• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stories of Genesis: Myth or Literally True

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
]

Right. So they can't be the source of life.

You said DNA was also not alive.

You have just provoe my point. Thanks.

And yet, DNA along with RNA and proteins, etc, *are* alive even though they are made from only 'dead elements'.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
]

Right. So they can't be the source of life.

Except that they *are*. Which means your biases against 'dead elements' are shown to be wrong.

Remember that the *default* 200 years ago was that there is a difference between the chemistry of living things and the chemistry of other things. That has been shown to be wrong. EVERY process that defines life is ultimately a chemical process. And those chemical processes ultimatelly involve only the elements of the periodic table.

This isn't dogmatism. This is the result of a couple of hundred years of accumulated knowledge. Pick up *any* book on biochemistry and you can find out for yourself what has been learned.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you really not understand that statements, no matter how dogmatic ARE NOT EVIDENCE? Do you really not understand that you must show HOW they prove the BB? No wonder you think evolution has been proved.

The red-shifts show expansion. They follow the pattern predicted ahead of time via general relativity. If you follow the velocities backward from those red-shifts, you get tp a hot dense state.

The abundances of the elements also show a previous hot dense state that where nuclear reactions happened. Furthermore, those nuclear reactions were cut off before they had a chance to reach equilibrium. Again, this is as predicted by thermodynamics combined with general relativity.

The cosmic background radiation has, contained in its distribution of temperatures, the evidence showing the specifics of the early universe. This is one of the reasons cosmology has become a precision science in the last 20 years.

So your denials just don't hold water. All you are doing is holding your hands over your ears and claiming "that's not evidence!" when it isn't just evidence, it is conclusive evidence.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you really not understand that statements, no matter how dogmatic ARE NOT EVIDENCE? Do you really not understand that you must show HOW they prove the BB? No wonder you think evolution has been proved.

Oh my. it is not my label. I am just posting what others, including real scientists label it.
Yes, it is a label. But that label doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. In this context, a scientific theory is one that has been demonstrated multiple times in a variety of situations. We verify special relativity every single day at particle accelerators. General relativity is accurate enough to predict the difference in how fast time flows in different stories of a building because of gravity.

Do you really not understand statements no mate how dogmatic ARE NOT EVIDENCE? Why is it wrong.
Do you really not understand that the statements are brief descriptions of the evidence? You refuse to learn enough to understand the evidence. You refuse to look at the actual journal articles with the evidence. And you deny any claims made in these forums as 'not evidence'.

I am not sure that is known yet. It seems that anything that is self-replicating is life and is necessary for life to function must have lie in it.
Yes, It *seems* to you that must be the case. How much biochemistry have you studied? Do you know *anything* at all about the chemistry of DNA? Do you know what it is made from? Do you know how it interacts with the other chemicals of life?

All life is made up of dead elements. No element has what is necessary to produce for life. You can't mix any number of dead elements and get life. Life must come from outside. [/QUOTE
You realize that dogmatic assertions are NOT EVIDENCE, right?

Do you really not understand that statements, no matter how dogmatic ARE NOT EVIDENCE?

Yes, the evidence for my statements come from the study of biochemistry. DNA ia a chemical like many others. It is made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, phosphorus; all 'dead chemicals in your mind. And yet it and the other chemicals involved in life do, in fact, produce life.And we know many of the specific reactions required for metabolism, for reproduction, etc. down to the level of proteins (which, again, are made from 'dead elements').

If you think your dogmatic statements are evidence, i t is you who does not know what constitutes evidence. Let me give you an example---The TOE is not based on real science.
Your dogmatic assertion does not negate the actual facts.

I have not dismissed it. I have ask you for the evidence that validates your statements.
And I have given them.

It takes more than observations. Red shifts and the universe expanding can be observed, but that in no way proves the BB. Again, you need to show HOW it proves the BB.

Your biggest problem is explaining where the matter and the energy originated to make a BB.
Nope. Not required for the BB picture: that the universe is expanding from a hot dense state where nuclear reactions were happening. This expansion started about 13.7 billion years ago according to the evidence we have.

I have little hesitation in saying a sickly pall now hangs over the BB theory. When a pattern of facts become set against a theory, experience shows that the theory rarely recovers---Fred Hoyle.

Hoyle was shown wrong when the background radiation was discovered. His steady state theory would be even *less* likely to win your approval, I suspect.

Milton Platt

Since God is omnipotent, there is no reason not to believe it is all literal. Everything that exists had to have a beginning or be eternal. IMO "God did it," is the most logical answer and that He did it as described in Genesis, is the most logical belief.

You need to first demonstrate that an omnipotent god exists and then demonstrate that he can create something. An assertion won't do.

Actually, things either have a beginning or they don't. Just because something may not have a beginning does not require it to be eternal. It may still have an ending, and therefore is not eternal.

Everything we have ever examined has turned out to have a natural cause once we understood it. Why would it then be logical to simply jump to a supernatural cause in this one instance just because we do not have a clear answer? It is actually more logical to assume, if you must assume anything, that there will be yet another thus far undiscovered natural explanation.

Better still, stop assuming anything devoid of evidence. Just be okay with "I don't know."

If anyone want to say it is allegory, find. Just remember that allegories are based on literal events. The only thing in the Bible called an allegory is in Gal 4:24-31 and we know Sarah and Hagar were literal people.

Allegories do not have to be based on truth. They can be used to represent an idea or concept, which may not necessarily be true.

Not only that, if you understand the allegory, you know it teaches a literal, spiritual truth.

No, you don't. The fact that you understand what an allegory was meant to represent by the writer does not establish the truth of the underlying idea or concept.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Do you really not understand that the statements are brief descriptions of the evidence? You refuse to learn enough to understand the evidence. You refuse to look at the actual journal articles with the evidence. And you deny any claims made in these forums as 'not evidence'.
The level of omega2xx's ignorance and dishonesty is staggering.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
But we are deconstructing what so many Christians believe is real history. Many will say, "good". And, if Creation and the Flood is not the truth, then it is good. But, it completely annihilates Christianity.

Annihilate? The language is too strong. Christianity is being redefined by revolutions in science, theology, and modernity. It is a process thats been happening for well over two hundred years.

All of its beliefs will start to crumble. Jesus as God? Gone. Jesus, the only way? Gone. Dying for our sins? Gone. The whole foundation of Christianity starts with Genesis.

The old narrative that has worked so well for so many centuries, no longer works. It no longer works because it is no longer plausible. The old must die eventually, as the young grows and flourishes.

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 7:24-27

with its "In the beginning God". We are taking jackhammers to it and poking holes into every thing they think is true. The question is... Are you sure you're right? Well, do ya?

Thank you for encouraging me to explore genesis. It is the low hanging fruit and almost too easy. Atheists are my friends. They are better Christians than the Christians.

Hey Adrian, how'd you like my Eastwood impression? Anyway, I'm going to go play guitar now. Something I doubt you have much time for these days. But, another thing, you probably have more in common with atheists on this thread than Christians. Isn't that a little odd to you?

I do like Clint Eastwood movies. Enjoy the music.

omega2xx

Understanding the stories of the first nine chapters of Genesis allegorically does not in anyway undermine an omnipotent God.

First of all, allegories have the roots in actual literal events. That is the definition of allegory. Second, how do you explain the universe?

Just because God can do something, does not mean He will do it or has done it. So our belief in an Omnipotent God does not rely on a literal interpretation of Genesis and I do recall you acknowledged as much earlier in the thread.

Of course God being able does no mean he did, but hen how did the universe, and all it contains. come into being, especially life

In the opinion of the vast majority of scientists (and I hold several science degrees) evidence of the natural sciences overwhelmingly does not support a literal account of genesis.
IMO, it is foolish to reject the supernatural using secular theology. Besides nothing in any of your science degrees can prove anything in the TOE, and they can't falsify "after their kind," which rejects evolution. The laws of genetics will not allow a leg to become a fin nor a nose to become a blowhole. A land animal surviving very will on land and then entering an environment hostile to its survival, refutes the standard, unscientific doctrine of "natural selection" and there is no possible way you can explain why that happened, let alone how it did.

Many of your fellow believers in Christ do not believe this. It would be interesting to do a survey. I am certain that the majority of Christians in my country do not believe in a literal account of genesis.

What people believe doesn't make it true. The believe like you do that evolution has been proven b y science. The believe it because they have been indoctrinated early in school that it is science and they are afraid to look at the real evidence.

The other consequence of holding onto outdated traditions is a movement away from Christianity.

What qualifies you to determine something what is an outdated tradition? Besides a literal view of Genesis is not a tradition. It is an interpretation of what the text clearly and simply says., and ther is no reason to say it is allegory, when we have an omnipotent God doing the work.

Many can no longer believe in what you believe as it is too implausible. I doubt if God would judge them harshly because of this. Next year in New Zealand's five year census the number of those without a religion is set to overtake the number who claim allegiance to Christianity.

Their is God is to small. with my God, noting is impossible.

Religion in New Zealand - Wikipedia

Truth is not determined by majority.

A literal resurrection of Jesus has similar problems to a literal interpretation of Genesis. I have demonstrated that even with an Omnipotent God, this narrative is highly implausible and needs to be abandoned. I know you don't agree and we both accept that neither of us is going to change the other's perspective.

The Scriptures say in several places He did. Why is it impossible for an omnipotent God?

Eventually the people vote with their feet. Time will tell which of us is correct.

For some it will be to late. That is the tragedy of all false religions.

omega2xx

And yet, DNA along with RNA and proteins, etc, *are* alive even though they are made from only 'dead elements'.

No matter how you twist it, lief can't have it source from what is lifeless.

All good sees have a life in them but it can't be found. It needs something outside of itself to generate the life in it. The same thing is true of lifeless elements. The also need a source outside of themselves to come to life.

omega2xx

Yes, it is a label. But that label doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. In this context, a scientific theory is one that has been demonstrated multiple times in a variety of situations.

No theory has ever been demonstrated several times and remains as theory. Once tey have been demonstrated, they graduate to a law. That is one reason evolution is still a theory.

We verify special relativity every single day at particle accelerators. General relativity is accurate enough to predict the difference in how fast time flows in different stories of a building because of gravity.

Do you really think making a dogmatic statement is evidence? Do you not realize you muSt include HOW it proves it?

They are not and you refuse to post the HOW'S. That is because you have no evidence of HOW
it proves the guess.

Yes, It *seems* to you that must be the case. How much biochemistry have you studied? Do you know *anything* at all about the chemistry of DNA? Do you know what it is made from? Do you know how it interacts with the other chemicals of life?

What I know is that you refusing to post any evidence is because you have none. You would if you could but YOU CAN'T.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No matter how you twist it, lief can't have it source from what is lifeless.
Life *is* a complex collection of chemical reactions. None of the basic elements involved in the chemistry of life is alive. So you are wrong.

All good sees have a life in them but it can't be found. It needs something outside of itself to generate the life in it. The same thing is true of lifeless elements. The also need a source outside of themselves to come to life.

You realize your dogmatic statements are not evidence nor proof?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No theory has ever been demonstrated several times and remains as theory. Once tey have been demonstrated, they graduate to a law. That is one reason evolution is still a theory.

That is false. Scientists are no longer inclined to use the word 'law' in regards to science because they are fully aware that new evidence can require changes in the basic understanding (even if they preserve much of the overall picture).

So, for example, Newton's 'law' of gravity is now known to be *wrong* in detail. It is still good enough for most jobs, but fails when high levels of accuracy are required. The replacement, the general 'theory' of relativity, is much more accurate and no observations have gone against it.

Similarly, Newton's three 'laws' of motion are now known to be only approximations. They have been replaced by either the 'theory' of relativity or quantum 'theory'. Both of these give much more accurate descriptions of the world than Newton's 'laws'.

In current scientific terminology, a 'theory' is a well-established collection of scientific ideas that has passed multiple tests. A 'hypothesis' is closer to what you think of as a theory, but even that has more content than what you seem to give a theory.

omega2xx

The red-shifts show expansion. They follow the pattern predicted ahead of time via general relativity. If you follow the velocities backward from those red-shifts, you get tp a hot dense state.

It does not show an expansion., It shows the light as 'shifted' towards the red part of the spectrum. A

The abundances of the elements also show a previous hot dense state that where nuclear reactions happened. Furthermore, those nuclear reactions were cut off before they had a chance to reach equilibrium. Again, this is as predicted by thermodynamics combined with general relativity.

Again not true, and again not evidence. HOW does the number of elements indicate a previous anything, let along a hot dense state. The number of elements also does not show a nuclear reaction Thermodynamics doe snot predict that.

The cosmic background radiation has, contained in its distribution of temperatures, the evidence showing the specifics of the early universe. This is one of the reasons cosmology has become a precision science in the last 20 years.

You continue to omit the HOW and cosmology could be the poster child for wild imaginations. None of their theology can be proven.

So your denials just don't hold water. All you are doing is holding your hands over your ears and claiming "that's not evidence!" when it isn't just evidence, it is conclusive evidence.

Get a good dictionary and look up "evidence> Until you include the HOW, don't expect a response.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It does not show an expansion., It shows the light as 'shifted' towards the red part of the spectrum. A
And what are the known reasons for such to happen?

Again not true, and again not evidence. HOW does the number of elements indicate a previous anything, let along a hot dense state. The number of elements also does not show a nuclear reaction Thermodynamics doe snot predict that.

Yes, actually, it does, in the context of general relativity. And yes, the abundances of the light elements *does* show that there was a stage of nuclear reactions at one stage of the early universe. That is why we have hydrogen, deuterium, helium, and lithium from that time period and nothing past that. The details involve the reaction cross sections of the various reactions.

sealchan

I agree with you. However there are some Christians on this thread going to extraordinary lengths to defy reason and science and claim that it is literally true. What do you make of that?

That is a centuries old cultural attitude bred from further centuries of a religion that has been corrupted with political power and internal conflict. Since literal truth is "stronger" than literary-mythic-metaphorical truth, everyone has become used to the position that the Bible is literally true even if that flies in the face of what scientists are discovering about the world that God created. Changing one's mind in those medieval attitudes was tantamount to admitting defeat.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Annihilate? The language is too strong. Christianity is being redefined by revolutions in science, theology, and modernity. It is a process thats been happening for well over two hundred years.

The old narrative that has worked so well for so many centuries, no longer works. It no longer works because it is no longer plausible. The old must die eventually, as the young grows and flourishes.

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 7:24-27

Thank you for encouraging me to explore genesis. It is the low hanging fruit and almost too easy. Atheists are my friends. They are better Christians than the Christians.

I do like Clint Eastwood movies. Enjoy the music.
No they won't be annihilated. They'll just keep on believing. Very similar to what Judaism did. The Christians came up with symbolic passages in the Jewish Scriptures to prove Jesus is the Messiah and, with an added bonus, he's God also. They use verses to show how Satan fell. They go back to Genesis and make the poor talking serpent Satan, or at least used by Satan.

Now the Baha'i Faith says there is no Satan and Jesus is not God. But you have your own symbolic interpretations. However, there is one that I need some more clarification... the explanation about the supposed longevity of the people in Genesis. It was something about the "reign" of Noah's dispensation that was 950 years and not his actual lifespan? Sorry, that still sounds like a weird explanation to me. Is that an "official" Baha'i teaching from one of your infallible sources?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
That is a centuries old cultural attitude bred from further centuries of a religion that has been corrupted with political power and internal conflict. Since literal truth is "stronger" than literary-mythic-metaphorical truth, everyone has become used to the position that the Bible is literally true even if that flies in the face of what scientists are discovering about the world that God created. Changing one's mind in those medieval attitudes was tantamount to admitting defeat.

Have you always been blessed with freedom of thought unfettered by tradition and culture, or did you need to free yourself?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
No they won't be annihilated. They'll just keep on believing. Very similar to what Judaism did. The Christians came up with symbolic passages in the Jewish Scriptures to prove Jesus is the Messiah and, with an added bonus, he's God also. They use verses to show how Satan fell. They go back to Genesis and make the poor talking serpent Satan, or at least used by Satan.

Now the Baha'i Faith says there is no Satan and Jesus is not God. But you have your own symbolic interpretations. However, there is one that I need some more clarification... the explanation about the supposed longevity of the people in Genesis. It was something about the "reign" of Noah's dispensation that was 950 years and not his actual lifespan? Sorry, that still sounds like a weird explanation to me. Is that an "official" Baha'i teaching from one of your infallible sources?

There is no evidence to support the belief that 950 years was Noah's dispensation. It certainly wasn't His age:

"The years of Noah are not years as we count them, and as our teachings do not state that this reference to years means His dispensation, we cannot interpret it this way."
(From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, November 25, 1950; quoted in Lights of Guidance, no. 1659)

"Then the Master asked Esmael: "How old was Moses?"
"One hundred and twenty years," he replied. "But the patriarchs, such as Noah and others lived many hundreds of years."
"The Master said: "The age of those ancient prophets as recorded in the Old Testament is symbolic. It has a spiritual interpretation. Wert thou informed of the science of anatomy thou wouldst realize that this human mechanism and these material organs cannot last more than one hundred and twenty years.""

(Attributed to 'Abdu'l-Baha, Star of the West, volume 13, issue 6, p. 152)

This tablet might be of interest:

Tablet of Wisdom Questions and Answers

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
First of all, allegories have the roots in actual literal events. That is the definition of allegory. Second, how do you explain the universe?

I see no reason why a myth or story needs to be literally true to be used as an allegory.

Here's a definition of an allegory:
a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.
There is nothing about the story needing to be literally true.

God's motive for bringing the creation into being is essentially twofold. The first is love: "I loved thy creation, hence I created thee" (Bahá'u'lláh, Hidden Words, p. 6). This love is a bountiful outpouring that has always existed and will never cease. ‘Abdu'l-Bahá affirms: "Love is the cause of God's revelation unto man, the vital bond inherent, in accordance with divine creation, in the realities of all things" (Selections, p. 27). The second motive, which has already been mentioned, is God's desire to reveal Himself and to be known.

Creation

Of course God being able does no mean he did, but hen how did the universe, and all it contains. come into being, especially life

It is a Divine mystery that science is entitled to probe.

IMO, it is foolish to reject the supernatural using secular theology. Besides nothing in any of your science degrees can prove anything in the TOE, and they can't falsify "after their kind," which rejects evolution. The laws of genetics will not allow a leg to become a fin nor a nose to become a blowhole. A land animal surviving very will on land and then entering an environment hostile to its survival, refutes the standard, unscientific doctrine of "natural selection" and there is no possible way you can explain why that happened, let alone how it did.

I do not reject the supernatural. However I use science ot better understand God's purpose and design.

You probably didn't notice but in my arguments I simply examined the logistics of the story of Noah's Ark from a perspective of reason and science. I didn't go near evolution. Had our discussions continued I would have next considered geology, fossils and the science behind determining the how old they are.

What people believe doesn't make it true. The believe like you do that evolution has been proven b y science. The believe it because they have been indoctrinated early in school that it is science and they are afraid to look at the real evidence.

As a Baha'i using an argument based on Darwinian evolution to disprove God is of no interest.

What qualifies you to determine something what is an outdated tradition? Besides a literal view of Genesis is not a tradition. It is an interpretation of what the text clearly and simply says., and ther is no reason to say it is allegory, when we have an omnipotent God doing the work.

The criteria is when science has irrefutably determined that tradition to be untrue.

The Scriptures say in several places He did. Why is it impossible for an omnipotent God?

We are agreed about the existence of an Omnipotent God. How that Omnipotent God has gone about creating the universe is another story.

For some it will be to late. That is the tragedy of all false religions.
Jesus said by their fruits ye shall know them. Best not to judge a Faith by our own human standards.

omega2xx

I see no reason why a myth or story needs to be literally true to be used as an allegory.

Then you donm't udnerstand allegory/

Here's a definition of an allegory:
a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.
There is nothing about the story needing to be literally true.

Here's a more accurate definition written by Milton Terry on all of the in his book "Biblical Hermen-eutics", explaining all of the different types of figurative language found in the Bible:

Allegory contains its explanation within itself and the thing signified is identified with the image. The allegory is the figurative use and application of some supposed fact or history. Allegory is continually using word in a metaphorical sense.
For example in a parable "seed" wold be taken literally, In an allegory, it would represent something other than a seed.

Here is a definition from "The American College Encyclopedia Dictionary": Figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another' a presentation of an abstract or spiritual meaning under concrete or material forms.

Only one thing in the Bible is called an allegory. The story of Sarah and Hagar and we know they were literal, historical characters. .

God's motive for bringing the creation into being is essentially twofold. The first is love: "I loved thy creation, hence I created thee" (Bahá'u'lláh, Hidden Words, p. 6). This love is a bountiful outpouring that has always existed and will never cease. ‘Abdu'l-Bahá affirms: "Love is the cause of God's revelation unto man, the vital bond inherent, in accordance with divine creation, in the realities of all things" (Selections, p. 27). The second motive, which has already been mentioned, is God's desire to reveal Himself and to be known.

I might tweek that a little bit, but I certainly think that is very close to Christians theology/

Creation

It is a Divine mystery that science is entitled to probe.

Since we have an omnipotent Creator, I see no mystery---God did it. Science do not have the ap;ility to prove spiritual truths.

I do not reject the supernatural. However I use science ot better understand God's purpose and design.[/QUOTE]

Science will not explain God's purpose, and evolution is not based on science.

You probably didn't notice but in my arguments I simply examined the logistics of the story of Noah's Ark from a perspective of reason and science.

Science can't refute the flood, and Maybe you don't have enough informationto declare it is not possible.

I didn't go near evolution. Had our discussions continued I would have next considered geology, fossils and the science behind determining the how old they are.[/QUOTE]

The author of "the Genesis Flood." has a PhD in hydraulics. math and Geology. IMO, he is better qualified than you are in the matter of the flood being possible. You can't explain it from the fossil record because you have no intermediate fossils. You can't say it did not happen from the age,k because you have nothing to date that came from the flood. Beside, all dating methods except C14 hare based on some assumption that make them unreliable.

As a Baha'i using an argument based on Darwinian evolution to disprove God is of no interest.

An explanation that can't be proven outside of the Bible is no interest.

The criteria is when science has irrefutably determined that tradition to be untrue.

Real science has never done that and they can't.

We are agreed about the existence of an Omnipotent God. How that Omnipotent God has gone about creating the universe is another story.

The story of how God did it is in the Bible and I can prove more in the first chapter of Genesis,k than you can in the100+ years of evolution.

Jesus said by their fruits ye shall know them. Best not to judge a Faith by our own human standards.

I never do that. The only standard I use is the ones in the Bible.