• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Semi-Anti-Vaxers

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Only there is evidence that vaccinated people still spread covid anyway. So what's the issue?
It's not safer, that's a false premise.
I notice that your argument isn't quantified at all.
Not all risks are equal. This is a big problem with
the semi-anti-vaxers, ie, the failure to address
unequal probabilities & severities of risks.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've seen a huge range ... right from the vocal anti-vaxxer who goes to the street in front of hospitals and yells at everyone, to the quiet person who rarely goes out, never speaks their mind about it, and has made the decision that they personally don't need the vaccine, because their lifestyle never was risky.

So too with the pro side ... there's a range.

Some people rather kill themselves being activist while others find it irrelevant to make a public scene. Just depends, really. We'd have to really know the person to judge their intentions either way.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Excuses? No, logical reasons.
Nothing is perfectly safe. There are a great many more toxic episodes and deaths from taking aspirin or penicillin than there are from the vaccines. Do the vaccine doubters criticize these, as well?

Only there is evidence that vaccinated people still spread covid anyway. So what's the issue?
There is evidence that seatbelt wearers are still killed in car accidents. Is this a legitimate reason to avoid them?
It's not safer, that's a false premise.
What's not safer?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Nothing is perfectly safe. There are a great many more toxic episodes and deaths from taking aspirin or penicillin than there are from the vaccines. Do the vaccine doubters criticize these, as well?

There is evidence that seatbelt wearers are still killed in car accidents. Is this a legitimate reason to avoid them?
What's not safer?
Being vaccinated doesn't stop you from being a carrier. At best it might make your symptoms milder. That's it. That's literally the only reason left to be vaccinated. So why should I be pushed to do something that only affects my health?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I notice that your argument isn't quantified at all.
Not all risks are equal. This is a big problem with
the semi-anti-vaxers, ie, the failure to address
unequal probabilities & severities of risks.
Because we don't know who is a carrier. Be realistic. We don't have that information because it's impossible unless everyone is tested everyday. But, wait the testing isn't accurate anyway. I know people who obviously have it that tested negative. Even when their spouse has the same symptoms at the same time they do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because we don't know who is a carrier. Be realistic. We don't have that information because it's impossible unless everyone is tested everyday. But, wait the testing isn't accurate anyway. I know people who obviously have it that tested negative. Even when their spouse has the same symptoms at the same time they do.
Being realistic...
The lack of knowledge is good reason to get the shots, wear
masks, & keep yer distance from disease ridden humans.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I find the DeSantis type interesting....advocating safe
behavior at times, yet also impeding it at other times.
Is this a coherent policy, or is it trying to curb the
pandemic while pandering to an anti-vax base?

Our premier here is like that ... seems to me he doesn't want to lose his base, and still please the masses. His message often contradicts itself. For example, he is totally against any form of vaccine passport (77% of people here want it, mostly for convenience sake) but he also yells, 'Get the vaccine.' He makes a rule and then immediately grands exemptions. He's be far Canada's most unpopular premier.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the news....
First responders nationwide resist COVID vaccine mandates
Semi-anti-vaxing seems to be a protest against requirement by an authority.
Often no complaint about the vaccine itself...just refusal for its own sake.
I've noticed that, as well. I wonder how consistent their principles are, though. Do they also question speed limits, seat belts, drug laws, building codes or my freedom not to wear pants in the Summer?
I'll bet a lot of these radical individualists would object strongly if I burned a flag.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Being vaccinated doesn't stop you from being a carrier. At best it might make your symptoms milder. That's it. That's literally the only reason left to be vaccinated. So why should I be pushed to do something that only affects my health?
You're correct. Vaccinated individuals can contract covid, but the chances of contracting it are greatly reduced, if contracted the number of viruses shed will be much fewer, and the duration of infectivity -- and the disease -- much shorter. So taking it is socially beneficial.
Wildswanderer said:
Facepalm! I have no information that the shots stop anything, but I should get them anyway?
Where are you getting your information?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've noticed that, as well. I wonder how consistent their principles are, though. Do they also question speed limits, seat belts, drug laws, building codes or my freedom not to wear pants in the Summer?
I'll bet a lot of these radical individualists would object strongly if I burned a flag.
I believe they comply when it's under threat of fines & jail.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You're correct. Vaccinated individuals can contract covid, but the chances of contracting it are greatly reduced, if contracted the number of viruses shed will be much fewer, and the duration of infectivity -- and the disease -- much shorter. So taking it is socially beneficial.
There's no proof this is the case. It's actually impossible to know who is a carrier and who isn't.