• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Stairway to Heaven?

athanasius

I have myself have had an experience of the Stairway to heaven. I loved it. That Led Zepplin kept me rockin for days!!!! lol. Seroiusly I have never had one, but IO believe they are real.

I also heard about people who have had negative hellish experiences when they have died. these people see no light only darkness and they say that they felt like demons were ripping them apart.

Of coarse from a mystical and paranormal phenomina there are those who have witnessed the Purgatorial state after death too. As 20th century Mystic Padre Pio expalined he saw apparitions of these people. Its interesting. Guess we will know when it happoens to us.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
athanasius said:
I also heard about people who have had negative hellish experiences when they have died. these people see no light only darkness and they say that they felt like demons were ripping them apart.

Of coarse from a mystical and paranormal phenomina there are those who have witnessed the Purgatorial state after death too. As 20th century Mystic Padre Pio expalined he saw apparitions of these people. Its interesting. Guess we will know when it happoens to us.
Have you noticed that only Catholics experience stigmata? I've never heard of a Protestant having the affliction. Don't you think it's possible that people "see" what they've been influenced to see through their particular religion?

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I've heard of these hellish experiances as well, some described as a cold lightless void where they experienced demons riping off there skin. But if there is hell would it really be for eternity? Or would there be probation?

I find the stigmata thing perplexing as well, I don't see how going through it brings you closer to Jesus. Some of it could well be a hoax.

d.

_______
athanasius said:

and i've heard about people that have astrally traveled to the "digital world" where digimon live. i've yet to see any credible reports of any of these 'phenomena' though.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Well it's not like I could say "Hey hop in my car and I'll take you there, in fact lets make a holiday of it, there's a Ramada Inn next door". But I can understand your skepticsm, because it isn't something that can be shown so how is anyone supposed to establish what could be a real experiance from some made up delusion to reinforce there religious agenda. But I have no religious agenda just a hunch so thats why I'm Agnostic Theist.

d.

_______
lamplighter said:
how is anyone supposed to establish what could be a real experiance from some made up delusion to reinforce there religious agenda.

there's not even a need for an 'agenda'. i think hallucination or just a vivid imagination is sufficient explanations in most, if not all, cases of any kind of 'supernatural phenomena'.

i'm not questioning your experience, really. perhaps you would care to describe your 'tunnel of light' experience in more detail?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Buttercup said:
Have you noticed that only Catholics experience stigmata? I've never heard of a Protestant having the affliction. Don't you think it's possible that people "see" what they've been influenced to see through their particular religion?

I am sure that some feel what they would desperately like to feel; the mind can have an incredible effect on the physical. I wouldn't reject near death experiences though (not that I have ever had any). There are times when I feel that if I did experience something of the sort, it would at leat be a small sign...........then I remember it's all about Faith.:)

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Well expanding on my other posts, when reality faded away I took a look around, it really did feel like a tunnel because it seemed to go on forever. I can't say it felt comfronting, because unlike other people the person there to meet me was stranger to me, despite turning out to be my grandfather. It'ld make it easier to understand if it was someone I knew who had died, that it was all a result of my brain turning off. Though I wouldn't be agnostic if I didn't retain some doubt but it's given me

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
a terrible thirst for knoweldge about whats after death. Though I'm comfrontable with there being no afterlife because its not like I'm going to be around to be ****** about there not being one when I die.

groovyable

Ive had a near death experiance, i was in a major car accident, we hit black ice and as the car span, my head went through the side window and we all went off a cliff, my friend went through the back window and my other two friends were ok.. thank God. I broke my cheeck bone, eye was out the socket, and i had to have 20 stitches to my face and plastic surgry.

How did it affect my faith ? it gave me more trust in God and his word the Bible.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
groovyable said:
Ive had a near death experiance, i was in a major car accident, we hit black ice and as the car span, my head went through the side window and we all went off a cliff, my friend went through the back window and my other two friends were ok.. thank God. I broke my cheeck bone, eye was out the socket, and i had to have 20 stitches to my face and plastic surgry.

How did it affect my faith ? it gave me more trust in God and his word the Bible.

Sorry about the accident, but I am glad to hear that it has enabled you to feel better about your faith. I have never experienced anything of the kind, but am prepared to believe those who say that they have.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
groovyable said:
So did you have an out of body experience? Or did you get knocked unconcious? And if neither how did it reinforce your faith?