• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Significance of the Ascension of Jesus Christ

What was the significance of the ascension of Christ?

• Allegorical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Acts of the Apostles 1:9-11 records the ascension of Christ before His disciples.

And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

How should we best understand these remarkable words? Is it a literal event or perhaps the story symbolises a more profound meaning? Perhaps there is another way of looking at it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Since i am not a Christian person i will try to be careful to describe what happen to Jesus and the ascention, But in my understanding Jesus ws an enlighten being in human form who had only one mission on earth, to teach his disiple how to also become enlighten. And when his mission was finish his physical body dies and the spiritual part of Jesus goes back to heaven.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Acts of the Apostles 1:9-11 records the ascension of Christ before His disciples.

And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

How should we best understand these remarkable words? Is it a literal event or perhaps the story symbolises a more profound meaning? Perhaps there is another way of looking at it.

The apostle Paul wrote.....
"For when Moses had spoken every commandment of the Law to all the people, he took the blood of the young bulls and of the goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled the book and all the people, 20 saying: “This is the blood of the covenant that God has commanded you to keep.” 21 He likewise sprinkled the tent and all the vessels of the holy service with the blood. 22 Yes, according to the Law nearly all things are cleansed with blood, and unless blood is poured out no forgiveness takes place.

23 Therefore, it was necessary for the typical representations of the things in the heavens to be cleansed by these means, but the heavenly things require far better sacrifices. 24 For Christ did not enter into a holy place made with hands, which is a copy of the reality, but into heaven itself, so that he now appears before God on our behalf. 25 This was not done to offer himself often, as when the high priest enters into the holy place from year to year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise, he would have to suffer often from the founding of the world. But now he has manifested himself once for all time at the conclusion of the systems of things to do away with sin through the sacrifice of himself." (Hebrews 9:19-26)

To me this explains why Jesus had to return to heaven. His ascension is a true account because Jesus had to take the value of his sacrifice and present it before God on the alter of his grand spiritual Temple in heaven. His apostles saw him go up and be caught from their view in a cloud.

The "manner" of Jesus' departure was to be repeated at his coming.....how? It was not observed by the world at large, but only by his closest companions, so when Jesus was to return, he said he would give them a "sign" of his "presence" (parousia) so that they would know he was ruling as King. (Matthew 24:3-14) Not observable to the world but observed by his chosen ones.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I think he ascends like smoke ascends. When smoke ascends it becomes cloudy and vanishes. I think that is the visual effect being described here, too. Jesus starts to ascend and then turns into a mist and disappears. Now, it could also mean that he keeps going up until clouds obscure him, but I don't think that is what is being described. Its just that its easier for me to come up with an explanation of the symbolism if he ascends like smoke from an altar.

The angel who visits Sampson's father ascends in the smoke of an offering. (Judges 13:20)

Jacob's Ladder - Wikipedia

Jesus is supposed to be like a ladder that angels ascend and descend on, per the gospel of John 1:51. This supports a smokey interpretation of how his ascension appears to the disciples.

All of it supports that the story is symbolic not literal.