• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Second Coming?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: What do we know about the second coming of Jesus Christ?

I've done some study and have found out what The Bible tells us about this issue

Maybe there are other passages about this?

If you can think of any please share!

Many people have claimed to be Jesus Christ returned

Such as Inri Cristo in Brazil

There is a rich tradition of people claiming to be Jesus:

Indeed there is a long list of them available on Wikipedia

The bible explicitly warns against people who claim to be Jesus:

Matthew 24:24

For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Scripture is clear that when Jesus returns he will not be born again as a baby and then grow up into an adult

Which is what all Jesus claimants claim

It will be The Second Coming of Jesus Christ - not the coming of Jesus Christ II

It will not be a reincarnation, it will be a return!

It clearly says that he will descend down from Heaven in much the same way as he ascended, in a way that will be universally observed, by all humankind.

Basically, he will come in such a way that cannot be faked, once it happens there will be no uncertainty that it is Jesus returning:

Matthew 24:30

Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.
Clearly everyone will be aware he has returned once he's returned. It will be a spectacular public event nobody will miss

1 Thessalonians 4:16

For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
Clearly states that he will "come down from Heaven", rather than being born again as a baby

No matter how otherwise convincing a Jesus claimant may be, if they don't come down from Heaven publicly then they aren't Jesus

The bible tells us the manner of his return

The Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus came in secret in 1914

However:

Matthew 24:26

So if anyone tells you, “There he is, out in the desert,” do not go out; or, “Here he is, in the inner rooms,” do not believe it.
Basically, this is a warning against listening to people who believe he has come in secret, in such a way that nobody knows he has come - this is consistent with Matthew 24:30 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16
It also warns us about listening to people who misrepresent Christ:

2 Corinthians 11:13-15

For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.
The Bible also tells us that it is impossible for us to ever know when exactly Jesus will return so any prophecy as to when it will happen cannot be true:

Mark 13:32

But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

What else do we know about the second coming?

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The problem with interpretation is that it has split Christianity into thousands of sects each claiming they know the true meaning.

Even Daniel was told to go his own way for the Books are sealed until the time of the end.

Then where do we get the true interpretation from? You, me, priests?

The Book of Revelation ch 5 provides the answer.

And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? 3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. 4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. 5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

Remember that Christ said He would return in the glory of the Father not as the Son. And in Revelation He said He would come with a ‘New Name’ not the Name Christ or Jesus. And that as the Lion of the tribe of Judah, He would explain the true meanings of the Bible. He is the ONLY one Who can unseal the Book.

So we should be looking for the One Who can unseal the Book not interpret it ourselves as according to Revelation no man on earth or heaven knows its meanings except HIM.

So interpretations of heaven and clouds and great power may not be what you think. He comes from heaven. God’s throne is there so He comes from God not necessarily the physical sky and His power could be a heavenly and spiritual power not necessarily an earthly one.

ONLY the LION knows the truth. Also, although the Bible warns of false prophets it says that the true Prophet we shall know them by their fruits. So not everyone claiming to be His return is false.

That’s the kind of thinking that crucified Christ I would be only positive of the LION’s interpretation not any personal one.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem with interpretation is that it has split Christianity into thousands of sects each claiming they know the true meaning.

The problem is that everyone, including the non-Christian religions that came after, claim to know the "real" meaning. So this whole enterprise of "looking for the Lion's understanding" or whatever, really does nothing to move the ball forward.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I believe in the second coming of Christ ... and everybody else, through the technology we will develop to transfer waves of consciousnesses into physical form again. In fact, I believe religious scientists that develop this technology will bring back Jesus first, and many Christians will claim that person will be the anti-Christ, and there will be a lot of conflict regarding his resurrection. The "new Earth" mentioned in the Bible regarding his resurrection is already starting to be formed right now, but by the time we have the means and ways to bring people back, the entire scope of the world will be vastly different than what it is now, and many of the prophecies stressed in the Bible may be fulfilled - at least the positive prophecies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's funny how people living on a globe in space believe that we will be able to see a man coming down from the clouds.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Question: What do we know about the second coming of Jesus Christ?
I've done some study and have found out what The Bible tells us about this issue
Maybe there are other passages about this?
If you can think of any please share!
Many people have claimed to be Jesus Christ returned
Such as Inri Cristo in Brazil
There is a rich tradition of people claiming to be Jesus:
Indeed there is a long list of them available on Wikipedia
The bible explicitly warns against people who claim to be Jesus:Matthew 24:24
For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect​
Scripture is clear that when Jesus returns he will not be born again as a baby and then grow up into an adult
Which is what all Jesus claimants claim
It will be The Second Coming of Jesus Christ - not the coming of Jesus Christ II
It will not be a reincarnation, it will be a return!
It clearly says that he will descend down from Heaven in much the same way as he ascended, in a way that will be universally observed, by all humankind.
Basically, he will come in such a way that cannot be faked, once it happens there will be no uncertainty that it is Jesus returning:Matthew 24:30
Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.

Clearly everyone will be aware he has returned once he's returned. It will be a spectacular public event nobody will miss1 Thessalonians 4:16
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
Clearly states that he will "come down from Heaven", rather than being born again as a baby
No matter how otherwise convincing a Jesus claimant may be, if they don't come down from Heaven publicly then they aren't Jesus
The bible tells us the manner of his return
The Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus came in secret in 1914 However:Matthew 24:26
So if anyone tells you, “There he is, out in the desert,” do not go out; or, “Here he is, in the inner rooms,” do not believe it.
Basically, this is a warning against listening to people who believe he has come in secret, in such a way that nobody knows he has come - this is consistent with Matthew 24:30 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16
It also warns us about listening to people who misrepresent Christ: 2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.
The Bible also tells us that it is impossible for us to ever know when exactly Jesus will return so any prophecy as to when it will happen cannot be true:Mark 13:32
But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
What else do we know about the second coming?

There is a difference between Jesus coming as Head of the Christian congregation and his ' second coming'.
True, we do Not know the day or hour but Jesus said we would know when the season is ripe - Matthew 24:32-33
So, No, I find Jesus has Not yet returned according to www.jw.org
We are still at the time of Luke 21:11; Revelation 6:8.
Jesus does Not return to take the action of Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15 until ' after' 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3
First, the ' final phase ' of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 has to be proclaimed internationally as being done today.
Then, the ' final signal ' as found at 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 when the powers in charge will be saying, " Peace and Security...." which saying will prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
That Rosy saying of Peace can lead people down that figurative Primrose Path instead of to Christ.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It's funny how people living on a globe in space believe that we will be able to see a man coming down from the clouds.
I find that to be a figure of speech.
The resurrected ascending-to-heaven Jesus disappeared in cloud cover - Acts of the Apostles 1:9
Plus, at John 14:19 Jesus informed us the world would see him No more.
So, Jesus' return will be cloud covered, so to speak, invisible.
What will prove to be visible is that the ' sword-like executional words from Jesus' mouth ' will rid the Earth of the wicked - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The problem is that everyone, including the non-Christian religions that came after, claim to know the "real" meaning. So this whole enterprise of "looking for the Lion's understanding" or whatever, really does nothing to move the ball forward.
To me the forewarning that MANY would come in Jesus' name but prove false moves the ball forward - Matthew 7:21-23

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think it's straightforward imo. In reality it's when the world ends and begins again.
.... and to me 'in reality when the world of badness ends' is when Jesus takes the action of Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15
....and the New begins with the figurative living humble 'sheep' at Jesus' coming Glory Time - Matthew 25:31-34,37
The 'sheep' will be here to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000 year governmental reign over Earth.
The 'sheep' can remain alive on Earth to gain everlasting life on Earth - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The resurrected ascending-to-heaven Jesus disappeared in cloud cover - Acts of the Apostles 1:9
What will prove to be visible is that the ' sword-like executional words from Jesus' mouth ' will rid the Earth of the wicked - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15

And yet the New Testament repeatedly says his return will be visible:

Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see ‘the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven’ with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. Matthew 24:30-31

They said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” Acts 1:11

Look! He is coming with the clouds;
every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
and on his account all the tribes of the earth will wail. Revelation 1:7

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It happens as per prophecy, many are called and few are chosen. The few build the kingdom to come.

Religion is also progressive, evolutionary.

Regards Tony

Brian2

Veteran Member

It says everyone will see Him but I don't know where it says we will all see Him come down.
After He comes there will be plenty of time for everyone (even the dead after they have been raised) to be gathered together and all see Him.

Brian2

Veteran Member

If you still believe that Jesus is now an invisible spirit only, as the JWs believe, then you need to change the meaning of scriptures. So you would not believe every eye will see Him (Rev 1) and you would not believe He comes the same way the disciples saw Him ascend (Acts 1) or probably even that He would come in the clouds.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Even Daniel was told to go his own way for the Books are sealed until the time of the end.

Then where do we get the true interpretation from? You, me, priests?

The Book of Revelation ch 5 provides the answer.

And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? 3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. 4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. 5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

Remember that Christ said He would return in the glory of the Father not as the Son. And in Revelation He said He would come with a ‘New Name’ not the Name Christ or Jesus. And that as the Lion of the tribe of Judah, He would explain the true meanings of the Bible. He is the ONLY one Who can unseal the Book.

So we should be looking for the One Who can unseal the Book not interpret it ourselves as according to Revelation no man on earth or heaven knows its meanings except HIM.

So interpretations of heaven and clouds and great power may not be what you think. He comes from heaven. God’s throne is there so He comes from God not necessarily the physical sky and His power could be a heavenly and spiritual power not necessarily an earthly one.

ONLY the LION knows the truth. Also, although the Bible warns of false prophets it says that the true Prophet we shall know them by their fruits. So not everyone claiming to be His return is false.

That’s the kind of thinking that crucified Christ I would be only positive of the LION’s interpretation not any personal one.

Read the passages below and you should see that Jesus is the Lamb of God, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David.
It sounds sensible to believe what the Bible tells us about the return of Jesus and not someone who comes and claims to be the return of Christ and says "Trust me, the scriptures in the Bible about the return of Christ do not mean what they say, let me tell you what they mean".

John 1:28 This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing.
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Rev 22:16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

Rev 5:1 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals.
2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?"
3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it.
4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.
5 Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals."
6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
7 He came and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne.
8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
9 And they sang a new song: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth."
11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders.
12 In a loud voice they sang: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!"
13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"
14 The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

I haven’t found that to be the case.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Read the passages below and you should see that Jesus is the Lamb of God, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David.
It sounds sensible to believe what the Bible tells us about the return of Jesus and not someone who comes and claims to be the return of Christ and says "Trust me, the scriptures in the Bible about the return of Christ do not mean what they say, let me tell you what they mean".

John 1:28 This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing.
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Rev 22:16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

Rev 5:1 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals.
2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?"
3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it.
4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.
5 Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals."
6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
7 He came and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne.
8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
9 And they sang a new song: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth."
11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders.
12 In a loud voice they sang: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!"
13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"
14 The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped.

As long as we don’t repeat the mistakes of the past. When Christ first appeared the high priests claimed that they knew the scriptures and that He was not the messiah. Today Christians have the exact same attitude claiming they know their scriptures and could not possibly miss Him even though He said to watch and pray as He was going to come like a thief in the night.

He would not have instructed Christians to watch and pray if He was coming physically riding a cloud for all to see.