• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The soul and pregnancy

tiano

I've not read the bible so please excuse me if in any of my comments or questions I am mistaken along the line...

I was wondering if the bible states when the soul comes into being, is it in the start of the pregnancy or later on as the weeks or months pass?

Does the bible also state where the soul is from or were the souls journey begins before life on earth?

I'm always told where I'll be going after death by christians and yet no christian ever talks to me about where we came from and what happens before we are born here on earth. It would be great to hear some theories by any person and not necessarily anyone of just christian belief.

Thanks all

Many have the view that the soul is immortal and separate from the body. However, the Bible provides a different understanding. Here are some Scriptures to help one to see what really the soul is. Of the soul, the Bible says that it can be "cut off" or put to death, at Leviticus 7:20, saying: "But the soul that eateth of the flesh of the sacrifice of peace offerings, that pertain unto the Lord, having his uncleanness upon him, even that soul shall be cut off from his people."(King James Bible) That it can eat, for verse 25 says that "For whosoever eateth the fat of the beast, of which men offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord, even the soul that eateth it shall be cut off from his people", that the soul can "be afflicted" at Leviticus 16:29, that God condemns it for "eating blood" at Leviticus 17:10 and 12, that the soul can touch something "unclean" and be "unclean" itself, at Leviticus 22:6, that it can be purchased, at Leviticus 22:11, that it works and can be destroyed (not immortal), at Leviticus 23:30, that it can " pine away" at Leviticus 26:16, that animals are souls at Numbers 31:28, that it has a desire to eat at Deuteronomy 12:15 and 20, that the soul can crave for "oxen...sheep...wine" at Deuteronomy 14:26, that Joshua destroyed all the souls of Makkedah at Joshua 10:28, that it has blood at Jeremiah 2:34 and that it is not immortal, for Peter said: "And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people."(Acts 3:23 King James Bible)
Hence, just what is the soul ? What is it that eats, that can touch something, that can be "afflicted", that can be "destroyed" ? The soul is us as a person, with all our feelings and desires, with blood flowing through our veins. Hence, at Genesis 2:7, of Adam the Scripture says that "the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (King James Bible) The apostle Paul reiterated this at 1 Corinthians 15:45, saying that "And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit."(King James Bible) Therefore, God did not place a soul in Adam, but rather, he "became a living soul". Before God "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life", Adam was a dead soul.
At Ezekiel 18:4, it says that the "Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die."(King James Bible) Thus, we as souls, sin, and eventually die.
The Hebrew word for soul is ne´phesh and evidently comes from a root meaning "breathe" and in a literal sense ne´phesh could be rendered as "a breather."
The word soul can also be rendered as a person's life, for Jesus said that " And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."(Matt 10:28 King James Bible) Thus, one's future life or "soul" is dependent upon not fearing those who can "kill the body".

tiano

I've had an out of body experience as many others have and during that period of time I was conscious of everything and saw my body laying there asleep, which to me indicated that the soul was in the body and yet independent of the body and conscious and able to think independently.
That led me to believe that when the body dies the soul will indeed survive.
To be consciously aware and able to think when having an OBE makes me think the body is just matter for our time here .
It also makes me think that at some point in the pregnancy that the baby becomes a consciuosly aware living being which has a soul.
I wouldn't think that something that wasn't consciously aware, had a soul.
I placed my hand directly through a wall ( much to my shock at the time) which also leads me to believe that a soul isnt something that can touch ( in a material sense ).
I remember floating down stairs and also the struggle I felt re-entering my body and the forcefullness of the event which had me making a kind of forcefull pushing grunt/scream as I at the time thought some spirit was trying to enter my body ( I've had quite a few experiences with bad/evil spirits in the past at two different houses and during the OBE I was trying my best to rationalise the situation).

This was all heard by my neighbour who brought it up the day after thinking I'd had some nightmare but I was fully aware of everything and not just having a bit of a bad or funny dream.
I also awoke with very bad pins and needles and pain throughout most of my body and when I got out of bed, I collapsed in the process as my legs were just jelly and my body hadn't seemed to have time to re-adjust.

I'd like to hear the views of the soul from other people too especially anyone else who has had OBEs.
Thanks all

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You don't really hear people talk about the disposition of the soul before birth, in Christian circles. Personally, I believe that the soul, being immortal, comes from God and returns to God.
Biblically, I know of one of the Psalms (can't remember which one right now) that talks about God searching us out and knowing us, and that God knit us together in our mother's womb, and knew us before we were born.
It's an interesting question, but I'm not sure the Bible can provide a definitive answer.