• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Signs of Astrology

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It happens with any great, creative art. Religious mythology is there for me to find myself. It really doesn't matter what the artist intends. What matters is what the art reveals to me about myself and where it takes me. (~doppleganger)

What art reveals about "myself" it reveals about all humanity, for what springs forth from the unknowable "self" is a part of all humanity. This is what the artist "intends" if he truly is an artist; there can be no mistaking it --the take that identifies humanity will always be correct simply because in it we recognize ourselves.

The Zodiac of astrology symbolizes the human condition divided into twelve aspects expressed in metaphor. These metaphors are applicable to the planets and points of astrology, and do not describe any particular individual except in that they describe all of humanity.

Or, to put it another way, "Man, in his archetypal forms (the signs), goes out into life and experiences the various circumstances of [each sign]. What he learns about life, the inventions he creates, the level of spiritual enlightenment he achieves, the passions he awakes, etc., all pass on to the ocean of life which the whole human race derives its motivating force. Each human being draws strength and the potential for understanding life from this great ocean, and thus we are all one."

The excerpts in this article are from Alan Oken's Complete Astrology, with elaborations and commentary by myself.

ari.png
Aries - I Seek My Self

The glyph for Aries is the horns of the ram, and also resembles the eyebrows and nose, which are expressive of the human face. Aries is me putting myself into relationship with others in the world around me. "Aries ...symbolizes the realization within oneself that one is different and apart from the rest of humanity. It is therefore the individualizing agent, the ego, the consciousness of self. Aries is the beginning, that first emanation of self-awareness coming from the realm of the collective unconscious (as embodied by Pisces, the last of the signs)."

Aries rules* the head and all associated organs therein, most especially the eyes which express the soul (of all the body parts, the eyes are most capable of non-verbal communication). Aries is in turn ruled by the planet Mars: action, self-assertion. As a metaphor of self, the Ram represents that self-assertion contained in the action of ramming horns during the rutting season --Aries describes the individual "aware of him- or herself as a human entity surging through life." Included in the metaphor is a head-strong drive (or dive) into challenging circumstance with a "look before you leap" attitude of recklessness, and a thoughtlessness or inconsideration towards the outcome.

One of the best analogies I have heard used of the Zodiac compares each sign to a stage in a "cycle" from birth to death --in that case, Aries is Man as the inquisitive child, assured in the actions he takes by ignorance of consequence, and therefore innocent of any guilt. "He seems to judge all of existence by the extent of his own consciousness: the more limited his natural awareness, the more limited his world." For all he asserts himself, Aries lacks knowledge of himself, and so every action is a test of the world around him to see what he can discover about himself.

*Rulership is the association of one symbol with another in a set related by similar meaning but with differing contexts.

tau.png
Taurus - I Seek My Self Through What I Have

The glyph of Taurus is the head and horns of the bull, although its rulership is over the neck and shoulders, the strong foundation upon which the massive head rests. Taurus is one of two signs ruled by the planet Venus, representing the relationship woven between the self and others in deed.

Taurus is Man as a collector of possessions: through the things he owns he defines his identity. The premier possessions of any self are its mind and body, through which self interacts with the world. Armed with these, the individual defines things that are "mine" as opposed to "yours," and in defining these Taurus reveals itself as sensitive to needs, both its own and those of others. Knowledge gained of oneself is a possession, too: Taurus takes what Aries has learned of itself and cultivates it, like fruits ripening in the garden, "so that the practical necessities of life are fulfillled." For Taurus, the things used to identify self are useful and have purpose.

Taurus are individuals "conservative and careful in how they express themselves, for they must give form to the impulse of life that Aries has passed on to them," preferring to let actions speak louder than words. Taurus learns from experience to correct mistakes and mend bridges. That said, Taurus is the metaphorical youngster in the life-cycle of Man, finding expression in the clutter that makes his house a home.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Each of the signs describes a certain principle which contributes to the total evolution of Mankind . . . each sign represents only one twelfth of the totality of Man's being" (~Alan Oken).

The Zodiac of astrology symbolizes the human condition divided into twelve aspects expressed in metaphor. These metaphors are applicable to the planets and points of astrology, and do not describe any particular individual. Ideally, you should find a bit of yourself in each of the signs, for together they tell the tale of being human.

An analogy can be drawn between the first three signs of the Zodiac and the first moments of emerging consciousness. Conscious awareness sets the landscape: from a subjective perspective, relationships between a subject and the world of objects that surround it are formed. "Mine" is such a relationship, as is "yours," as is "mommy" and "daddy," "hungry" and "cold." Language is a means for the self to interpret and communicate these relationships, relationships that it itself stands in relation to as observer and experiencer of them. The self is immersed in a world of meaning (the mind) that makes sense of its relationship with people and things.

gem.png
Gemini - I Seek My Self Through What I Think

"Gemini's function is to choose the right ideas upon which the soul of Man will develop and grow." Gemini symbolizes the mind of the individual accumulating thoughts and memories, critically selecting concepts and ideas that will inform it, and hence shape its world. "The mind serves to analyze, to separate what is being viewed from the viewer: to objectify." Through Gemini, subjective opinions that are a direct reflection of the individualized self of Aries develop and are communicated to others.

The glyph for Gemini, as well as the concept of the twins, is a symbol of duality: two regions joined by two columns --heaven and earth, mind and body, self and other, mortal and divine, etc. The ideal twins are alike, each a perfect reflection of its counterpart, but inherent in the symbolization of duality are opposites that attract but also stand in stark contrast of their counterpart. Gemini stands balanced on a fulcrum between knowing the other so well and never being able to fully understand them. It explores its relationship with others by repeatedly testing the world of words, ideas and concepts that inform the spirit, and critically challenging is own ideas and the opinions of others.

Gemini is ruled by the planet Mercury, representing the mind's ability to interpret input from the senses, and from the mind, converting data into images and concepts that make it comprehendible; and it rules over the nervous system, as well as those dualistic parts of the body that are used in communication: the hands, the arms, the lungs, the lips and the bilateral larynx. In the life-cycle analogy, Gemini is the young person at a learning stage, free to discover his or her self enriched by a circle of family, friends and peers.

can.png
Cancer - I Seek My Self Through What I Feel

The first three signs of the Zodiac describe the developing person finding and defining him- or herself in the world --a world of ideas, possessions and other people. With the fourth sign, the informed self finds its soul as it faces choices and ethical dilemmas and determines what to do with itself. The glyph for Cancer depicts two claws, one turned upwards and the other turned down; they also represent the breasts, which Cancer rules, and the waxing and waning of the Moon by which it is ruled. Like Gemini, this is a sign of duality, yin and yang playing off each other in a perpetual dance in search of balance: for Cancer, this balance is one of the needs of the self versus the needs of others.

The Cancer individual applies the concept of "mine" to particular relationships, forming groups of family, friends and like-minded people in which it is comfortably grounded. The identity with things that Taurus gained (like house, ancestry, citizenship) is concretized into a solid foundation that will support a secure and mature personality. Such things maintain the individual in its identity, and so in turn need to be maintained; hence Cancer will hoard in the present to provide for the future, and nuture the current state of affairs.

In Cancer, the archetypal Man is "forced into playing a larger role in the scheme of the Universal Plan." Cancer has a home and lot of identity and security invested in that. Cancer in the life-cycle is the teenager learning responsibility, standing on the threshold between play and work, child and adult, family and being with friends.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ba-da-bam, ba-da-bing. (~Andrew Dice Clay?)

The Zodiac is a pictorial representation of the apparent movement across the sky of the heavens. As a circle, it is measured in degrees divided into twelve equal parts. The first point of Aries, corresponding with the first moment of Spring, is considered to be the beginning of the Zodiac, as it was the beginning of our story. In the religious context of astrology, everything begins with self.

We know in actuality that it is the earth that moves; however, the apparent motion of the sky from East to West is what is significant to the astrologer. Appearances are meaningful. If you click on the image of the Zodiac you can see that the rotation of the Zodiac is clockwise with each degree appearing on the Eastern horizon (the far left; that is, the point of rising) once a day.

The Zodiac of astrology symbolizes the human condition divided into twelve aspects expressed in metaphor. These metaphors do not describe any particular individual by virtue of what time of year they were born; rather, they are a backdrop on which the drama of the stars is played out. Ideally, you should find a bit of yourself in each of the signs, for together they tell the tale of being human.

leo.png
Leo - I Seek My Self Through What I Create

In Leo, the developing story of our individual "Man" takes him into the area of realising the full potential of his spirit, where the personality established from Aries to Cancer can shine through. Leo rules the heart --the physical organ, as well as the metaphorical heart that represents things like boldness, bravery, loyalty and courage. The heart of the Lion "animates [Man] with the force of life," life here being the meaningful self that we have created, whose movements are reflected in an animated body and an outspoken mind in the physical world. The glyph of Leo resembles the head and billowing main of a lion, and this stands as an analogy for the ego as an extension of physical being; it also resembles the heart and a winding vein or artery that will convey life-giving blood throughout the body.

Leo is ruled by the Sun, which is a symbol of self realised through consciousness. In Leo the self shines, an adequate metaphor for egoism and human spirit that is expressed in creativity and leadership; and this shining attracts others like moths to the flame. "It is through this sign that the true personality of Man can be expressed." In other's "expressions of self" we recognize ourselves, and so come to know ourselves; and because it touches directly on the self this symbol also embodies Man's basic human rights and freedoms in a true spirit of independence and self-governance.

Still in the "seeking to define itself" phase, Leo is relatively a child in our life-cycle analogy, albeit a young adult. It has learned responsibility, but still recognizes the importance of its foundation in the child-like innocence of Aries that faces the world without fear of consequences. Leo "desires to create and impregnate the world around it with its own stamp of ego."

vir.png
Virgo - I Seek My Self Through What I Learn

In Virgo, we are completing a second set of three signs that have as analogy using the faculties of our being as tools to find out more about ourselves. Cancer takes possession of its world of relationships as self takes possession of its body; and Leo governs its world and all in it, as self governs mind. Virgo is the individual seeking to understand itself by understanding the others, as part of "unity," and to do that it immerses itself in the roles of society.

Virgo looks at humanity from the perspective of being one amongst them. Virgo is the epitome of the observer of humanity, and also by virtue of being a part of the whole, she is the individual who feels herself eminently qualified to comment on the greater whole. Virgo is the second sign ruled by the planet Mercury, and as such brings interpretation to the world of society and relationships. She turns a critical eye to detail because that's where understanding will be found.

"Virgo's strength rests in the latency of power contained in the unreleased energy of her being." Virgo's symbol is the virgin goddess --the meaning of which for deity is "the self-created" --that brings completion to the process of finding, or creating, one's self. The child has grown up. The symbolism of goddess is of the land, rather than the sky; of creator who is her creation (being), as opposed to the creator who stands as a being apart from his creation looking down on it. The glyph represents a coil or spring, which has symbolic relevance in potency and potentiality; and is also said to resemble hay bails at harvest time, holding the promise of the coming year, the fruits of life, and as such Virgo rules over the stomach and abdomen. The virgin goddess in mythology was often depicted as pregnant --another symbol of potency, in this case of life.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
A graceful and honorable old age is the childhood of immortality. (Pindar)

Through the signs so far, from Aries to Virgo, we have analogized an individual waning from childhood to adulthood, finding or defining himself in relationship to others. In the second half of our story the self-made "Man" goes through a waxing, a sort of deconstruction of self up to his inevitable mortal end (and just to spoil the ending there is a subsequent rebirth, for it cannot be a life-cycle without a loop).

Each of the signs of astrology exists in relationship to all of the signs. Note that in choosing a picture for each of these blog entries I've displayed the whole Zodiac, rotated so that the signs being discussed appear to be rising. No one sign stands alone as a descriptor of humanity --all together they inform us of the idea of what is it to be human.

The tropical (meaning figurative) Zodiac used in Western astrology is determined by the seasons and not by constellations in the Milky Way, and therefore no longer has any literal connection to the heavens (the sidereal Zodiac is still used in the East, though). The use of a tropical Zodiac does not change the practice of astrology, however. In terms of divination, it only changes what lots have been tossed.

lib.png
Libra - I Seek My Self Through What I Unite

Marriage is the union of self and another. Both in symbol and in its stage in the life-cycle analogy, Libra explores the relationship of "marriage" in the context of an individual committing him- or herself to becoming part of a unit acting together in consort to present a merged identity of partnership. In becoming partners with another individual or individuals, a process is set up to reshape oneself, figuratively speaking, to conform to the other and shape the other to conform to the one. This describes the social niceties that we all exercise and through which we all get along, as well as rules and mores, and by extension regulations and laws. "Just as Aries is compelled to project himself through life and win out over his confrontations with opposing forces, Libra is equally drawn to interact with others, assert his social identity, and harmonize with what confronts him."

Libra is ruled by the planet Venus, and rules over the diaphragm, the navel and the body's urinary waste elimination process that balances our system, keeping in check toxins that would poison the blood. Libra's sign is a set of scales, but they are in turn a symbol of the cosmic clock of the daily and yearly cycles that inform our calendars. The glyph resembles the sun hovering above the horizon, uniting heaven and earth, mind and body, heart and soul in one symbol. The very balance that Libra strives for is found at the spring and autumn equinox, when day and night are the same length.

"Libra reveals the struggle and dualism of each human being: on one scale he is striving towards the bliss of a conscious union with divinity, and on the other he is working for mastery and power over the material sphere of personal desire." In participating wholeheartedly in building partnerships, Libra wilfully offers up its individuality to identify with a greater whole.

sco.png
Scorpio - I Seek My Self Through What I Desire

Libra saw the birth of a union that consists of individuals. In Scorpio the "group identity" of the union is structured around a shared body, a shared mind, and shared resources, but maintenance of that identity stands in contrast to the needs of the individuals that make up the union. Scorpio, while being a part of the whole, still holds strongly to the individual identity gained in Aries-Virgo as if it was a precious and secret thing --and in a way it is secret: in the context of the group, from its perspective, the individual's identity is something hidden that only he can truly know (a secret identity).

Scorpio represents the desire of the individual to become the unity, but that would mean the death of his individuality. He sees complete merger as something essentially unattainable, and that only serves to make it all the more desirable. Building on the Libra "urge to merge," and by virtue of his strong awareness of his own identity, he will structure his world to try to accommodate both the needs of the many and the one. "To Scorpio, the idea of a complete joining of forces with a person or sometimes with a supernatural being is of the utmost importance. This he will do through the use of other people's energies and resources."

In the analogy of our developing life-cycle Scorpio is the individual who has settled down into a comfortable relationship that is uncomplicated and satisfying. He has a mortgage and a savings plan, and actively pursues life, but is not yet ready for family --Scorpio would rather be a child than have one. The glyph for Scorpio has the same coils or spring that we saw in Virgo, but with a barbed end. Here, that represents the release of potential and potency as energetic vitality, adequately symbolised in Mars, which rules over this sign. This same idea is embodied in the climax of sexual energy, as Scorpio rules over the reproductive organs.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Men would say of him that up he went and down he came without his eyes; and that it was better not even to think of ascending… (~Plato)

Divination, in its various forms, utilizes the idea of numinosity --that is the idea that things have a reality apart from what our senses perceive of them. There is, of course, no evidence for us of this, as we are limited by our ability to perceive, both through the senses and through our devices. Gods, Goddesses, Angels and Demons are all images of numinosity: they express the idea that there is more to the composition of the whole of reality than meets the eye. If "nature" is what we are capable of perceiving, then the divine in divination represents the unknowable whole of reality.

Each of the signs of astrology that I am describing is in brief. It is not intended to represent all the symbolism that the sign has to offer --that can perhaps wait for future articles --but simply intended as an introduction to the progression of the Zodiac as an expression of the human experience.

sag.png
Sagittarius - I Seek Therefore I Am

In Libra the individual was born to the realization of a new consciousness of itself in concert with others; and in Scorpio was spawned a desire to become one with the whole. This oneness is accomplished in Sagittarius to the greatest extent that is mortally possible, through organization of the group mind that "expands upon his understanding of human relationships." Through exploration in the infrastructure of the society, the Sagittarius individual underscores the best and worst of man's social accomplishments in areas and practices such as science, philosophy, religion, law, and even astrology. Armed with knowledge, he will build a foundation upon which the group mind, and its body along with it, will thrive.

If it all sounds very idealistic, it is (each of the signs of astrology represents an ideal, but in this case I was being literal). Sagittarius indulges itself in the ideal of all it is to be human --objectively, with no bias towards the positive or negative aspects, as well as subjectively, shaping society through itself --and communicates it back to others both in word and in deed with the purpose of furthering mankind's knowledge of itself. In the life-cycle analogy, Sagittarius takes our adult individual through colleges and libraries, sporting competitions and concerts, television and film, city halls and mosques, homeless shelters, brothels and public pubs, looking for new ideas and experiences that will define the human condition.

Sagittarius rules over the hips and thighs that provide man with a centre of balance and the strength that propels him forward towards the future. The glyph for Sagittarius is an arrow that never misses its mark, a symbol of wisdom and strength, as is its planetary ruler Jupiter. Its sign is the wise Centaur, half man-half beast, that speaks to the awareness of the duality of human nature. The Centaur in mythology "depicts the active battle between the constructive and destructive forces: the conflict between the most noble attributes of Man and his most bestial or carnal habits."

cap.png
Capricorn - I Seek My Self Through What I Use

The myth of the Mer-Goat (sea-goat) who becomes a Mountain Goat is used to expresses the essential idea of Capricorn. "The Mer-Goat is a divine creature who already possess the vast riches of the sea and who climbs up onto the land in order to see how these resources can best be used and formed into matter for the inhabitants of the Earth." The image of mountain and sea is also captured simplistically in the glyph, for which the upper half is a mountain and the lower circle a wound (or in some representations of the glyph, meandering) sea-serpent tail.

The "resources" of the Mer-Goat are the sea of knowledge that Sagittarius has gleaned of mankind. With this knowledge of experience firmly in hand, the Capricorn individual takes charge of society from a position of authority. Our individual's search for a personal self culminated in Cancer, and now that he has fully matured in our life-cycle analogy, in Capricorn, his attention is turned towards caring for his family, his state, his nation, his god and the universe. These things he is a part of; they care for him, as a parent, just as he in turn cares for them.

Capricorn works within the system to be the system. Yet, as is acknowledged in the symbolism of this sign's ruler, Saturn, he knows his limitations. Capricorn "knows that the seat of real power and wealth lies beyond the realm of the personal ego." Although he exercises power, Capricorn acknowledges various "higher authorities" in the execution of his duties. Capricorn rules over the flexible knees that bend in honour of all humanity.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
For the astrologer, the interpretative symbolic language of astrology gives a real and significant insight into life, seen from within rather than from the outside. It refers to human experience as it is lived. (~Geoffrey Cornelius, The Moment of Astrology)

From early times astrologers have been divided between utilizing a language that interprets signs, and one that stresses the planets as causes of events on earth. The different is significant (literally). Both views are founded in a world-view or philosophy of the universe, but two philosophies that are radically different. One --the one that uses a language of causes --is the result of natural inquiry, which is the earliest version of science developed in Greece from the fifth Century B.C. on. This world-view produced an idea of a cosmic clock or machination that operates the world according to natural laws, and the astrologer has only to look at the heavens and let the machine make predictions. The other world-view is one that I have been promoting, one that includes the astrologer as the significator of reality by virtue of his subjective perspective on the world around him. To this person, signs can appear, and they can have importance.

In the final two signs of the Zodiac the individual we are describing, in 12 parts, comes full circle. In order for there to be a birth of individuality in Aries, there must be a complete dissolution of individuality, and this occurs (symbolically) in Aquarius and Pisces.

aqu.png
Aquarius - I Seek My Self Through Humanity

In the second half of the Zodiac, from Libra to Capricorn, "Man's" point of view has shifted from an individual finding unity with one other individual to his standing tall and taking his place in the scheme of human things. By contrast, Aquarius presents to us the individual's understanding of humanity's place in the universal scheme of all things. "Aquarius is Man perfected by his understanding of the oneness of Mankind."

The glyph of Aquarius is wavy lines representing the "water of consciousness" being poured from the urn, which is its sign in the sky, washing away to merge with the background stars. This sign embodies all the symbolism of brotherly love; but, more importantly, when our individual seeker reaches a point where he identifies himself as the Universal Man he effectively ceases to be individualized and becomes instead a vessel of the ideology. As with everything man does, this can be put to good or bad ends, but either way it will alter the existing structure of society with its demands on behalf of all humanity. As a result, both society and the individual who is a part of it change and evolve. Aquarius is ruled by the planet Uranus whose symbolism is the revolutionary (previously ruled by Saturn), and rules over the ankles that link this sign with holy messengers and divine communication.

Aquarius in our life-cycle analogy is the elder who has lived a long and interesting life, and while he stands on death's door, facing the future like all of us do, the understanding he has gained of what it is to be human fills him. If he is religious he may be gripped by a vision of an afterlife or a collective unconscious into which his experiences are poured. "What [Aquarius] has to do in order to balance his desires and visions with reality is to understand that all men are not created equal, nor do they all share his conceptions and ideals." Inevitably, the circle of the Zodiac is leading back towards Aries and a re-realisation of individuality.

pis.png
Pisces - I Seek My Self And I Don't Seek My Self

Our individual, who in the previous signs Libra-Aquarius had found unity with humanity in various forms, now loses all consciousness and drops like the proverbial sack of potatoes to the ground! The image is overly dramatic, but that's appropriate for Pisces: this sign encompasses the entire drama of human existence, including what it is to lose oneself completely to unity. Pisces operates mainly on instinct, translating the experience of humanity it has gained into myths so that others can learn from him.

Pisces is the individual who has had the foundation of their world-view shaken --as Bob Marley put it, "their boat rocked" --and this leads to a withdrawl or alienation from what it is to be human, a sacrifice of consciousness for self-preservation. The dissolution of self that Aquarius saw as "freeing" has become a burden for Pisces as it can never look at the world in the same way again. In the glyph of Pisces, the crescents represent two "fish" turned away from each other but joined in the middle by a line. The symbol represents the internal conflict of self/no-self, sacrifice/don't-sacrifice; and also works for the feet, which Pisces rules, which sometimes want to go in opposite directions, figuratively speaking.

Pisces is ruled by the planet Neptune, where instinct is a requirement to navigate murky waters (formerly ruled by Jupiter). In our life-cycle analogy, where the individual aged from childhood to the elder at death's door, Pisces shows us an individual whose eyes have just opened: the new-born infant, exposed to everything the universe has to offer and equally vulnerable to it.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm so glad you finally started an astrology thread. What do you want to discuss in particular? :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Buttercup said:
I'm so glad you finally started an astrology thread. What do you want to discuss in particular? :)
Anything you want, if you have any questions about what I'd wrote. Otherwise, it's just a small part of my presenting what astrology is (in addition to the older threads I'd made).

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Buttercup said:

Maybe compatabilities? Which sign works best with another? I always found that interesting :)

jacquie4000

Anything you want, if you have any questions about what I'd wrote. Otherwise, it's just a small part of my presenting what astrology is (in addition to the older threads I'd made).
I was also wondering is not also the time and part of the month you were born as important as your sign? And how? For example i was born DEC 15 1966 at 12.31pm.
Thanks for any info you can provide. Nice job on the post too.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
jacquie4000 said:
I was also wondering is not also the time and part of the month you were born as important as your sign? And how? For example i was born DEC 15 1966 at 12.31pm.

I don't think so, I know you need the time to figure out your rising sign, but for the sun sign you just need the day.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Gentoo said:
Maybe compatabilities? Which sign works best with another? I always found that interesting :)

Oh yeah, that sounds like fun. I'm a Scorpio and my husband-to-be is Pisces. We get along great!

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
jacquie4000 said:
This thread is about the symbolism of the signs. There can be other threads to talk about timing.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Hema said:
Oh yeah, that sounds like fun. I'm a Scorpio and my husband-to-be is Pisces. We get along great!

Yey! A fellow Scorpio! Guitar's Cry is one too, so that makes our relationship all the more interesting ;)

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It's remarkable how similar this is to Jane Loevinger's and Susanne Cook-Greuter's work on cognitive and ego development.

Did Oken develop this purely from Astrological tradition or does he cite to any modern psychology work on cognitive development?

doppelganger

Also, it's very interesting that Pisces is the "I don't seek myself" state. That's what Taoism or Buddhism would consider the achievement of "enlightenment" or harmony with the way. But it uses the fish, which is the symbol for Jesus as well.

doppelganger

In the glyph of Pisces, the crescents represent two "fish" turned away from each other but joined in the middle by a line. The symbol represents the internal conflict of self/no-self, sacrifice/don't-sacrifice; and also works for the feet, which Pisces rules, which sometimes want to go in opposite directions, figuratively speaking.

That symbolism is in "the Cross" as well. Jesus bridges the gap between being and not being divided by the upright of the "T" or cross.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
doppelgänger said:
It's remarkable how similar this is to Jane Loevinger's and Susanne Cook-Greuter's work on cognitive and ego development.

Did Oken develop this purely from Astrological tradition or does he cite to any modern psychology work on cognitive development?
I'll check his sources when I get home. Oken's is from the 60's, and yes it draws on previous studies of the symbolism by people like Alan Leo and Carl Jung.

doppelganger

Willamena said:
ari.png
Aries - I Seek My Self

The glyph for Aries is the horns of the ram, and also resembles the eyebrows and nose, which are expressive of the human face. Aries is me putting myself into relationship with others in the world around me. "Aries ...symbolizes the realization within oneself that one is different and apart from the rest of humanity. It is therefore the individualizing agent, the ego, the consciousness of self. Aries is the beginning, that first emanation of self-awareness coming from the realm of the collective unconscious (as embodied by Pisces, the last of the signs)."

Aries rules* the head and all associated organs therein, most especially the eyes which express the soul (of all the body parts, the eyes are most capable of non-verbal communication). Aries is in turn ruled by the planet Mars: action, self-assertion. As a metaphor of self, the Ram represents that self-assertion contained in the action of ramming horns during the rutting season --Aries describes the individual "aware of him- or herself as a human entity surging through life." Included in the metaphor is a head-strong drive (or dive) into challenging circumstance with a "look before you leap" attitude of recklessness, and a thoughtlessness or inconsideration towards the outcome.
In ancient Egypt, Khenmu was the ram-headed god associated with the creation of the people and animals, and is often considered the "pottery" god for having crafted people out of the clay of the Earth. This is the same imagery in your description of Aries, the creation of self distinction out of chaos.

Anyone know of other ram-related symbolism? Of course, in Judaism and Christianity, the ram is the subsitute offering for atonement. Thus, perhaps giving up self-distinction - the killing of the ram - is the way to communion with God.