• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sikh Concept of God

ZZKBKB55

From what I understand of Sikhism, Sikhs understand God to be the indescribable, transcendent, and omnipotent. These are also attributes used to describe the Abrahamic God.

My questionis this: Do Sikhs consider their God to be the same as the Abrahamic God? Or is the Abrahamic God the same as the Sikh God?

chinu

chinu
My questionis this: Do Sikhs consider their God to be the same as the Abrahamic God? Or is the Abrahamic God the same as the Sikh God?

God means God, not human being, if he belongs to everyone, than surely he is God, Or that's why he is God
But.. if he belongs to sikhs and abrahamics separately, than surely he is humanbeing, insted of God.:)

W3bcrowf3r

Both Quran, Gospel, Psalms, Tora and the Guru say that there is one God. Which means that all human beings have the same God. But this message is getting distorted by the denominations who claim to follow those Books.

I also have my questions about the Guru, it talks about gods in my translation though.

ManSinha

I believe that the Guru used the concept of god to describe the light - the eternal truth -
"Nanak leen bhayo gobind sio; jio paani sang paani"

Merging with the eternal light just as water from two containers can mix irrevocably and completely

The issue with the Abrahamic definition of God that at least I can see is -

1. God is interactive (no - and there is no proof of such given what is happening in the world)
2. God is "mine" and "My way or the highway" (God of Israel, The only way to the Father is thru me (John 14:1), the non believers in Allah)
3. Finally - the SGGS - is the only holy book ordained to lead an entire faith that has writings in it - from people of other faiths IOW I am unaware of Muslims / Hindus writings in the Bible or anyone else other than Prophet Muhammad's writings in the Qu'ran

The Sikh philosophy aligns much closer with the Vedas and hence pan en theistic characterization

Last edited: