1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soul and its Parts

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Rival, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Rival

Rival Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,489
    Religion:
    Noachide
    If you believe in a soul, does that soul have parts or is it just one whole? Kemetic belief has several parts to one's, for lack of a better word, metaphysical being. It's described well here The Ancient Egyptian Soul | Ancient Egypt Online

The main parts are the Ba and the Ka, and in death these ideally unite to become a 'completed soul' known as an Akh. The Akh can travel to and fro as it wishes and can be given offerings by the living. The Ba is the effective personality, reputation etc. and the Ka is the vital life-force, or spirit, generally.

Other parts are the Ib (heart), Ren (name) and Shuyet (shadow).

#1 Rival, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RayofLight

RayofLight My pronouns: they/them

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Religion:
    Pagan luciferian Witch
    Ancient norse pagans believe in multiple parts to the soul. But I havent studied it yet. So I can't explain it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RayofLight

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Religion:
    Pagan luciferian Witch
    I'm still learning on it basically. It's complex

• Like Like x 1
  4. RayofLight

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Religion:
    Pagan luciferian Witch
    @The Hammer has studied norse paganism longer then me. He might know more. I know some parts are the fylgja, the hugr, and the hamr. But I can't go into more detail then that. There are 7 parts

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,953
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    I think the soul/spirit consists of between a few and a few hundred million parts. We are a colony being. I have no idea how you could test that in any detail; not sure if it's important to do so.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,604
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    A a Baha'i I do not believe that the soul has parts. As I said on your other thread I believe that the soul is the personality, so if the soul had parts it would be kind of like a person with a multiple personality disorder. :D

Interesting you mention the vital force, I have not heard that term since I was in homeopathy school. I believe that the vital force is associated with the soul which means the same thing as the human spirit according to my beliefs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nakosis

Nakosis Time Efficient Lollygagger
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,156
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    The Egyptian soul, Ba, seem to be like the effect we have on the world having existed in it. IOW, where our presence could be felt even though physically not around.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rival

Rival Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,489
    Religion:
    Noachide
    Yup. Pretty much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +30,763
    Religion:
    Love
    The soul, atma, is part of paramatma, but does not know it. The spiritual path consists of removing the "veils" surrounding the soul that keep it from knowing it's union with paramatma.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer Frog Lord
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,456
    Religion:
    Pagan/Druid
    The Norse/Germanic Soul had 4 separate parts. The Hamr, or Outer Appearance; the Hugr, which was the Soul/Mind, emotions and will; the Fylgja, a spiritual fetch/follower (basically an Astral double), and the Hamingja which encompasses ones potentiality and Fate.

Death in Norse paganism - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 2
  11. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,795
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    In my Hindu teachings what is closest to the western concept of the soul is called the (link) Karana-Sarira.

This is the vehicle that stores the karmas and lessons of past experiences and initiates new incarnations on the lower planes for necessary growth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ideogenous_mover

ideogenous_mover Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +954
    Religion:
    Agnostic with a Theistic bent, toward some form of Dualism
    Hm, that's interesting. At a first pass, it seems like Akh is more vehicle-like, and closer to being flesh-like (I could be entirely incorrect). A sort of vehicle beyond the flesh vehicle, and then as for the Ba, that seems like it's more of a pure spirit force. But I don't know, I really have no idea. But I think maybe with the Ba, that seems somewhat closer to the contemporary western conception of the soul. The idea of the personality seems emphasized, and ability of movement seems secondary to us.

Or perhaps it is combined, in modern conceptions, and this may go all though back to even the pre-christian and western conceptions of the soul, like in seneca's description of the soul. Here we see that the soul is already seeming to be considered a unitary form, uniting the traveling and personality aspect. Though in looking at the passage again, Seneca seems to notably ascribe multiple parts or qualities to a soul, even though they are similar

Lately as I've been looking at the tarot, an apparently western spiritual construction, the World card apparently has a traditional way to point out soul division, but I'm too much of a beginner to know anything about that either.

I think I've had a very amateur view on the soul, overall. I have always tended to view things with a generic dualism, but I'm starting to see that further division might be just as salient or important, that things are made up of parts, when I emphasize the wholes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ideogenous_mover

ideogenous_mover Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +954
    Religion:
    Agnostic with a Theistic bent, toward some form of Dualism
    Now I've read the myths, but that's definitely something I apparently know nothing about. I'm curious at what point in the stories that is comes into the picture, that's interesting

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spiderman

Spiderman Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,783
    Religion:
    Shintopathic
    In the New Testament, the poor man Lazarus is taken to Abraham's bosom.

The rich man is tormented by flames. He asks Abraham for Lazarus to put water on his tongue to cool it down.

It implies that he is experiencing physical pain and has a body. If he has a tongue, it is likely he has other body parts as well, even though his other body is dead and left behind.

I'm not saying I believe the Christian Scriptures, but it would imply dead people still have bodies in the next life.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Hawkins

Hawkins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +160
    The relationship between the brain and soul is more or less like a clustered failover computer pair located in the different locations. The brain resides in our physical realm while the soul residing in an "adjacent" space. When they depart, the soul naturally will descend to Hades. Some of them are unnaturally brought to another location called the third heaven or "Abraham's Bosom". Thus Lazarus in parable did not naturally descend but was carried by angels to Abraham's Bosom.

#15 Hawkins, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  16. 'mud

'mud ~~ Life is Stuff ~~
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,400
    Religion:
    ~~ LIFE ~~
    The `soul` hasn't any `parts`, it is the worth of any person,

it is the spirit within that expresses one's outdoing,

`good` I would wish.

We all will miss cognizance, when the whole `soul` is gone.