• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The secrets of Freemasonary

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
"No amount of reading books will teach you the secrets of Freemasonary.

You can listen at the door, watch videos, learn the passwords, grips and signs.

But you still won't know the secret....

The real secret is incommunicable...

The secret is The Experience Itself."

Thoughts?

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
As someone who belongs to initiatory organizations I will say that if you have the right fit between initiators and initiate there is something that cannot be described in that interaction. The secrets protects themselves due to their inexpressability, for who could really understand it without the experience itself? Whether that experience is preserved in freemasonry I think depends from lodge to lodge, not that I would know personally.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Like all organizations of this world, there is hierarchy, and it's only those at the top who have the highest initiations such as the 33rd degree of the Scottish Rite who perhaps would be in a position to really know.

The ordinary Freemasons who attends his local lodge needs to learn lots of so called ritual craft secrets, secret handshakes, worded codes, etc., which is meant to bestow a certain degree of traditional craft moral integrity, but little esoteric knowledge beyond that sfaik. When I grew up in the 50s, Masonry was big, every town had an impressive lodge and it seemed to mainly serve as a local community, state, national, social network. However, when the US social and business network organizations like Lions, Rotary, etc., appeared in the 60s, they prospered at the expense of the Masons and they are a spent force these days.

Masons I've known vary from atheist to the devout Christians, so they don't discriminate on religious grounds, though it is true that in the past when they were the strong, they did discriminate against Catholics, though I also think it was mutual, no love lost between them. :)

If there are any Masons here, please feel free to correct/comment.

idea

Question Everything

Thoughts?

I would like to add that for our temple, and within any symbolic ritual, you must be able to see beyond the symbol, to the mighty realities for which that symbol stands. The experience goes beyond words and actions, it is commensurate with a complete understanding of the symbolism, that within LDS temples, only comes through Spiritual communion with God.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Like all organizations of this world, there is hierarchy, and it's only those at the top who have the highest initiations such as the 33rd degree of the Scottish Rite who perhaps would be in a position to really know.

If there are any Masons here, please feel free to correct/comment.

Whereas this is true in one sense, it should be noted that suck degrees like the 33rd are simply adminsterative offices.
You could agre the the core techings are expressed in the craft degrees and anything further serves as apendeges.
In the OTO system, which is pretty much an emaglamation and condensation of all the freemasonic rites in existance, all degrees above the IVth (Royal Arch equivalent) are eminations of the 2nd degree - Life.
I see them more like the polishing of the ashlar, after it has been squared.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Thanks Octavia156.

Btw, ...another observation, traditionally the Masons here in Australia were also always big within the police force and also within the paramedical/ambulance service. I don't know about nowadays.

pennsylvania_state_police_card-p137790711476599096z7e15_525.jpg

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I think this is mainly because Freemasonary is a strict heirachical system that suits people who like order and discipline, thus is attracts people who would also be drawn to similar professions. That is all it is.

I think its universal - not just Australia.

jasonwill2

I have many Masonic family members lol, but I know little of Free Masonry. Arn't they like mostly just a collection of people who believe in a generic higher power?

Harmonious

I want to get involved with Freemasonry. :(

Then find your nearest local lodge. From what I've been told, they are very welcoming.

I've also been told that Yorkish Rite requires belief in Christianity to join. Scottish Rite allows members as long as they believe in a higher power.

ETA: When I said I've been told, it was a Mason member of the 42nd degree who told me.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Then find your nearest local lodge. From what I've been told, they are very welcoming.

I've also been told that Yorkish Rite requires belief in Christianity to join. Scottish Rite allows members as long as they believe in a higher power.

I actually know where they are, but I'm too chicken to join yet. They're also a bit far.

What about the whole you need two members to vouch for you thing?

NIX

Daughter of Chaos

Thoughts?

Your experience of freemasonry will always be that of one who gains no entry.

jasonwill2

As I said before, a lot of my family are/were Freemasons or part of Masonic orders.

speaking of free masons...

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

This belonged to my late Great Great Aunt who died about a year ago; http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...15-i-found-bible-pentagram-pics-included.html

Apparently it is from a Masonic Order that was based on the Christian Bible.

So can one just apply to join? I assume it depends on the specific group, but my grandpa told me that you need a sponsor that is already a member, but that may just be a local thing.

edit: wait.... this is a DIR? We actually have a FreeMason DIR?

Last edited: