• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The spirit problem

Surya Deva

I do not think Astral travel is important myself, I've only tried it a few times. But what AP can do for you prove to you that this gross world is not the only reality, and your consciousness is beyond it.

You are right about it being a hindrance. In Yoga, a similar view is stated, that all astral activity and psychic activity are obstacles on the way to true enlightenment. Those that succumb to them only create more egos.

This is why I came out of the New-age spiritual scene. It was full of egotistical people.

flupke said:
Many religions (all of them ?) believe in spirits or souls.

Some questions:

Does a fertilized egg cell have a soul ?
Do sperms and egg cells already have pre-souls that merge upon conception ?
Does the soul only 'hop in' at birth ? If yes, that means we can kill fetuses without scrutiny.

If I take a fertilized egg cell out of a womb and let it divide a couple of times, mix up the blastula (lump of cells capable of forming a human being) and re-implant the 64 cells in different wombs, did I just create 63 extra souls ? Am I God ?

Needless to say I don't accept souls or spirits; but I'm curious to see how believers deal with this issue (other than "god will figure it out").

Its hard to answer this since the fetus can not talk, but I know that there are spirits that are willing to take over your body if you ever allow it and if they thing you are worthy (bad or good). It seems to me that if you have life and conciousness then the spirit exists in you and others will try to possess you. Since I can not recollect my mothers womb unless somebody else can remember themselves being in their mothers womb. This is becasue people are different with different experiences. I trully believe that the spirit comes later when we have conciousness.