• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Secret of World Peace lies in the palm of your Hand.

Master Vigil

Look at your hand. Go ahead, no one will smack in your face or make fun of you. :)

Are all of your fingers the same length, width, etc...? Do they all bend in the same exact direction?

They are all different, yet when you use them all simultaneous to hold an object. Your grip is firm.

This is the secret of World Peace!

What do you think?

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
I think that is true enough, but sadly, it will never happen. As long as Humans remain human, there will be no peace. Now if they ( we) could be genetically modified, peace might be possible.

Melissa G

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Look at your hand. Go ahead, no one will smack in your face or make fun of you. :)

Are all of your fingers the same length, width, etc...? Do they all bend in the same exact direction?

They are all different, yet when you use them all simultaneous to hold an object. Your grip is firm.

What do you think?
And here I thought the secret to world peace was introspection! :D

Simple analogy, and a good one.... but like the diverse fingers on your hand, so are people and their thoughts. (Or lack thereof....)

Will makes the fingers bend (that and a series of electronic messages from the brain) .... If there is no Will or electronic messages from an outside force that all fingers can understand, it is quite impossible to have fingers all going the same way. Don't you think?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

What do you think?
Laudable thoughts Dan, but sadly, one has to convince all the little fingers not to fear the other fingers. Too often one hand is giving "the finger" to another hand in order to make its point. Pity, really. Life could be so much better than it currently is, if only all the little hands had the courage to flex their might and say, "Enough!" to the puppet-masters of all persuasions.

Master Vigil

And here I thought the secret to world peace was introspection! :D

Simple analogy, and a good one.... but like the diverse fingers on your hand, so are people and their thoughts. (Or lack thereof....)

Will makes the fingers bend (that and a series of electronic messages from the brain) .... If there is no Will or electronic messages from an outside force that all fingers can understand, it is quite impossible to have fingers all going the same way. Don't you think?
:D He, he... I don't think it should be that complicated. Then it ends up being counterproductive. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As usual Dan, a point that is simple yet holds so much truth to it.
As Paul mentioned though, it is unfortunately a difficult task.

Master Vigil

As usual Dan, a point that is simple yet holds so much truth to it.
As Paul mentioned though, it is unfortunately a difficult task.
Of course it's hard. But anything worth doing is hard. We all know the saying "easy come, easy go." How can we expect something like World Peace to be easy.

But then again, some people like St. Francis would disagree and say it is easy. I tend to agree with St. Francis as to it's only easy once you accept that it is. That is the hard part.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Of course it's hard. But anything worth doing is hard. We all know the saying "easy come, easy go." How can we expect something like World Peace to be easy.

But then again, some people like St. Francis would disagree and say it is easy. I tend to agree with St. Francis as to it's only easy once you accept that it is. That is the hard part.

I don't understand how or if you plan to get everyone to a consensus. Some people out there in this world of ours just dont give a hoot! You ask a girl what she thinks about the problems in Africa, and all she'll reply is, "my lipstick color is African sienna." Do we expect too much of people?

My response has always been no. People have within them the capacity to reach in and see the best of themselves. Or even just to see what they are. Knowing ones' self is invaluable. (Thanks gnosis ;) )

No matter who comes along and the beautiful words and analogies they bless the world with, the fact of the matter is: we cannot "make" anyone see what they do not wish to see.

Hence the fiesty finger analogy. :D

lunamoth

Will to love
The hand analogy is pretty, but perhaps too 'neat.' Life is a 'mess.' I don't mean that negatively...but as Buttons has pointed out, we all think differently and approach life differently. We're not unified in thought and purpose as the fingers of a hand are.

I think the key is to embrace the mess. Embrace the diversity of thought. We need those who protect their dogma, the fundamentalists and we need those who push the envelope to the breaking point, the free-thinkers and mystics. We are always going to be in dynamic tension (Rocky Horror Picture Show anyone? :D) between such extremes, and we'd be stagnant, or dissolve into chaos, without both of these. Yin and yang.

We tend to think if only everyone thought the way we do, we'd have world peace. But that's not going to happen, and that kind of peace would be...Armageddon, the end of the world I think.

Embrace the mess.

Master Vigil

The hand analogy is pretty, but perhaps too 'neat.' Life is a 'mess.' I don't mean that negatively...but as Buttons has pointed out, we all think differently and approach life differently. We're not unified in thought and purpose as the fingers of a hand are.
But the fingers are not unified anymore than we are. They are unified by being attached to the hand. We are unified in much the same way, we all stem from one place. We are in fact, all human. The little surface differences such as, one finger is taller, wider, fingernail is different, cuticles are different, more hair (for some :D ) , etc... represent the differences among each individual. We are in the end, one. We just think that separation exists because it is difficult to see the bigger picture through a smaller lens.

I think the key is to embrace the mess. Embrace the diversity of thought. We need those who protect their dogma, the fundamentalists and we need those who push the envelope to the breaking point, the free-thinkers and mystics. We are always going to be in dynamic tension (Rocky Horror Picture Show anyone? :D) between such extremes, and we'd be stagnant, or dissolve into chaos, without both of these. Yin and yang.
The weird part is, it is easy for the fingers to work together, because they are naturally meant for this. I find humans to be no different. But we are just too selfish to accept that we are all meant to work together.

We tend to think if only everyone thought the way we do, we'd have world peace. But that's not going to happen, and that kind of peace would be...Armageddon, the end of the world I think.

Embrace the mess.
I am not saying everyone needs to think the way I do. That would be preposterous! I'm just saying forget our pointless squabbles, our pointless differences, and work together.

lunamoth

Will to love
But the fingers are not unified anymore than we are. They are unified by being attached to the hand. We are unified in much the same way, we all stem from one place. We are in fact, all human. The little surface differences such as, one finger is taller, wider, fingernail is different, cuticles are different, more hair (for some :D ) , etc... represent the differences among each individual. We are in the end, one. We just think that separation exists because it is difficult to see the bigger picture through a smaller lens.

The weird part is, it is easy for the fingers to work together, because they are naturally meant for this. I find humans to be no different. But we are just too selfish to accept that we are all meant to work together.

I am not saying everyone needs to think the way I do. That would be preposterous! I'm just saying forget our pointless squabbles, our pointless differences, and work together.

I'd love to think that world peace is in the palm of my hand, but actually I think that only peace for myself is that close. I only get to make my own choice, choices for other people...not so much.

But as I said, it is a pretty analogy. :yes:

Master Vigil

I'd love to think that world peace is in the palm of my hand, but actually I think that only peace for myself is that close. I only get to make my own choice, choices for other people...not so much.

But as I said, it is a pretty analogy. :yes:
To change the world, we must first change ourselves. So peace for yourself is the first step. Actions and "being" is addictive. Just like smiling and laughter. We cannot shape the world by words, but by our actions. And even with our little circle of influence, we can start a chain reaction that can indeed change the world. But a 5 thousand mile journey, has to start with one tiny step. Peace in your hand, is that tiny step.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

What do you think?

In an ideal world, yes.

I often think the same about beauty - all is beautiful in nature; perhaps there are "different" ways of seeing beauty in what (at first sight) looks "wrong" - I am talking about the tree that grows at an angle, or where one of its branches grows in -what seems - an absurd angle.

I often think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I make sure I try to see the beauty in everything.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
What do you think?
To change the world, we must first change ourselves. So peace for yourself is the first step. Actions and "being" is addictive. Just like smiling and laughter. We cannot shape the world by words, but by our actions. And even with our little circle of influence, we can start a chain reaction that can indeed change the world. But a 5 thousand mile journey, has to start with one tiny step. Peace in your hand, is that tiny step.
Interesting and catchy ideas, Master Vigil.:bow: I bow to your wisdom. Thanks.