• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The South's Loyal Slave Monuments Have To Go

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Dang...if it's what you say it is, that could've been part of a
powerful display. Don't tell me that you too are a talibanizer?

I just have this totally wacky idea that perhaps we can remember the sordid, shameful parts of history without celebrating them. We've managed to remember the details of WW2 well, thoroughly studied and documented, all without requiring gestures of respect and reverence for the likes of Hitler and Stalin.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just have this totally wacky idea that perhaps we can remember the sordid, shameful parts of history without celebrating them.
And the straw man arrives.
No, not celebration of wrongs.
We've managed to remember the details of WW2 well, thoroughly studied and documented, all without requiring gestures of respect and reverence for the likes of Hitler and Stalin.
"Respect & reverence"...again with the straw?
If people were more familiar with the horrors of war,
then voters & leaders might not lust for it so.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
So people would not venerate the past regime is one reason. I can't be succinct enough to explain it, so I leave you with this educational article:

Why There Are No Nazi Statues in Germany
And yet the are War memorials to German soldiers from the second world war in Germany

Möltenort U-Boat Memorial - Wikipedia

La Cambe German war cemetery - Wikipedia

Inspekteur - Ehrenmal des Deutschen Heeres

German War Memorials

rieneck2.jpg
speinshartdenkmal2.jpg
eschenbachn2.jpg
grettstadt5.jpg

main-qimg-23bd5469cab908adf300d4f2bce4951a

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And the straw man arrives.
No, not celebration of wrongs.

"Respect & reverence"...again with the straw?
If people were more familiar with the horrors of war,
then voters & leaders might not lust for it so.

How exactly is it a straw man? Did you not suggest that ceasing to commemorate that which is unworthy of commemoration is "sanitizing history"?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How exactly is it a straw man? Did you not suggest that ceasing to commemorate that which is unworthy of commemoration is "sanitizing history"?
You criticized "respect, reverence, & celebration" for/of "the likes of Hitler
& Stalin" in responding to my post. But I never advocated any such thing.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I'd say move the statues to Confederate history museums so people can go and learn about them. It's important to remember our past and preserve it, but also to put things in a proper context so we don't repeat the mistakes of the past.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I'd say move the statues to Confederate history museums so people can go and learn about them. It's important to remember our past and preserve it, but also to put things in a proper context so we don't repeat the mistakes of the past.
And the Loyal Slaves monuments?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
We should actually add some new memorials and kick start a new yearly festival. Once a year in the US we should have a government sponsored media blitz of awareness where articles are bought in newspapers, magazines, internet and TV spots which talk about what happened before and after Jim Crow as well as hosted yearly discussions about how slavery became implemented, what people thought and said and how it relates to us in modern times. I suggest this as large yearly media blitz to get people discussing our past -- like a day where you see this everywhere on buses and signs and TV and hear about it on the radio. We could make it a tax deductible event for media that do presentations on that day. Ideally we turn it into a yearly festival where everyone gets together.

American Style we commercialize it, too. We have store sales and movies about it and get the restaurants involved. Sell special candy and the whole bit.

Call it 'Freedom Day'.

Duke_Leto

Because people won't see the offensive structures & their messages.
If they remain, it would keep the history alive in people's minds.
Demolishing them smacks too much of the Taliban's motives, ie, to
remove or destroy that which offends.
Better it would be to erect explanatory exhibits at the same site.

Revoltingest, I suppose since you’re Canadian you aren’t very familiar with monuments like these or their history. They were put up with the purpose of lionizing the Confederate cause some time after the Civil War, by people motivated by race-hatred and resentment for the abolishment of slavery. They aren’t neutral expressions of objective history; they’ve always been entirely political.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
That's interesting. I'll have to look into it. But so far I see no Nazi insignia on these memorials
I don't believe you'll find any specific NAZI iconography. The fact remains they are memorials to German soldiers who fought for the NAZI regime, although I agree that doesn't make them NAZI monuments, per se (the interchangeable use of NAZI and German when discussing the second World War is one of my pet hates)

Nevertheless, I think there are strong parallels between them and at least SOME Confederate monuments. I don't believe being on tbe losing side renders a soldier's sacrifice somethi g to forget. Consider, for example, memorials to Western soldiers who fought and died in Vietnam. We unambiguously lost that war, howevef we still memorialise our soldiers. I think at least some Confederate monuments occupy similar position.