• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Second Democratic Primary Debate

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/us/politics/next-democratic-debate-cnn.amp.html

The 2nd Dem primary debate is set for July 30th-31st, hosted by CNN.

Night One:

Marianne Williamson
Tim Ryan
Amy Klobuchar
Pete Buttigieg
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Beto O'Rourke
John Hickenlooper
John Delaney
Steve Bullock

Night Two:

Michael Bennet
Kirsten Gillibrand
Julián Castro
Cory Booker
Joe Biden
Kamala Harris
Andrew Yang
Tulsi Gabbard
Jay Inslee
Bill de Blasio

Also, no more hand raising or one word down-the-line rapid fire questions.

I expect this to be much the same as the first round of debates. Things won't get much more interesting till debate 3 when there will likely be fewer candidates and longer times for candidates to respond.

Will you watch? Do you care? Did debate 1 change your thinking at all?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

I just wonder how many are going to shamelessly pander and randomly switch between Spanish and English throughout the nights debate. That didn't poll well with independents and swing voters last time. Very off putting, awkward, and embarrassing tbh.

Hopefully they let Yang and Gabbard speak and give moderates a chance for once.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I just wonder how many are going to shamelessly pander and randomly switch between Spanish and English throughout the nights debate. That didn't poll well with independents and swing voters last time. Very off putting, awkward, and embarrassing tbh.

Bet you dollars to donuts that most of it is going to be about Trump instead of discussing policy

Enoch07

Premium Member
Bet you dollars to donuts that most of it is going to be about Trump instead of discussing policy

If so that's why the Dems will lose.

They need to stop focusing on Trump and focus on policy. That's why I like Yang and Gabbard. They have policy ideas that very well could have bipartisan support. Real change could happen here, if they are only given a chance.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

A moderate is currently leading by a healthy margin, despite his recent gaffe (defending unpopular bipartisanship). Seems like moderation is getting quite a generous chance. :shrug:

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
If so that's why the Dems will lose.

They need to stop focusing on Trump and focus on policy. That's why I like Yang and Gabbard. They have policy ideas that very well could have bipartisan support. Real change could happen here, if they are only given a chance.
You know the history of the Dems, if they can they will snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. My primary issues are the economy, healthcare and the climate, so Yang is looking good to me

Enoch07

Premium Member
A moderate is currently leading by a healthy margin, despite his recent gaffe (defending unpopular bipartisanship). Seems like moderation is getting quite a generous chance. :shrug:

Quite true. Let me rephrase if I may. A moderate with new ideas needs a chance.

Audie

Veteran Member

Night One:

Marianne Williamson
Tim Ryan
Amy Klobuchar
Pete Buttigieg
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Beto O'Rourke
John Hickenlooper
John Delaney
Steve Bullock

Night Two:

Michael Bennet
Kirsten Gillibrand
Julián Castro
Cory Booker
Joe Biden
Kamala Harris
Andrew Yang
Tulsi Gabbard
Jay Inslee
Bill de Blasio

I expect this to be much the same as the first round of debates. Things won't get much more interesting till debate 3 when there will likely be fewer candidates and longer times for candidates to respond.

Is this like a remake of the bar scene in Star Wars?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I won´t watch. Auctions bore me. I will give you a free college education for your vote ! Hey, I will give you that, plus, free healthcare ! Vote for me and I will give you those plus an income no strings attached !! Wait, wait, I can top that bid, vote for me and I will give you all that, plus I will take over all means of production !

Yes, the clips I saw made me think that not just comedians are hilarious. No doubt, there will be democrats that think stuff is free, and no one has to pay for it.

This is in the liberal only forum.

It must be nice to live in a world where your only exposure to left-wing thought is through the prism of Fox News and AM radio. Who needs to listen to what actual lefties say? And when we do, let's only listen to the silliest.

Audie

Veteran Member
This is in the liberal only forum.

It must be nice to live in a world where your only exposure to left-wing thought is through the prism of Fox News and AM radio. Who needs to listen to what actual lefties say? And when we do, let's only listen to the silliest.

Hey be nice he is coming over to our side!

Neutral Name

Night One:

Marianne Williamson
Tim Ryan
Amy Klobuchar
Pete Buttigieg
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Beto O'Rourke
John Hickenlooper
John Delaney
Steve Bullock

Night Two:

Michael Bennet
Kirsten Gillibrand
Julián Castro
Cory Booker
Joe Biden
Kamala Harris
Andrew Yang
Tulsi Gabbard
Jay Inslee
Bill de Blasio

I am a Democrat but no, I won't watch. In the long run, it doesn't matter. Someone will be nominated and I will probably vote for that person even though my son says to not choose a party but a person. If she or he is any good, I will vote for him or her. And if Trump runs again, I will definitely vote Democrat even if I can't stand the Democratic nominee.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No, I won´t watch. Auctions bore me. I will give you a free college education for your vote ! Hey, I will give you that, plus, free healthcare ! Vote for me and I will give you those plus an income no strings attached !! Wait, wait, I can top that bid, vote for me and I will give you all that, plus I will take over all means of production !

Yes, the clips I saw made me think that not just comedians are hilarious. No doubt, there will be democrats that think stuff is free, and no one has to pay for it.

Is Trump's wall going to be free, or an increased military budget?

Terry Sampson

• This is in the liberal only forum.
    • Thwack! Thwack! Send the bugger back! :D
  • I watched both nights of the 1st debate. Will watch both nights of the 2nd debate.
  • The 1st didn't change my thinking: I was "undecided" before it AND after it. I expect the 2nd to have the same effect.
    • Personally, I'm pretty sure that each candidate has posted their proposals and will amend/change as they see fit. I'd rather see each candidate pass through a moderator's interview gauntlet with each candidate individually and alone with a multi-night Primary during with several votes eliminate candidates until one final vote nominates a finalist. But, I'm realistic: that's unlikelyto happen, .... especially at this late stage in the game.
    • If my idea were to be implemented, the Orange Man would be almost, if not totally, non-functional during the whole process.
    • Free tickets and front seats ought to be offered to the 22+/- women who have accused the Orange Man of sexual improprieties.