• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The soul

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am curious what Muslims believe in regards to the concept of "soul" or "the soul".
For clarity, I am not referring to a form of American music.

Is the soul in Islamic thought something that needs working on?
Is the soul an attribute OF personality or is it the root of personality?
Is there a difference between the soul and the ordinary ego-based personality prevalent in the 21st century?
Do the two function separately or as one?
Is the soul at the command of the person?
Are there differences in the position of the soul in Shia, Sunni and Sufi thought?

That's enough to get things started. Once again, this is the ISLAM DIR so no critical comments are tolerated.

Muslims what say you?

Last edited:

Cordoba

Hello Ymir

There are two words for soul in Islam: "nafs" and "rooh"

The "rooh" is what comes from God and when it enters the fetus it become living human being, and when later on in life it leaves the body, a person dies. The rooh is a secret from God, and we know very little about it

As for the "nafs", i.e. the human soul, yes a person can purify it from negative attributes like greed, impatience, stinginess, and other diseases by following God's Path

A believer who has some basic knowledge can gradually cure these diseases, like for example through fasting a Muslim learns patience and perseverance, in addition to gaining Taqwa (God-Consciousness) ....

What is the reason for your question?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hello Ymir

There are two words for soul in Islam: "nafs" and "rooh"

The "rooh" is what comes from God and when it enters the fetus it become living human being, and when later on in life it leaves the body, a person dies. The rooh is a secret from God, and we know very little about it

As for the "nafs", i.e. the human soul, yes a person can purify it from negative attributes like greed, impatience, stinginess, and other diseases by following God's Path

A believer who has some basic knowledge can gradually cure these diseases, like for example through fasting a Muslim learns patience and perseverance, in addition to gaining Taqwa (God-Consciousness) ....

What is the reason for your question?
Thank you, Cordoba. My interest is purely personal. It struck me today that in all my reading of Islamic literature that I had only sketchy glimpses of how Muslims view the soul.

Aside from working like a battery of life energy is the rooh seen as having any greater significance or is that part of the secret of Allah? Is a greater understanding of that secret ever revealed to humans?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I don't have time to write what I would like to, but I did want to acknowledge the thread. It's a very good question and Cordoba's answer a good start. When I have more time I will come back to this insha Allah

A-ManESL

The soul is that intangible part of the existence of a human being which is pure at birth. It enables man's link to the divine element. The soul has the potential to nourish and strengthen this link as man achieves nearness to God.

That God put an idea of the divine within man is sometimes derived from the following verse:

Once I perfect him, and blow into him from My spirit, you shall fall prostrate before him.-Quran 15:29

After death, the soul does not perish rather it retires to an intermediate state of which there is no clear conceptualization. It remains in that state till Judgment Day.