• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sigil of Baphomet - Old Canaan Gods Casted Down

BlackMirrorBlueFlame1911

Investigator of Sigils and Symbols.
Hello all,
I am a new member to this forum. I have done some research and would like to have a second opinion on this.
The Church of Satan uses the Sigil of Baphomet as their main symbol, which confuses me, because I believe Baphomet to be an old god- just like El, Astaroth(?), Molech, and more. I know in some iterations of the Bible Molech is seen as a demon. Is this Christianity correcting the beliefs of old gods of Canaan?

My main question is this- why is Baphomet used a sigil when it is a idol of the old god's of Canaan?

For more information, they are seen as Ba'al-- and back then Ba-al was chosen in some ritual I can't really remember. Ba'al translates to lord. They would sacrifice children in order to bring the rain of Canaan to fertilize the crops. Mo'lech was chosen as the new Ba'al, which then I believed Baphomet was denounced.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't mean everyone suddenly stopped believing in Pagan gods, or using their imagery. Many courthouses have the Roman Lady Justice outside them.

BlackMirrorBlueFlame1911

It doesn't mean everyone suddenly stopped believing in Pagan gods, or using their imagery. Many courthouses have the Roman Lady Justice outside them.
I see that, thank you. Would you think the sacrifice of the lambs were representive of Molech and Baphomet?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The image of the "Baphomet" is the Sabbatical Goat by Èliphas Lèvi. It is often called the "Goat of Mendes" by occultists trying to link it to Ancient Egypt. "Baphomet", however is a series of mispronunciations; it is the "entity" that the Knights Templar were accused of worshiping in 1307. However "Baphomet" is a misspelling/mispronunciation of "Mahomet", which is a Medieval French corruption of Muhammed, the Muslim Prophet. In short, the Knights Templar were accused of being Muslim, not devil worshipers.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not know. I remember reading somewhere where they would sacrifice lambs to god in order to symbolize them disbelieving the old gods, I think.
Well, after having come out of Kemet I'm not sure the gods that would be on their minds are Molech and Baphomet. That said, I'm unsure what this has to do with your original post.

BlackMirrorBlueFlame1911

The image of the "Baphomet" is the Sabbatical Goat by Èliphas Lèvi. It is often called the "Goat of Mendes" by occultists trying to link it to Ancient Egypt. "Baphomet", however is a series of mispronunciations; it is the "entity" that the Knights Templar were accused of worshiping in 1307. However "Baphomet" is a misspelling/mispronunciation of "Mahomet", which is a Medieval French corruption of Muhammed, the Muslim Prophet. In short, the Knights Templar were accused of being Muslim, not devil worshipers.
I see what you are getting at. Now it is just the understanding of when the
Well, after having come out of Kemet I'm not sure the gods that would be on their minds are Molech and Baphomet. That said, I'm unsure what this has to do with your original post.
It would be why the Church of Satan would be using Baphomet as their symbol when they are worshipping the beliefs of Satan. To my understanding they worship not Satan but some form of magic of Satan. So do they uses Baphomet as a magical sigil for their beliefs? Thank you for responding, I would not have found a quicker response.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be why the Church of Satan would be using Baphomet as their symbol when they are worshipping the beliefs of Satan. To my understanding they worship not Satan but some form of magic of Satan. So do they uses Baphomet as a magical sigil for their beliefs? Thank you for responding, I would not have found a quicker response.
I don't know. I'm not a Satanist. So I guess I'll just let a Satanist respond. Lol.

BlackMirrorBlueFlame1911

I don't know. I'm not a Satanist. So I guess I'll just let a Satanist respond. Lol.
Lol, thank you regardless. I think it is mainly the beliefs of the Church of Satan to be Magi, and they use Baphomet as a summoning circle. And that depends if the Magi are Satanist tho aswell lol

BlackMirrorBlueFlame1911

So it is history that quotes that they were yelling Baphomet then? That makes sense, given how similar the pronunciation is.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Essentially, yes. And then that was propagated with Satanists in the early 1900's, piggy-backing off the claim of "unholy worship", and combined with occult shock-factor acts of rebellion against the Church.

Viker

Häxan
My main question is this- why is Baphomet used a sigil when it is a idol of the old god's of Canaan
It was an arbitrary decision that the founders of the Church of Satan made. They were already using the five pointed star or pentagram before the church was chartered. So when around 1966 they formed the CoS they chose Èliphas Lèvi's symbol for the Goat of Mendes or Baphomet as representive of their organization.

The main reason being that the image of a goat has been representative of Satan (and his adherents) since the New Testament of the Holy Bible was first issued. I.E., Satanism.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
Boy, they were late with their Satanist scare reaction weren't they?
A hundred years ago fundamentalist/reactionary Christianity was nearly non-existent. People needed a boogeyman man in the 1980's. Sovietism was on it's death bed and nobody took terrorism serious yet. The story of the Satanic Panic.

BlackMirrorBlueFlame1911

It was an arbitrary decision that the founders of the Church of Satan made. They were already using the five pointed star or pentagram before the church was chartered. So when around 1966 they formed the CoS they chose Èliphas Lèvi's symbol for the the Goat of Mendes or Baphomet as representive of their organization.

The main reason being that the image of a goat has been representative of Satan (and his adherents) since the New Testament of the Holy Bible was first issued. I.E., Satanism.
So there is no direct connection to it being the used by Magi as a summoning circle, then. It makes sense to me because that was how they represented Satan. It seems like a new religion phase of history becoming in the United States or elsewhere.

Viker

Häxan
The evolution of a cultural boogeyman in my life time.

Communists then Satanists then Islamists now white guys.

BlackMirrorBlueFlame1911

The evolution of a cultural boogeyman in my life time.

Communists then Satanists then Islamists now white guys.
There must have been quite a big time and place where no evil was present after Jesus's death. Only the promise of Hell that made poor people afraid of what their beliefs were. Excuse me, there was evil but not in the religious aspect- it's only in their lights did they say that any actions was evil.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
A hundred years ago fundamentalist/reactionary Christianity was nearly non-existent. People needed a boogeyman man in the 1980's. Sovietism was on it's death bed and nobody took terrorism serious yet. The story of the Satanic Panic.
"Satanic Panic" is also used as a PR smear campaign whenever the Church feels culturally threatened. It's not just limited to Satanism anymore, but broadened to "Pagan Ideals" (e.g. Avatar, Harry Potter, Dungeon's & Dragons (still), reaction media like God's Not Dead, etc)