• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Souls of God

Maximus

the Confessor
I don't know about the site you got it from, but 'Orthodox Christianity' holds to eternal punishment in the lake of fire. If they present themselves as 'orthodox' and hold the view you describe, then they are mistaken.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I would disagree. Several of the early church fathers were "universalists" (all get saved, eventually). Personally, the notion of a loving God Eternally tormenting finite beings for their transgressions makes no sense and is abhorrent. God is not a monster.

A short one:

syo

There is no 'code' to the book of (Revelation). It is given to be understood. People acts like they can't understand it because they don't want to understand it.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Well, I read it and understood nothing. What is the beast???

Good-Ole-Rebel

I would disagree. Several of the early church fathers were "universalists" (all get saved, eventually). Personally, the notion of a loving God Eternally tormenting finite beings for their transgressions makes no sense and is abhorrent. God is not a monster.

Universalism is not Orthodox Christianity.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That’s a uniquely Christian perspective. You won’t find anything remotely resembling that in Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism and other indigenous religious traditions.

It’s my observation that Christianity has an unhealthy obsession and association with sin, judgement, punishment, fire, devils and demons. It’s a shame because Jesus never spent so much time on the subject.

Do you read these things with your mouth open as in "who could believe this in real life?" type of thing? If you do, you're in good company.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There is no 'code' to the book of (Revelation). It is given to be understood. People acts like they can't understand it because they don't want to understand it.

Good-Ole-Rebel
so it's internally understood about self? Or is it externally understood about others as self?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you read these things with your mouth open as in "who could believe this in real life?" type of thing? If you do, you're in good company.

I just shake my head and roll my eyes. Sort of like

upload_2020-2-16_19-24-57.gif

Maximus

the Confessor
so it's internally understood about self? Or is it externally understood about others as self?

No one really understands Revelation. Anyone who tries to make any predictions or inferences from it is on a fool's errand (no pun intended lol). In my opinion.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually Jesus spent a great deal of time talking about hell and eternal punishment as well as encountering the devil and demons in many places.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You do realize he spoke in metaphors and hyperbole to make his points, right?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The Pharisees were at odds with the Old Testament. That doesn't make them 'orthodox'.

No, Sodom was destroyed because of it's pride and idleness and greediness. And it was homosexuality that characterized these people. (Eze. 16:49) (Gen. 19)

Good-Ole-Rebel
Ezekiel 16:49 says nothing about homosexuality. If you read the Jewish article, it says nothing. There were men, women, and children living in those towns. It had nothing to do with homosexual males.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Ezekiel 16:49 says nothing about homosexuality. If you read the Jewish article, it says nothing. There were men, women, and children living in those towns. It had nothing to do with homosexual males.

You need to pay attention to what was said. Go back and reread it. Or, just read it. You saw the word homosexuality and jumped like a frog on hot rock.

Good-Ole-Rebel