• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sun Is a Boy

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In Hinduism, both the sun and the Moon are male (Surya, Soma or Chandra). Dawn (Usha) and night (Ratri) are female. The turning points of the day (night to morning, day to afternoon and evening to night) are Sandhyas, female. Sandhi means union. Sandhya is Sun God's wife. Her two sons are Shani, (Saturn, who is the judge for human actions during the life) and Yama (who is the judge for human actions after death). Usha's description in RigVeda is ambiguous. She is variously called the mother, sister or wife of the Sun.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Someone, in another thread, *cough* @The Hammer *cough* used the feminine pronoun to describe the sun.

Back in my days as a Neo-Pagan, it was crystal clear to me that the sun is a boy and the moon is a girl (or more accurately, the sun represents the God, and the moon represents the Goddess.

Please tell @The Hammer the sun is a boy so we can all rest quietly under the Goddess' light as she wanes.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Hey. What is a female pronoun for the SUN? You mean in English or another language?

firedragon

Veteran Member
The sun is both masculine and feminine. It all depends on perspective and I've felt both energies fit thinking on the sun and the moon.

They are talking from the linguistic perspective brother. It's like, let's say in English we refer to a ship as "she". It's not that the ship is actually a female. In some languages there are feminine, masculine, plural words where none of them actually represent the reality but a linguistic reference to it's majesty.

That's why I find this discussion fascinating.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've always disliked the Male sun, Female moon dichotomy. I've always felt the Sun was feminine and the moon masculine, and wouldn't you know, it was in Germanic polytheism ;).
And it still is in the German language, die Sonne, der Mond. But I think our Latin based neighbours got it right, le Soleil, la Lune.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
In English we tend not to have artificial genders attached to nouns. It is one of the few good points about the language.

Yet I still think of particular nouns as having a gender one way or the other.

Tree is male, fork is male, spoon female, door male, shelf female, couch male, bed female. Etc etc.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Someone, in another thread, *cough* @The Hammer *cough* used the feminine pronoun to describe the sun.

Back in my days as a Neo-Pagan, it was crystal clear to me that the sun is a boy and the moon is a girl (or more accurately, the sun represents the God, and the moon represents the Goddess.

Please tell @The Hammer the sun is a boy so we can all rest quietly under the Goddess' light as she wanes.

The sun is Lugh, the moon is Cerridwen.
Now go rest.:p

Brian2

Veteran Member

Rocks are male according to my wife who uses the masculine pronoun for them when we are working with them in the garden.
I guess that would make the moon is male also.
But who knows these days when the gender would be determined by what the moon thinks/feels that it is.
Or in this case, since the moon does not think or feel, by what you think or feel about the gender of the moon.
But if you think the moon does think or feel, it might be a good idea to consult with the moon about his/her gender just in case you offend ahhh.........it.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
But who knows these days when the gender would be determined by what the moon thinks/feels that it is.

I suspect that you don't know what gender is.

But if you think the moon does think or feel, it might be a good idea to consult with the moon about his/her gender just in case you offend ahhh.........it.

The gender neutral pronoun in English is "them," not "it," and, yes, it is polite to refer to people as "them" when you don't know their gender identity.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yet I still think of particular nouns as having a gender one way or the other.

Tree is male, fork is male, spoon female, door male, shelf female, couch male, bed female. Etc etc.

Hey! Someone else thinks that way, too! Cool! Though I'd argue couch is female(especially if you call it a sofa).

What if Venus is a boy?

I recently discovered there was a deity called Aphroditus; essentially Aphrodite with an attachment...

Clara Tea

It makes sense that a sun is a son.

But shouldn't a daughter be a girlilla or gargirl?

And what's up with pluto? They demoted Mickey's dog to a planetoid?

I saw a movie "Journey to the Seventh Planet." But why did they call it the 7th planet rather than using its name?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Nice to see so many creative responses
Nice to see RF-ers can share w/o fights

I wonder why Religion & God makes people so touchy and why sun and moon beliefs make people much more "cool", even when disagreeing

Clara Tea

In Hinduism, both the sun and the Moon are male (Surya, Soma or Chandra). Dawn (Usha) and night (Ratri) are female. The turning points of the day (night to morning, day to afternoon and evening to night) are Sandhyas, female. Sandhi means union. Sandhya is Sun God's wife. Her two sons are Shani, (Saturn, who is the judge for human actions during the life) and Yama (who is the judge for human actions after death). Usha's description in RigVeda is ambiguous. She is variously called the mother, sister or wife of the Sun.

https://genius.com/Black-lab-sun-and-moon-lyrics

"I set myself on fire against the falling night."

"You are the sun, You are the moon."

The sun and the moon dominate the sky, so it makes sense to worship them, or anthropomorphize them in romantic poems.

So, it stands to reason that whole religions would be based on celestrial objects (mysterious, distant, poorly understood by early mankind).

Clara Tea

Nice to see so many creative responses
Nice to see RF-ers can share w/o fights

I wonder why Religion & God makes people so touchy and why sun and moon beliefs make people much more "cool", even when disagreeing

The Cancel Culture wants to make sure that we know that we are free to express any opinion that we want, as long as it agrees with their opinions.

Many forums tame original thinkers. They end up talking about sewing or cooking, because they will be kicked out otherwise.

Perhaps the dictators are the last ones who should be in charge?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
In evil men's coughing terms.

A lying baby child boy to man human theist said I am a human man's son.

As a man theist once a boy as a son now a man said I name the sun as a lesser body than my status a son.

As a man scientist liar who claims he is allowed to give title subject it's name as just a human and not a God one position...God doesn't talk. Created creation.

Was always just a human man egotist.

Why that same man can compare a living human life to electricity.

Gives my woman life a bio chemistry an electric thesis himself. As just a man. Yet I'm a human the same as he is.

Then goes about trying to burn us to death in our heavens as he wants to invent electricity in our heavens himself. As the position first the thesis.

So he takes any topic infers just his man thesis so he can then destroy the origin topic owner. Subject body. Not his topic in reality.

Why the bible legal status already named him our destroyer.

As coal an already burnt mass is where he invented by man's presence electricity. Not for bio living for a machine.

And a moon is a moon asteroid. That nearly destroyed earth but saved earth also. In the womb space zero maths science you say it's female. Fake.

As a criminal liar.

Supposedly men say women's men..notice men is stated menstrual period was affected by the moon. A completely different topic.

But men prove they try string all evil thoughts about a human woman to their subject...science maths.

I suppose it's what you do when a man makes maths science machine their life partner instead of a human woman.

They now think they're part men machine too.

Man i.e. CH. By thesis only not natural life.