• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Son of Man

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Why does Jesus refer to himself as the Son of Man?

This question has puzzled Christians since the dawn of the faith, and its true meaning is still debated to this day.
It is interesting to note that Jesus is the only person in the gospels to refer to himself as the Son of Man, the disciples never use the title.
They sometimes refer to Jesus as God or Son of God, titles which Jesus never uses himself, but does allow.

In this article I will attempt to explain my own Gnostic understanding of the title. It is my belief that the phrase only really makes sense when understood from the Gnostic perspective.

To understand the title we need to start at the beginning, with Adam.
In the Torah book of Genesis Adam is the name of the first man. Most people also realise that Adam also translates as “man” or “humanity”, thus as well as an individual character Adam is also representative of the entire human race.

Genesis goes onto describe the first offspring of Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel. Abel was killed and Eve gave birth to a replacement – Seth. It is easy to understand that all three men are the sons of Adam and thus each is literally a Son of Man.

Through the line of Seth we have Noah, and since all of mankind is descended from Noah each of us can trace our family history back to Seth and to Adam (in a mythological sense of course).
In this case all of us are the Sons and Daughters of Man, we are all human after all.

It is at this point that we discover the literal meaning of the title. Son of Man could easily be rephrased as Son of Adam, and as such is synonymous with “man” or even “I”.
We see the truth in this in the Gospel According to Matthew, chapter 16;
When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

Jesus then rephrases the same question and directs it to Simon Peter;
But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

So, the simplest understanding of the title is merely a roundabout why of referring to the self, a longwinded way of saying “I”.
The question now is, why does Jesus use the title Son of Man to refer to himself, and not simply “I”?

I believe the answer lies in Gnostic scripture, pre-Christian Gnostic scripture to be precise, in the texts of the Sethian Gnostics.

The Sethian Gnostics, as the name implies, followed Seth the third son of Adam – an original Son of Man.
But there is a great deal more to Seth than that in Gnostic literature, and to understand Seth we must go back to the very beginning, before Adam and Eve, before Genesis and before the God of Genesis came into existence.

In Gnostic cosmology the true God, which is alien to this world of matter, is said to have emanated various aspects of Itself, thus we have Wisdom, Will, Forethought and many other aspects personified into heavenly beings known as Aeons.

The Forethought of God, the Aeon Barbelo, is commonly thought of as female and takes the role of Mother to God’s Father figure. However, it is clear from the text that Barbelo is androgynous. She is given the titles of amongst others, thrice-male and first human.
She is the creative force of God, a pure but lesser reflection of God. Where God is the Source of all things, She is the Mother of all things – the creator, the literal Hand of God. Through union of Barbelo with God, all things came forth. One of the first of all things was Geradamas.

Geradamas is the archetypal human, the perfect human. Again He is androgynous, but thought of as male. Geradamas means “Adam the Stranger” of “Heavenly Adam”.
It is because of a glimpse of Geradamas, that the Demiurge was inspired to make physical man, Adam.

The son of Geradamas was Seth, the same Seth that was later born to Adam and Eve on Earth. Seth is the original saviour figure, sent to save humanity from ignorance. Hence why the sect referred to themselves as the Sethians, or the Children of Seth – God’s chosen people. The Children of Seth are synonymous with the pneumatic humans – the Gnostics.

What has this to do with the Son of Man title?
Well, here is where it all ties together. Barbelo is the first human, She is Man, but She is not a human being, She is an Aeon.

Geradamas is the perfect human, He is the manifestation of humanity in its purest form. When a person reaches perfection, gains Gnosis of God, they become Geradamas.

If Barbelo is Man, then Geradamas is the Son of Man.

Thus when Jesus refers to himself as the Son of Man he is telling people that he has been anointed by God (reached Gnosis/become Christ) and so has become the perfect human, Geradamas.

As an aside, it also becomes apparent that, since Barbelo is an aspect of God, She is the Hand of God – She is God too. Thus Geradamas is the Son of God and the Son of Man – and so is Christ Jesus.

Ezzedean

This was a very interesting article... to me the most thought provoking part of the article was the connection between son of man and son of Adam.... personally I can't say that this is what Jesus meant by him stating that he was the Son of Man, but it does make a lot of sense.

Good stuff.

Salam ou Alikum
Ezzedean Fadel

A

angellous_evangellous

Is the "Son of Man" title actually used in Gnostic texts, as it is in Enoch and Daniel, writings that Jesus and/or the early Christian writers had access to?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
angellous_evangellous said:
Is the "Son of Man" title actually used in Gnostic texts, as it is in Enoch and Daniel, writings that Jesus and/or the early Christian writers had access to?
Is "Son of Man" used as a title in either of those texts, or as a long-winded way of saying "I"?

To answer your question, we don't know. We have a couple of pre-christian Gnostic texts, like the Apocalypse of Adam, but they don't deal with Son of Man titles. It was fortune alone that gave us the Christian texts we have, finding surviving copies of Jewish Gnostic texts is even less likely. The majority of the information i used for the article comes from texts like the Apocryphon of John, which is a Christianised version of a Sethian text.
The title Son of Man is not specifically used in such texts, but i feel the origin of the title itself is explicitly demonstrated.

Also, remember that Jewish Gnostics had access to those same books of the Tanach.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
angellous_evangellous said:

Although it's not necessarily "gnostic," the phrase appears in verse 86 of the Gospel of Thomas. There, interestingly, it may actually be intended to be read somewhat literally as a reference to humans generally as part of a larger metaphor rather than a symbolic designation of Jesus himself.

Jesus said, "The foxes have their holes and the birds have their nests, but the son of man has no place to lay his head and rest."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That was an good article, thank you. I had never heard of the myth of Barbelo before. It reminds me of a hymn of Vishnu that goes, "The gods themselves are merely constructs out of Her maternal substance." Vishnu was also known as a Son of Man.

Terry1961

Since the genealogies in Matthew and Luke do not agree, and in fact are not even close...
Jesus is not the seed of the woman through the line of Seth.
Jewish authorities tell me that no one with that genealogy(incest, moabite line, curse, murder, prostitution, adultery, etc) would even be allowed to be a teacher in Israel let alone a king or the messiah.
For Jesus to be the messiah, he must be the "seed of the woman"
His authority is forever tied to his paternity
The woman referred to in Genesis is Eve and not Mary
The seed of the woman Eve is Abel, Seth is "another seed" not THE seed.
Christ is The seed of the woman, because he is Abel Reborn
The first to die, is the first to be born again from the dead
Abel, the good shepherd, who was slain like a lamb at the foundation of the world.
Abel ABBA + EL Father God
Abel means Meadow, for it was in a meadow that he died
Habel means Breath or vapor and is not accurate as the name of Cain’s brother
Jesus asked his disciples who do men say that I am
The answer they gave "The Christ, Son of the living God"
That’s not who, its what
The Who is Abel
For natural must come before that which is spiritual
Abel a natural man, Jesus, spiritual man
Christ came in the flesh as ABEL like us in every way
Jesus came in the Spirit in the Likeness of Man born of the spirit, unable to sin for that which is born of the spirit does not sin and cannot sin.
This is the Secret of the Lord
Its WHO Jesus is
He is Abel reborn
Mystery of Mysteries
Wonder of Wonders
Deep calls to deep
The Desire of the Ages
ABEL - ABELLO - APOLLO, SON OF ZEUS (EA-ZEUS, JESUS)

Terry1961

The Son of Man

Jesus' favorite way of refering to himself.

In Hebrew Man is "Adam"

Change Son of Man to Son of Adam

The only son of Adam described as THE seed of the woman is ABEL

A woman does not have a seed unless she bury a Son, like planting a seed in the ground.

Abel, the promised seed

When Jesus tells us over and over that he is the Son of Man, He's saying he's the son of Adam.

Hes telling those with ears to hear who he is

He's saying I AM ABEL reborn in Christ, annointed with the authority and power to fufill the office of messiah

That which is natural must come before that which is spiritual

Before he could be Christ born of the Spirit, he had to be born a natural man born in the flesh in every way such as we are, yet without sin, for ABEL is called righteous. When he was a man, born by the will of man after the flesh he was subject to our weaknesses, but when he was born again from the dead (for Abel was the first member of the dead) in Christ he was unable to sin, because he was born of the spirit and that which is born of the spirit does not sin and cannot sin.

Abel, the good shepherd, is the first to die and is therefore the first to be born from the dead for God does everything in order

Each of us in turn must follow Him on this shinning path to the straight and narrow way that leads to life and eternal redemption, that gate and way is the Cross of Christ, There, you who are called and chosen by election to be born again into Christ, shall take up your cross and follow him. You shall do the same works that he did in the same way to accomplish the same thing. This is the way,,,,. He is the way, you in him literally,

Jesus showed the way

You must be born a natural man

Live as his disciple

Die and become a member of the righteous dead

Then be born again from the dead a spirtual man

Complete your mission, overcome the world, earn a crown (of thorns) and obtain eternal redemption in immitation of Christ

Be seated at Jesus' right hand just like he was seated at his fathers right and rule with Him a thousand years

Do the "greater work"

Become a column in His temple never to leave his immediate prescence again,

kylixguru

Pretty interesting article.

I agree that the title Son of Man does indeed correlate to Son of Adam.

I look to Abel/Seth as being the entity that is referred to here.

Because Abel was murdered by Cain, Seth was the appointed replacement for Abel. The name Seth actually means "appointed". It is Seth's duty to raise up seed unto his deceased brother.

Son of Man is God's Christ or the Lord's Christ. IOW, He is actually who redeems His Father Adam from His fallen state and restores Him to His throne.

This is why in Revelation 12:10 it says:
"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God (Adam), and the power of his (Adam's) Christ (Seth): for the accuser (Cain) of our brethren (Abel) is cast down, which accused (excommunicated/removed "breath of life"/denied Holy Ghost to) them before our God day and night."
This is why in Luke 2:26 it says:
"And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ."
ADD: So, what I'm saying here is there is overlap that can be identified and then additional correlations can be made. Bits and pieces can be crossed over and calibrated to get a more complete picture of things. The Book of Revelation is talking about stuff going on right inside the Adam and Eve narrative. It's fleshing it out in greater detail. You just have to know how to tie it all together. The biggest key is knowing the end of one cycle of creation is overlapped by the new creation that follows. Thus, you are speaking of the ending and the beginning at the same time. Adam is at the end and the beginning. He is the Alpha and the Omega.

Last edited by a moderator: