• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Style of Debate in Ancient India

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I came to learn today while listening to a Vedanta talk that the style of debate in ancient India went like this...

If you state something, before I can reply, I must restate to you what you said to your satisfaction. “Is this your position on the subject?” If the answer is “yes,” only then can I reply.

Just imagine how many misunderstandings would be prevented if we used that style of debate here at RF...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Interesting.

I used that when teaching, especially in the hallway 'counseling' sessions. It's a useful technique in a lot of situations. Boss needs to use it on me more. Difficult when dealing with ESL types like our priests.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I came to learn today while listening to a Vedanta talk that the style of debate in ancient India went like this...

If you state something, before I can reply, I must restate to you what you said to your satisfaction. “Is this your position on the subject?” If the answer is “yes,” only then can I reply.

Just imagine how many misunderstandings would be prevented if we used that style of debate here at RF...

On RF ?
Just imagine how that could revolutionise relationships and marriage !

Of course, if debating with a narcissist, they will always say ‘no, that is not what I said or meant’...even if it was !

ManSinha

“Is this your position on the subject?” If the answer is “yes,” only then can I reply.

While not a debate - this is recognized as a valuable teaching tool in medicine hand-offs where the nurse educator or the patient advocate tries to encourage the patient to tell him/her in the patient's own words what they understood. In my experience in Population Health - it has gone a ways in avoiding misunderstandings about follow-ups and new and discontinued medications. It is called "teach-back". FWIW

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The vast majority of disputes on RF are fundamentally semantic in nature.

One of the most perennial popular ways people on RF fight each other begins with them defining their terms differently. That alone is at least half of all the arguments on this board. What I cannot fathom is how an internet forum populated solely by geniuses can so very frequently fall into arguments that are essentially moronic in nature. It's a mystery.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Of course, if debating with a narcissist, they will always say ‘no, that is not what I said or meant’...even if it was !
"No Contact" is the "Best Contact" when it comes to narcissists
So, be happy, they give it to you on a "golden plate"
Just accept it, and turn to "No Contact"

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

doesn't matter; if both sides aren't willing to drink from the same cup of human kindness as another poster pointed out. takes two tango

Last edited:

MNoBody

The vast majority of disputes on RF are fundamentally semantic in nature.

One of the most perennial popular ways people on RF fight each other begins with them defining their terms differently. That alone is at least half of all the arguments on this board. What I cannot fathom is how an internet forum populated solely by geniuses can so very frequently fall into arguments that are essentially moronic in nature. It's a mystery.
not really that mysterious
this is a religious forum which shares information and hopes to rationally discuss ideological concepts that people may hold dear, using text symbology to communicate....words....spells....ideas...propaganda
and people get emotionally attached to ideas in the form of words which they feel the need to defend ....no matter what, at times, when it touches on areas where there is corrupted code [wetware] running in the individual, and every human is obviously affected in some manner.

stalin allegedly said that " ideas are dangerous, we ought not let people have them', or something to that effect...to which one could add a thought bubble over his head which reads "unless they are our ideas."

Heyo

Veteran Member

So, you are saying we should use an ancient, outdated, Hinduistic, religious praxis to avoid misunderstandings in a modern world?

(See what I did there?)