• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Speed of Light

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Err. . . that news is a bit old. Ten years old.

About a decade ago, [Harvard Physicist Lene Vestergaard Hau] started playing with BECs — for a physicist, that means shooting lasers at them. She blew up a few. Eventually, she found that lasers of the right wavelengths could tune the optical properties of a BEC, giving Hau an almost supernatural command over any other light shined into it. Her first trick was slowing a pulse of light to a crawl — 15 mph as it traveled through the BEC. Since then, Hau has completely frozen a pulse and then released it.
source
Note that she was able to "freeze" light and release it.

This is AMAZING! I wonder what kind of application one can use this ability with.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This is AMAZING! I wonder what kind of application one can use this ability with.

First thing that comes to mind is that now it may be possible to turn out the light and be in bed before the room gets dark.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if I could move at the speed of light.....
I could earn a billion paychecks and not reach retirement

and spend it all just as fast