol is emblazoned on the flag and was the kami that kamikaze fighters died for) and the moon is her younger brother, Tsukuyomi.

So in Japan, the sun is considered a feminine force and the moon is a masculine force.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well...the moon, on face value.
But if I was close to the Sun, that's one sophisticated space shuttle, so who knows? That means the space shuttle and me have made it 150 million kilometres...

I suppose there may be a slim chance of survival if one crashes into the Moon, depending on how badly the craft is damaged and whether or not another shuttle can perform a timely rescue before the oxygen runs out.

With the Sun, if you crash into the Sun...well, actually you wouldn't crash into the Sun. Probably end up getting vaporized long before reaching the surface. That would literally be going out in a blaze of glory.