• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The significance of the incorporation of Gita in the epic Mahabharatta

Shantanu

I have frequently heard that the Bhagavad Gita is part of the epic Mahabharatta, and that it was incorparated into the epic at a much later date.

Is this true and if so what is its significance?

Shantanu

I do not know if it was introduced at a later date or not but Gita is definitely part of the Mahabharatta: inseparable. Part of the association is to do with the clarification of dharma by the epic in minute detail within a great story. The fact that God Himself has said what dharma is in the context of war.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Importance of following one's dharma without any hesitation (would not care if it is old or not :)).

Shantanu

“अहिसा परमो धर्म: धर्म हिंसा थेव च:”
अर्थात, अहिसा परम धर्म है पर धर्म के रक्षण के लिए हिंसा करना सर्वोतम है
That is to say, non-violence and not-killing is the highest dharma (do’s and don’ts), but fighting (including killing) to protect dharma is the highest form of living. So one can imagine how important this it. One needs to fight even to the point of killing in order to protect dharma including the highest dharma, namely, ahimsa or non-violence.
And the second verse to this shloka is:
धर्म एव हतो हंति धर्मो रक्षति रक्षित:
अर्थात, धर्म उसकी रक्षा करता है जो धर्म की रक्षा करता है, धर्म बिना का जीवन मृतु/जानवर/असुर/मलीच सामान है जो आप की ही मृतु करता है
This means, the person who spends his life protecting dharma, is protected by dharma back in turn; whilst the person who kills dharma is killed by dharma.
Hardik Bhatt of India writes further to me that this shloka is part of a conversation between Bhisma and Yudhister before the Mahabaharatta war.