• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Spirit

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Neither. Spirit is vitality of a person that keeps all living alive. Maybe it can reflect the feminine or masculine nature of a person. But not all people fit that black or white description.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
is the Spirit feminine or masculine?

Is the electricity that powers your house masculine or feminine?

Spirit has no gender. Angels have no gender. God has no gender.
Spirit is the lifeforce sustained by breathing. When breathing stops, the spirit ceases to animate the life it sustains.

Gender is only for reproduction. God portrays himself as male only to facilitate understanding of his role as a Father.

Spirit does not reproduce but is passed on in the birthing process, when air fills the lungs of the new life for the first time.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Neither - the spirit is beyond gender. From Ladinsky's "rendering" of Hafiz:

Once a young woman asked me,

"How does it feel to be a man?"
And I replied,

"My dear,
I am not so sure."

Then she said,
"Well, aren't you a man?"

And this time I replied,

"I view gender
As a beautiful animal
That people often take for a walk on a leash
And might enter in some odd contest
To try to win strange prizes.

My dear,
A better question for Hafiz
Would have been,

'How does it feel to be a heart?'

For all I know is Love,
And I find my heart Infinite
And Everywhere!"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is the electricity that powers your house masculine or feminine?

Spirit has no gender. Angels have no gender. God has no gender.
Spirit is the lifeforce sustained by breathing. When breathing stops, the spirit ceases to animate the life it sustains.

Gender is only for reproduction. God portrays himself as male only to facilitate understanding of his role as a Father.

Spirit does not reproduce but is passed on in the birthing process, when air fills the lungs of the new life for the first time.

I would agree with this (minus the angels but same context), but for me without biblical reference or interest.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know about any "The Spirit" but I view all things as spirits (aspects/entities that have a characteristic nature or identity), including human social constructs like those named. But not all spirits are those social constructs - only two of them are.