• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The second Temple

roger1440

I do stuff
Is Herod’s Temple the second Temple? I know very well counting the Temples isn’t all that easy. Maybe I should rephrase the question. Is Herod’s Temple a Jewish Temple? Yes, I have an agenda. Where does Ezekiel’s Temple fit within the scheme of things?

Flankerl

Yes it was.

Herod didn't build the 2nd Temple, that was done quite a few centuries earlier.
Herod renovated and enlarged it though.

As far as I am aware Ezekiels Temple is rather not existing.

roger1440

I do stuff
Yes it was.

Herod didn't build the 2nd Temple, that was done quite a few centuries earlier.
Herod renovated and enlarged it though.

As far as I am aware Ezekiels Temple is rather not existing.
Isn't Ezekiel's Temple supposed to be the next Temple?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Isn't Ezekiel's Temple supposed to be the next Temple?
Ezekiel was written during the Babylonian exile, which means his expectations was most likely the 2nd temple, which was already built soon after....

If we look at a picture of the 2nd temple, compared to Ezekiel's expectations, the only thing wrong is the size.

The Jews have this idea they're going to get a 3rd temple, and go back in time 3000+ years to occult Egyptian sacrificial practises. :confused:

roger1440

I do stuff
Ezekiel was written during the Babylonian exile, which means his expectations was most likely the 2nd temple, which was already built soon after....

If we look at a picture of the 2nd temple, compared to Ezekiel's expectations, the only thing wrong is the size.

The Jews have this idea they're going to get a 3rd temple, and go back in time 3000+ years to occult Egyptian sacrificial practises. :confused:
Lets count the Temples. What is the first one?

Tumah

Veteran Member
The number seven represents completeness or something that is finished, does it not? Six is just a smidgen less than seven.
No it doesn't in Judaism. There is no number that represents something that is finished, but 10 is the number that represents a complete whole as does the number 1, 100, etc. Seven represents the natural world. Eight represents the supernatural. Six represents the foundation of the world.

Although I have no idea what the two of you are talking about.

roger1440

I do stuff
No it doesn't in Judaism. There is no number that represents something that is finished, but 10 is the number that represents a complete whole as does the number 1, 100, etc. Seven represents the natural world. Eight represents the supernatural. Six represents the foundation of the world.

Eight represents regeneration.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

My sources say you are wrong about this, and it's not so much based on what is found specifically in Torah but more based on the folklore going back 2000+ years ago and how it fed into Torah. The "666" that is found in the Christian scriptures, for example, is evil magnified, and it would make no sense if it were interpreted as "the foundation of the world".

Again, 3 mean completion and/or very important. 7, 10, 12, 40, and 1000 were also completion numbers, which is why they show up so often in Torah and the Christian scriptures.

Tumah

Veteran Member
My sources say you are wrong about this, and it's not so much based on what is found specifically in Torah but more based on the folklore going back 2000+ years ago and how it fed into Torah. The "666" that is found in the Christian scriptures, for example, is evil magnified, and it would make no sense if it were interpreted as "the foundation of the world".

Again, 3 mean completion and/or very important. 7, 10, 12, 40, and 1000 were also completion numbers, which is why they show up so often in Torah and the Christian scriptures.
I'm pretty sure I'm right and obviously your secular sources mean squat to me.
Its also not such a great argument to say, "all the other cultures in the area saw it that way, so they must have seen in that way too, despite how they actually represented it in Jewish sources", when discussing how Jews understood something.
Not everything that is Jewish becomes Christian. Sometimes Christians just come up with their own thing. You might even say they do it often. Using 6 different numbers to represent the same thing, represents a lack of critical thinking.