• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The studies on Muslims, so far, have shown that religiosity is associated with criminality

charlie sc

For Christianity, religiosity has shown a negative correlation with crime. In other words, the more religious someone is, the less likely they'll commit a crime. Islam displays a different picture. There aren't many studies on Muslims, but the ones that do exist show disturbing correlations. There's a slight difference however. Unlike Christianity, where religiosity generally negatively correlates with crime, there are only certain aspects of Islam and religiosity that positively correlate with crime. Out of the three studies analysed here, they found different aspects of Islam are associated with crime.

Baier(2013) found among 16 545 males students in Germany, the Muslim students were more likely to commit crime and the Christian students were less likely. When Muslim students drank infrequently, they found an increase in criminality. When they ran the same test on Christian students, they found no difference. They also found that Muslim men tended to associate with male chauvinism.

Beller et al.(2018a) found among 761 Muslim schoolchildren in Germany, "religious fundamentalism and perceived religious discrimination predict higher delinquency rates."

Finally, Beller et al.,(2018b) collected self report data from 6576 Muslims in 10 countries and found that Muslims that attended Mosques were more likely to endorse extreme violence(e.g. suicide bombing). However, other factors were more likely to reduce support for extreme violence like avidly reading the Quran or high frequency of prayer. edited for correction

There's not much evidence and more research is needed, but there's a clear mechanism difference between the protective factors of religiosity in Islam vs Christianity. Would anyone care to take a guess why and perhaps people have more to add?

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
For Christianity, religiosity has shown a negative correlation. In other words, the more religious someone is, the less likely they'll commit a crime. Islam displays a different picture. There aren't many studies on Muslims, but the ones that do exist show disturbing correlations. There's a slight difference however. Unlike Christianity, where religiosity generally negatively correlates with crime, there are only certain aspects of Islam and religiosity that positively correlate with crime. Out of the three studies analysed here, they found different aspects of Islam are associated with crime.

Baier(2013) found among 16 545 males students in Germany, the Muslim students were more likely to commit crime and the Christian students were less likely. When Muslim students drank infrequently, they found an increase in criminality. When they ran the same test on Christian students, they found no difference.

Beller et al.(2018a) found among 761 Muslim schoolchildren in Germany, "religious fundamentalism and perceived religious discrimination predict higher delinquency rates."

Finally, Beller et al.,(2018b) collected self report data from 6576 Muslims in 26 countries and found that Muslims that attended Mosques were more likely to endorse extreme violence(e.g. suicide bombing). However, other factors were more likely to reduce support for extreme violence like avidly reading the Quran or high frequency of prayer.

There's not much evidence and more research is needed, but there's a clear mechanism difference between the protective factors of religiosity in Islam vs Christianity. Would anyone care to take a guess why and perhaps people have more to add?
I would be interested to see how these statistics of Muslims in Western countries would compare to statistics of Muslims in Islamic countries. I think there might be a correlation (not a causation) between poverty and lower socioeconomic status and being Muslim in many Western countries; oftentimes, especially in Europe, Muslims tend to come from Turkish, Afghani, Pakistani, Iraqi and Syrian backgrounds, and often came to those countries either as guest workers or as refugees--in other words, they're generally poorer than the native population on average. It would seem to me that poverty is very likely a large contributing factor as to why more religious Muslims in these countries are found to have higher delinquency rates.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For Christianity, religiosity has shown a negative correlation with crime. In other words, the more religious someone is, the less likely they'll commit a crime. Islam displays a different picture. There aren't many studies on Muslims, but the ones that do exist show disturbing correlations. There's a slight difference however. Unlike Christianity, where religiosity generally negatively correlates with crime, there are only certain aspects of Islam and religiosity that positively correlate with crime. Out of the three studies analysed here, they found different aspects of Islam are associated with crime.

Baier(2013) found among 16 545 males students in Germany, the Muslim students were more likely to commit crime and the Christian students were less likely. When Muslim students drank infrequently, they found an increase in criminality. When they ran the same test on Christian students, they found no difference. They also found that Muslim men tended to associate with male chauvinism.

Finally, Beller et al.,(2018b) collected self report data from 6576 Muslims in 26 countries and found that Muslims that attended Mosques were more likely to endorse extreme violence(e.g. suicide bombing). However, other factors were more likely to reduce support for extreme violence like avidly reading the Quran or high frequency of prayer.

I have just one question.
Why do you guys keep mocking Muslims and Christian people? is it not time to stop the mocking and let people believe what they want? do you take pleasure in mocking religious people?

Last edited:

charlie sc

I would be interested to see how these statistics of Muslims in Western countries would compare to statistics of Muslims in Islamic countries.
Yeah, me too. I think I found one earlier but they said there were so many limitations. I think it's fairly difficult to perform studies like this in developing countries.

Muslims tend to come from Turkish, Afghani, Pakistani, Iraqi and Syrian backgrounds, and often came to those countries either as guest workers or as refugees--in other words, they're generally poorer than the native population on average. It would seem to me that poverty is very likely a large contributing factor as to why more religious Muslims in these countries are found to have higher delinquency rates.
One of the studies did measure disadvantages. Even though it was not significant, you can see lower rates. Yeah, it may have a cumulative effect.

charlie sc

I have just one question.
Why do you guys keep mocking Muslims and Christian people? is it not time to stop the mocking ad let people believe what they want? do you take pleasure in mocking religious people?
Do you find this information offensive?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do you find this information offensive?
I find it to be incorrect, because no matter if it is a Muslim or Christian, it is the human being who does the criminal act, not the religion.
It would be much better if it did not say anything about what religion these people have.

Religion does not do criminality, only people do. and if they do criminality they should not be seen as religious I the first place.

charlie sc

I find it to be incorrect, because no matter if it is a Muslim or Christian, it is the human being who does the criminal act, not the religion.
It would be much better if it did not say anything about what religion these people have.

Religion does not do criminality, only people do. and if they do criminality they should not be seen as religious I the first place.
I understand that religion does not do criminality and people do, but people are influenced by ideas, rituals, social circles, society, etc. As an example, after WW2, Milgram was curious why soldiers in the Nazi army could do unspeakable things and many said, in their trial, they were ordered to but didn't want to(as I recall). So, he designed an experiment to see just how much people have be influenced by authority figures(this type of study is not allowed anymore). He was told by experts that only a few psychopaths would choose to hurt someone or kill someone if they were told to by an authority figure. He did it anyway and found quite a few people were willing, or unwilling but did it anyway, to kill someone if an authority figure told them to even though they didn't want to. So, to say just people kill people is somewhat lacking in complexity, because human behaviour is quite complex and fallible.
This is why the sciences are so important. We can understand our behaviour and how it relates to everything else. Let's not think knowledge is burdensome :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I understand that religion does not do criminality and people do, but people are influenced by ideas, rituals, social circles, society, etc. As an example, after WW2, Milgrim was curious why soldiers in the Nazi army could do unspeakable things and many said, in their trial, they were ordered to but didn't want to(as I recall). So, he designed an experiment to see just how much people have be influenced by authority figures(this type of study is not allowed anymore). He was told by experts that only a few psychopaths would choose to hurt someone or kill someone if they were told to by an authority figure. He did it anyway and found quite a few people were willing to kill someone if an authority figure told them to even though they didn't want to. So, to say just people kill people is somewhat lacking in complexity, because human behaviour is quite complex and fallible.
This is why the sciences are so important. We can understand our behaviour and how it relates to everything else. Let's not think knowledge is burdensome :)

Science is important in may aspect of life that i see too, But just as science is important to you and what you follow, same is for religious people who understand and follow the teaching because they understand it. But to say Muslims or Christians are better or worse then the other is totally non-important, we must see humanity as one, and more study culture differences then religion.

Science will never understand the religious way of life

charlie sc

Science is important in may aspect of life that i see too, But just as science is important to you and what you follow, same is for religious people who understand and follow the teaching because they understand it. But to say Muslims or Christians are better or worse then the other is totally non-important, we must see humanity as one, and more study culture differences then religion.

Science will never understand the religious way of life
I appreciate your view, but science does not say one is better than the other. We may all have preferences and opinions, but those are irrelevant when talking about evidence. I get that you want everyone to be considered as one, but imagine you put yourself, a Jew or a Gypsy into the hands of a Nazi. It really would not matter how peaceful they were, they would still be killed. Imagine a women in the medieval era that was accused of being a witch. It would not matter how much she wanted unity, she would still be burned at the stake. This is not really about religion or ideologies, it's about human behaviour and what is the evidence for this behaviour. Though, since this is a religious forum, I'll discuss religious topics in science.

In my opinion, the actual evidence is always better even if it's unpleasant.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I appreciate your view, but science does not say one is better than the other. We may all have preferences and opinions, but those are irrelevant when talking about evidence. I get that you want everyone to be considered as one, but imagine you put yourself, a Jew or a Gypsy into the hands of a Nazi. It really would not matter how peaceful they were, they would still be killed. Imagine a women in the medieval era that was accused of being a witch. It would not matter how much she wanted unity, she would still be burned at the stake. This is not really about religion or ideologies, it's about human behaviour and what is the evidence for this behaviour. Though, since this is a religious forum, I'll discuss religious topics in science.

In my opinion, the actual evidence is always better even if it's unpleasant.
In your example, I would keep my belief and let what happen happens. Why? Because i have no doubt in the path/teaching and as long i could stay mindful and not hate those who were about to kill me, i accept that i can not control what others going to do toward me. In the example, it would be they who do the evil deed.

charlie sc

In your example, I would keep my belief and let what happen happens. Why? Because i have no doubt in the path/teaching and as long i could stay mindful and not hate those who were about to kill me, i accept that i can not control what others going to do toward me. In the example, it would be they who do the evil deed.
And this is the perfect example why I, personally, prefer Buddhism to all other religions. Buddhism is a caring, kind, self-growth orientated and reflective ideology. When I look at the sciences for Buddhist stuff, the only stuff I find is how positive and good mindfulness is. Which, now that I think about it, will be my next post. Thanks. If everyone had your mindset, the world would be a much better place.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
And this is the perfect example why I, personally, prefer Buddhism to all other religions. Buddhism is a caring, kind, self-growth orientated and reflective ideology. When I look at the sciences for Buddhist stuff, the only stuff I find is how positive and good mindfulness is. Which, now that I think about it, will be my next post. Thanks. If everyone had your mindset, the world would be a much better place.
If everyone was thinking like me i would get scared :) just think how it would be to see my self everywhere i look :eek:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Baier(2013) found among 16 545 males students in Germany, the Muslim students were more likely to commit crime and the Christian students were less likely. When Muslim students drank infrequently, they found an increase in criminality. When they ran the same test on Christian students, they found no difference.
I speculate this is because those Muslims who drink, even if infrequently, are the religious doubters, whereas this would not indicate religious doubt in Christianity. Remember your other study from another thread measuring the criminality of religious doubters?
They also found that Muslim men tended to associate with male chauvinism.
Islam is a patriarchal religion, no surprise here

Not really surprised, although I doubt the correlation would be any different for JWs for example.

I would speculate that is because the ones who only regularly attend the mosque but don’t read/pray for themselves are the ones who have handed over control of their minds to the divines of Islam instead of thinking for themselves and as the saying goes absolute power corrupts absolutely.

exchemist

Veteran Member

There seems to me to be one rather obvious factor behind this. Muslims in Germany (and France and Italy, though not so much the UK) are among the poorest and most marginalised groups in society. You could do the same exercise in the USA and come to the conclusion that blacks tend to have criminal tendencies. But somehow I tend to think such a conclusion would be regarded as a tad naive, to put it at its kindest. ;)

Also the "male chauvinism" (which is not a crime at all - thankfully we do not yet have the thought police) and the support for terrorist ideology should be separated off from general criminal behaviour, as they obviously have specific cultural and political drivers. So there's a bit of muddle here which could lead to people making incorrect generalisations and, wittingly or not, feeding islamophobia.

So I would dispute your conclusion that there is a "clear mechanism difference" between Christianity and Islam regarding what you call protecting factors of religiosity. I do not think such a case can be made until a correction is applied for poverty and social exclusion.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I would be interested to see how these statistics of Muslims in Western countries would compare to statistics of Muslims in Islamic countries. I think there might be a correlation (not a causation) between poverty and lower socioeconomic status and being Muslim in many Western countries; oftentimes, especially in Europe, Muslims tend to come from Turkish, Afghani, Pakistani, Iraqi and Syrian backgrounds, and often came to those countries either as guest workers or as refugees--in other words, they're generally poorer than the native population on average. It would seem to me that poverty is very likely a large contributing factor as to why more religious Muslims in these countries are found to have higher delinquency rates.
Exactly.

Would actually be interesting to see an American study as Muslims there tend to be much more middle class than in Europe.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
For Christianity, religiosity has shown a negative correlation with crime. In other words, the more religious someone is, the less likely they'll commit a crime.

Studies in America show a higher rate of violent crime (per capita) in bible belt states,
US_crime_by_state.0.gif
And

Misinformation and Facts about Secularism and Religion

they also account for higher drug abuse rates.

Every so often someone puts a freedom of information request to the prison service in the US. They show a higher percentage of christian inmates than the general population and a lower percentage of non christian inmates than the general population.