• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The seer and and the seen

atanu

Premium Member
Our universe can be categorised into two: The seer and the seen.

The study of the seen is the field of science. Enquiry into the nature of seer comes under the domain of spiritualism. Then, how is the enquiry into the nature of the seer delusional or fantasy? How can one say that "I have completely understood the seen", if one has not known the seer?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

The study of the seen is the field of science. Enquiry into the nature of seer comes under the domain of spiritualism. Then, how is the enquiry into the nature of the seer delusional or fantasy? How can one say that "I have completely understood the seen", if one has not known the seer?

You could say some "Seers" do indeed enjoy telling tall tales of their exploits and experiences. Who doesn't like wealth and fame in some capacity?

Some others who see things and experience things without any answers , sometimes would rather fill in the blanks themselves rather than having to wait for whatever it is , to become more apparent and established on its own accord through study and observation.

It really doesn't matter either way at the end speaking for each individual. None of it will be retained indefinitely.

atanu

Premium Member
You could say some "Seers" do indeed enjoy telling tall tales of their exploits and experiences. Who doesn't like wealth and fame in some capacity?

Some others who see things and experience things without any answers , sometimes would rather fill in the blanks themselves rather than having to wait for whatever it is , to become more apparent and established on its own accord through study and observation.

It really doesn't matter either way at the end speaking for each individual. None of it will be retained indefinitely.

Hey you. I am not referring to ‘some seers’. I am talking of seer that is you.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Very true.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

And into what category you place your own reply?

HonestJoe

The study of the seen is the field of science. Enquiry into the nature of seer comes under the domain of spiritualism.
I disagree. Science can be used to study anything, it is only our ability to apply it that is a limit. “Spiritualism” is a fuzzy word that means lots of different things to different people so I don’t think you can just throw it out there like that. You’d need to explain precisely what characteristics of “seers” render them fundamentally inaccessible to science.

You also have the issue that any given “seer” can be “seen” by others. You could observe me and I could observe you. You could observe me observing something else to aid understanding of the processes I’m using. Ultimately, you’re not talking about fundamentally different things, just things playing different roles.

How can one say that "I have completely understood the seen", if one has not known the seer?
I don’t think it’s possible to say we completely understand anything and we can’t always know where our limitations or errors might lie. Of course, you’re the only one here who appears to be claiming a complete understanding of something. :cool:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I disagree. Science can be used to study anything, it is only our ability to apply it that is a limit.
While science can study anything, not everything to be known is achieved by study. In fact, most of what we know does not come through study and observation, but by being, through experience. A subject studies objects. But the subject knows itself through letting go of seeking itself outside itself by turning itself into an object of the mind.

Think of it like feeling how your body stretches and moves. You can read everything there is to know about the human body and its operations, but you will have no clue what a body actual is until you actually inhabit it and live through it as the subject of itself. Turning subjects into objects, makes their actual reality into an unreality, a cardboard cutout facade of reality. Hence the mystic recognizes all of that as the world of illusion.

You’d need to explain precisely what characteristics of “seers” render them fundamentally inaccessible to science.
Its purely subjective reality.

You also have the issue that any given “seer” can be “seen” by others.
What is "seen" is a mental idea of what the seer is. What is seen is a mirage.

You could observe me and I could observe you. You could observe me observing something else to aid understanding of the processes I’m using. Ultimately, you’re not talking about fundamentally different things, just things playing different roles.
Being the Seer is knowing the Seer. It is not arrived at through observation. Anything observed is not the reality of the thing itself. It's reality becomes our idea or model of its actual reality. We replace its reality with our mental image of it. It becomes a projection of our minds to us, like the images of our dreams with its independent reality.

But that is not the waking state of our existence. When we open our eyes and the fog of dreams clears, we inhabit the real. We don't need to study if we are awake. We know are by subjectively being awake. We just know we are. We don't need peer-reviewed articles to tell us that. Any child knows this innately. That's how we know the Seer. We wake up and know what is real.

Last edited:

HonestJoe

While science can study anything, not everything to be known is achieved by study. In fact, most of what we know does not come through study and observation, but by being, through experience. A subject studies objects. But the subject knows itself through letting go of seeking itself outside itself by turning itself into an object of the mind.
That’s still all forms of study, even forms of science, just less formal ones. Experience is just a gathering of evidence, on which we based conclusions. Anyway, none of that justified bringing the word “spiritualism” in to it, which appeared to be the main point of the OP and what I was objecting to.

Its purely subjective reality.
Rubbish. The OP made a definitive assertion that needs to be explained and supported if it’s to be accepted.

What is "seen" is a mental idea of what the seer is. What is seen is a mirage.
Yes, that’s arguably true of everything we experience. I don’t see how it’s relevant to the distinction being made in the OP though.

But that is not the waking state of our existence. When we open our eyes and the fog of dreams clears, we inhabit the real. We don't need to study if we are awake. We know are by subjectively being awake. We just know we are. We don't need peer-reviewed articles to tell us that. Any child knows this innately. That's how we know the Seer. We wake up and know what is real.
Sorry, but that’s just a mess of rhetorical garbage. It doesn’t actually mean anything, or more to the point, it could be taken to mean anything the read wants. The major problem with this kind of idea is that you can’t actually back it up by definition. You just assert that you know the truth and anyone who disagrees just hasn’t “woken up” enough to understand.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That’s still all forms of study, even forms of science, just less formal ones.
When I lay back in the water and allow the senses to take in the experience, without thoughts, is that study?

Experience is just a gathering of evidence, on which we based conclusions.
The experience is the raw data. What we "conclude" about it is an imaginary wrapper our minds think is true about it. "The Tao which can be named, is not the eternal Tao".

Anyway, none of that justified bringing the word “spiritualism” in to it, which appeared to be the main point of the OP and what I was objecting to.
I would prefer the term spiritual, rather than calling that state of being an "ism". That is very misleading, as an "ism" is a doctrine of the mind. And yes, "being", beyond words, is in fact described as "spiritual" because it cannot be contained in the boxes of definitions and words. It is "breath", It can move through, in, around, and beyond descriptions.

Rubbish. The OP made a definitive assertion that needs to be explained and supported if it’s to be accepted.
You think your true subjective Self is rubbish? On the contrary, the rest of what we imagine to be true, is rubbish by comparison, a play full of actors imagining they are actually the characters they are portraying on stage.

Can this be supported? Yes. Of course. Wake up to the true Self, and it becomes perfectly obvious. It doesn't need explanation. It explains itself.

Yes, that’s arguably true of everything we experience. I don’t see how it’s relevant to the distinction being made in the OP though.
Because what I believe he was pointing to is that the knowledge of the Self, or the Seer, is not based on study of ideas or other objective considerations. It's the difference between reading about the ocean, and actually being the ocean. The reality of the Self, is not what we imagine with the mind. It's what we know by getting rid of trying to comprehend it through study and thought. We simply let go and fall backward into the Ocean. The Ocean itself imparts its Knowledge directly into us. We don't need to think about anything.

Sorry, but that’s just a mess of rhetorical garbage.
It appears that way to your mind. It's not of course. What we think reality is, by contrast becomes "rhetorical garbage". Yes, it does make the brain go "huh?" because this is not known through thinking our way into it. The analytical mind doesn't know what to do with it, and defends itself by telling you "don't believe that garbage. I'll tell you the truth! I will, I will, I promise. Just keep believing I can - even though technically you have no evidence I am capable of that. At least I'm familiar to you. You don't want to take me of the top shelf of your prized possessions, do you?" :)

It doesn’t actually mean anything, or more to the point, it could be taken to mean anything the read wants.
No it cannot. It means what reality is. Thoughts and ideas about reality are not reality. If you know this, then how can you say what is real and what is not? On what basis? Science? Science doesn't inform you about you being you. Only you can do that. Not something outside of you.

The major problem with this kind of idea is that you can’t actually back it up by definition.
That's not a problem at all! It's the key to Knowing. The second you define something, you have made is an unreality. Period. It is no longer itself. "The Tao which can be named, is not the eternal Tao". A metaphor of reality when it becomes reduced to a descriptor of reality, becomes a dead metaphor. You are now living in a Flatland reality of two dimensional stick figures of the mind, not the multidimensional reality of being itself.

You just assert that you know the truth and anyone who disagrees just hasn’t “woken up” enough to understand.
Unless you experience it, no, you will not understand. You cannot. You have no context of direct, firsthand experience. That is the point. It cannot be studied. But it is real. And you can't just say whatever you want. You have to be qualified to speak about it first, which means, you've experienced it. You don't speculate about it. It's not something comprehended by the mind.

atanu

Premium Member
In what way is the seer delusional or fantasy?

Some people tar spirituality as delusional with a very wide brush. This thread is meant to point out that teaching of ”Know thyself” is the core of spirituality and this endeavour is an auspicious endeavour and is not delusional.

The seer is certainly not fantasy. The seer is the ultimate reality because no objective determination is possible otherwise. Vedanta teaches that knowledge of the seer is the true knowledge that only can alleviate pain and misery.

Knowledge of the subject-seer is not external to self and thus is not amenable to scientific measurements. What or who will know the knower?

atanu

Premium Member
I disagree. Science can be used to study anything, it is only our ability to apply it that is a limit.

Tell me how you as the subject will know the subject?

You also have the issue that any given “seer” can be “seen” by others.
:cool:

Yeah. You said it yourself now. Seer that is you cannot be known as the subject in any way.

When you study another person, you have already converted that to an object.

HonestJoe

When I lay back in the water and allow the senses to take in the experience, without thoughts, is that study?
No, but it’s not “understanding the seer” or however you want to word it either so that’s not really relevant in any way here. As soon as it’s “with thoughts”, we have some form of something we could call study.

I would prefer the term spiritual, rather than calling that state of being an "ism". That is very misleading, as an "ism" is a doctrine of the mind.
I think both forms of the word are problematic due to the obvious religious baggage they carry. I think a better technical term t cover what you seem to be trying to describe would be “abstract”.

You think your true subjective Self is rubbish?
No. I asked the OP a direct question about one of their claims and you answered that is was subjective. A subjective answer to my question would be meaningless.

Can this be supported? Yes. Of course. Wake up to the true Self, and it becomes perfectly obvious. It doesn't need explanation. It explains itself.
Or how about you’re wrong and I’m right, you’re clearly just not awake enough to understand my deeper understanding of the subject. :rolleyes: That makes for a ridiculously circular “debate”.

Because what I believe he was pointing to is that the knowledge of the Self, or the Seer, is not based on study of ideas or other objective considerations. It's the difference between reading about the ocean, and actually being the ocean.
But again, that doesn’t apply just to “the self”. We can’t truly understand anything, we’re really just guessing based on perceived patterns and images. My point is that there is no magical dividing line between things this problem applies to and things it doesn’t. Everything can be both “seer” and “seen”.

No it cannot. It means what reality is. Thoughts and ideas about reality are not reality. If you know this, then how can you say what is real and what is not? On what basis? Science? Science doesn't inform you about you being you. Only you can do that. Not something outside of you.
I’m not the one claiming to know what is real or not. I’m saying we only have one route by which we create our own image of reality. It doesn’t really matter what you call it, whether you say it is science or science is only part of it. It remains a singular thing though, however many imaginary lines you might choose to draw across yours.

Unless you experience it, no, you will not understand. You cannot. You have no context of direct, firsthand experience.
Everything we know is an experience though. Picking up a cup and thinking about picking up a cup both boil down to electrical impulses within our brains so we can study both cups in that context.

HonestJoe

Tell me how you as the subject will know the subject?
I’m not sure what that is meant to mean.

When you study another person, you have already converted that to an object.
Not converted[/i. The person doesn’t actually change (in this context) when I start studying them. Obviously I can only study them from my context, which will be different to their own but that’d be true if we were both studying something else. Everything is ultimately just concepts inside our own brains, even our concept of ourselves.

atanu

Premium Member
I’m not sure what that is meant to mean.

Not converted[/i. The person doesn’t actually change (in this context) when I start studying them. Obviously I can only study them from my context, which will be different to their own ....

Yeah. That is sufficient. I can eat a bit of mango and then write a million pages on how I felt. At the same time you may record my brain signals and compare the recordings with my verbal reports.

But alas, there is no subjective experience of mango in the verbal report and in the brain signals. There is no way that the subject can be studied, except from a third party POV. And that is not what the subject is.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, but it’s not “understanding the seer” or however you want to word it either so that’s not really relevant in any way here.
How do you know it's not related? On what basis do you say it's not? Do you understand what the Seer is? Of course it's relevant. That's why I brought it up. Why do you dismiss this out of hand without justification?

As soon as it’s “with thoughts”, we have some form of something we could call study.
I said "without thoughts", but I assume you typo'd. Again, as is the point of the OP, you cannot "study" the Seer. In order to do that, you would have to make is an object, which is not possible. The Seer is the Subject. You can only apprehend the reality of it subjectively, with your being, not your intellect which objectifies the world. After the fact, then you can try to use words to describe it, but it's not something outside of the person you're talking to that they can go find somewhere. That is the point of this thread.

I think both forms of the word are problematic due to the obvious religious baggage they carry. I think a better technical term t cover what you seem to be trying to describe would be “abstract”.
I agree about the baggage of these words, despite my desire to use them despite that. Abstract, I don't agree with. Abstract implies some conceptual thing. It's not conceptual, nor if it were would it be considered abstract either for that matter. It is a simple as smelling a flower. Just that. Any child can smell a flower without abstract thought. Just breathe. It's just this.

No. I asked the OP a direct question about one of their claims and you answered that is was subjective. A subjective answer to my question would be meaningless.
You asked this question, "You’d need to explain precisely what characteristics of “seers” render them fundamentally inaccessible to science." I think he corrected your misunderstanding he's not talking about "seers", but the Seer, singular. And to answer that in light of your question in quotes here, I responded that it (the Seer) is subjective. That is the answer as to why it is "inaccessible to science". Science studies objective truths, not subjective realities.

Unless you wish to call mysticism a science? I could go along with that, but understood that means science in the broadest of terms, meaning it follows a methodology of injunction, apprehension, and verification. Mysticism does follow that, but because what it sees can't be measured using the tools of the empiric-analytic sciences which studies the material domain (versus the mental or spiritual domains), wannabe logical positivists of course balk. "Fuzzy stuff" ain't science, according to them.

Or how about you’re wrong and I’m right, you’re clearly just not awake enough to understand my deeper understanding of the subject. :rolleyes: That makes for a ridiculously circular “debate”.
I would never reduce it to such nonsense, as you desire to. You are asking someone to verify that they have experienced the taste of an orange. To which they say, "I have. I can describe it to you, but if you have not yourself tasted one, then how can you say I haven't? Plenty of others who have tasted the orange all describe it the same way." In light of that, yes, I am right. I have tasted an orange. If you say I have not, on what basis do you make this claim? Do you believe you can tell someone what an orange tastes like, having never tasted one?

And as far as being "awake enough", I never said that. You are injecting all sorts of meaning into my words by adding to them the word "enough". This is the reality of it. Anyone who has experienced this all describe it in similar terms, that it is very much like the difference between the dream state at night and the waking state of the day. Except that when you Awaken, you realize the whole time you thought you were awake, you were asleep. You can insert whatever you want to in there as an attack on your ego. That is not what I am saying. I am saying that is how it is experienced, not that you're dumb, or something ridiculous like that. I don't think it terms of "better than you", childishness.

But again, that doesn’t apply just to “the self”.
Point of clarification. The "self", lower case refers to the egoic persona that is developed from childhood on. The Self, is not your personality. The Self is not developed. It is one's true nature and identity, before and beyond the masks of the small "self". It is Reality itself, without mistaking the words we use to describe reality, including our image of ourselves, with Reality itself.

We can’t truly understand anything, we’re really just guessing based on perceived patterns and images.
Exactly! Then how is it you propose science can tell us anything ultimately true about reality, as opposed to functional models that when taken as "fact", actually limit reality?

My point is that there is no magical dividing line between things this problem applies to and things it doesn’t. Everything can be both “seer” and “seen”.
Well, that is true, but I the way in which I understand that will doubtless differ. The dividing line between God and reality is an illusion of the mind. That which sees, is also that which is seen. But this is mystical realization where the self dissolves into the Self. This is what it means to say, "The world is illusionary. Brahman alone is real. Brahman is the world". Do you mean it in this sense? Do you Realize "God"? Are you speaking in terms of nonduality?

I’m not the one claiming to know what is real or not. I’m saying we only have one route by which we create our own image of reality.
And I will add we have only one route to get rid of our images of reality. Let go of seeking with the mind. Open it wide, open the eyes, breathe, and fall back into the Ocean. Then there is no image creation. And what image creation is done, is seen as an artifact of the mind, not the reality of what is.

It doesn’t really matter what you call it, whether you say it is science or science is only part of it. It remains a singular thing though, however many imaginary lines you might choose to draw across yours.
Don't get me wrong, I have and use various maps to try to talk about this, but I understand that they are not reality. They are, as the Buddhists say, "Fingers pointing to the moon". They aren't the moon itself.

Everything we know is an experience though. Picking up a cup and thinking about picking up a cup both boil down to electrical impulses within our brains so we can study both cups in that context.
That my computer screen emits lights to show the words I am reading right now, is not the source of the words.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
[QUOTE="HonestJoe, post: 5772067, member: 24550"

I don’t think it’s possible to say we completely understand anything and we can’t always know where our limitations or errors might lie. Of course, you’re the only one here who appears to be claiming a complete understanding of something. :cool:[/QUOTE]

A physicist remarked that if one knew everything there is to know about a single drop of water, he would pretty much
have a handle on the mysteries of the universe.