• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sufis

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
How did Sufism begin as a movement historically? Was it influenced by Hinduism and Buddhism, or does it draw all it's teachings solely from the Prophet? What is Sufi teaching regarding the nature of Allah and Allah within his devotees? I appreciate the answers, thanks.

How did Sufism begin as a movement historically? Was it influenced by Hinduism and Buddhism, or does it draw all it's teachings solely from the Prophet? What is Sufi teaching regarding the nature of Allah and Allah within his devotees? I appreciate the answers, thanks.

It depends on who you talk to, but some will say that Sufism is the inner deminsion of Islam, while others will say that it is outside of Islam. Sufism actually predates Islam and has many similarities with Buddhism and Hinduism. They talk about losing the ego or dropping the lower self. Some have even spoke about becomming one with Allah and were killed for such statements. So, to conclude, some say its apart of Islam, some say its not. I say that it is Islam in its purest form.

Rainbow Mage

I have to agree with you, because the Quran does say Allah is nearer to a man then his jugular vein, which is inside the person. Yet when I bring up this verse, some say it's not speaking of Allah within.

.lava

Veteran Member
hi Yosef :) you can read anything i could say in this website with words of my teacher. you are welcomed to ask questions if you had any

Rainbow Mage

Ok, thank you .lava. I always did like Sufis. You recall that I am formerly a Shi'ite, that's why I wonder why people think I attack Islam when I point out extremism? I always did as a Shia too. Shias don't like extremism.

Rainbow Mage

.Lava does Sufism have beliefs similar to Jewish Kabbalah? I've always heard you do

.lava

Veteran Member
.Lava does Sufism have beliefs similar to Jewish Kabbalah? I've always heard you do

oh. but i don't know Kabbalah. so i can't compare. as you may already know Islam means submission. in this path we submit our Spirits, physical bodies, egos and free wills to God. it takes a life time. i mean, to say "i am submitting my free will to God" would not do it. i mean it literally. path ends by seeing God itself. so basically it is about reaching God before death

Rainbow Mage

Submitting the ego, is similar to like Buddhism and Hinduism? Asceticism? Denying the carnal flesh?

.lava

Veteran Member
Submitting the ego, is similar to like Buddhism and Hinduism? Asceticism? Denying the carnal flesh?

in our teachings there are 12 vices of ego is stated. there are also 12 virtues of Spirit. shortly we turn vices of ego into virtues of Spirit. we have daily practices to make that happen along with salaats, fastings..etc

Alulu

Your questions depends on who you ask.

Sufism is the "Western" name for this science of the heart. Within Sunni Islam this science is called tasawwuf. The Muslim putting in into practice is called a Sufi. Just as in the early history of Islam sciences such as Islamic law developed (fiqh), Islamic theologic reasoning (ilm al-kalam) and for example Quran interpration (tafsir) developed, so did tasawwuf or known as Sufism. Where the others sciences are about the outer aspects of the religion Sufism is about the essence of Islam and personal relationship of a Muslim with God.
In Sunni Islam it has always been explained as having a base in a authentic saying of Muhammad where Gabriel asked him what Islam was and the last, perfect, stage of it was: "worshipping God as if you see Him, and if you do not knowing that He sees you". This stage is called ihsan, which means something such as excellence. So this is the goal of the Sufi's, to achieve this state. Many times you will come across explanations of subjugating the "ego"/desire which stands as a barrier between human beings relation with God and to fully submit to Him, as can be read in poetry written by Sufi's for example. One way of doing that is remembering God by heart and in all parts of life, of which some Sufi's use methods in gatherings and/or if your alone.

Famous Islamic universities such Al Azhar in Cairo (most renowned Sunni university throughout history), Al-Qarawiyin in Fes or Zaytuna in Tunis all teach, and teached throughout their history, Sufism as a legitimate science within orthodox (sunni) Islam. Though there might be differences of opinion or criticism about certain methods used (to achieve this excellence in worshipping) and what is preferred and/or not allowed by Islamic law when related to worshipping God.

PS: This is the Sufism as can be found in orthodox Sunni Islam and is still present in many Muslim countries (the majority have a huge history when it comes to Sufism and the spread of Islam for example).

Last edited:
Ok, thank you .lava. I always did like Sufis. You recall that I am formerly a Shi'ite, that's why I wonder why people think I attack Islam when I point out extremism? I always did as a Shia too. Shias don't like extremism.

Hi, you stated that you were a former Shia. What are you now if you dont mind telling.

Salams

.lava

Veteran Member
What are these twelve?

let's see if i could remember all of them :)

1-Ignorance
2-Addiction
3-Gossip
4-Revenge
5-Rage
6-Assumption
7-Lie
8-Rebel

hmm.. i could not. i'll check it and complete later if you don't mind