• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Second Coming

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
If there was a second coming of Christ, would anyone believe he was who he claimed to be?

Would they not think he was just mad, or even worse demonic?

No*s

Captain Obvious
I don't think there'll be any doubt. When Christ appears, it's not the appearance of a man in the sky, but God revealing Himself to creation and cleansing it. Anything less, and I'm going to cry foul ;).

Lightkeeper

In my studying I came across some info that the Second Coming was an idea that was added to Christianity to help hearten the Christians. The beginning years of Christianity was tough times and Christians became disheartened. With the addition of the Second Coming it gave the weary Christians something to hang in there for.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Lightkeeper said:
In my studying I came across some info that the Second Coming was an idea that was added to Christianity to help hearten the Christians. The beginning years of Christianity was tough times and Christians became disheartened. With the addition of the Second Coming it gave the weary Christians something to hang in there for.

And how was the argument supported? It would seem to me to be a very difficult argument to support, since it's a pervasive thought in our early literature.

yaakov

the second comming is a time of judgement there will be know question who he is.
the real question is : will the antichrist be recognized?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Hehehe, i thought jewscout was the antichrist? ;)

Seriously though, people doubted christ the first time around, does the bible give us signs by which we can recognise His second coming? No*s said himself that simply performing miricles again isn't proof enough.

I imagine you'll be able to recognise the antichrist because he/she will attempt to destroy christianity and be quite successful at it, no?

No*s

Captain Obvious
Halcyon said:
Hehehe, i thought jewscout was the antichrist? ;)

Seriously though, people doubted christ the first time around, does the bible give us signs by which we can recognise His second coming? No*s said himself that simply performing miricles again isn't proof enough.

I imagine you'll be able to recognise the antichrist because he/she will attempt to destroy christianity and be quite successful at it, no?

Nothing less than reording of creation will serve as proof of Christ's return :). On the "antichrist," the word doesn't mean "against christ" but "in place of Christ." If I were to have a guess, the fellow won't be "against" Christianity, but will somehow become a focal point for it: be embraced by Christianity. However, that's a guess, and we know next to nothing about the situation, and I don't worry about it too much. There's been plenties of antichrists already :p.

may

In the near future, Christ will judge people of the nations on the basis of how they have acted toward his brothers yet on earth. We read: "When the Son of man arrives in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit down on his glorious throne. And all the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left. . . . The king will say to [the sheep], ‘Truly I say to you, To the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ . . . And [the goats] will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life."—Matthew 25:31-46.

Master Vigil

To me, the early christians were expecting the end of the world and the return of christ to be eminent. When he didn't come, they had to settle down and think of how they could keep the message going. Its been a long time, and people still think the end is near. I personally don't see any proof for it. I'm not into the messianic concept.

may

Master Vigil said:
To me, the early christians were expecting the end of the world and the return of christ to be eminent. When he didn't come, they had to settle down and think of how they could keep the message going. Its been a long time, and people still think the end is near. I personally don't see any proof for it. I'm not into the messianic concept.
yes you are right the early christians were,but they were not aware ,at that time ,that christs return would be invisible.
Before leaving the earth, Jesus Christ promised to return. Thrilling events in connection with God’s Kingdom are associated with that promise. It should be noted that there is a difference between coming and presence. Thus, while a person’s coming (associated with his arrival or return) occurs at a given time, his presence may thereafter extend over a period of years. In the Bible the Greek word er´kho·mai (meaning "to come") is also used with reference to Jesus’ directing his attention to an important task at a specific time during his presence, namely, to his work as Jehovah’s executioner at the war of the great day of God the Almighty.

Master Vigil

"yes you are right the early christians were,but they were not aware ,at that time ,that christs return would be invisible."

Or perhaps it didn't happen at all, and they made that up so they could have something to teach so their religion wouldn't die out?

No*s

Captain Obvious
may said:
yes you are right the early christians were,but they were not aware ,at that time ,that christs return would be invisible.
Before leaving the earth, Jesus Christ promised to return. Thrilling events in connection with God’s Kingdom are associated with that promise. It should be noted that there is a difference between coming and presence. Thus, while a person’s coming (associated with his arrival or return) occurs at a given time, his presence may thereafter extend over a period of years. In the Bible the Greek word er´kho·mai (meaning "to come") is also used with reference to Jesus’ directing his attention to an important task at a specific time during his presence, namely, to his work as Jehovah’s executioner at the war of the great day of God the Almighty.

May,

The word erkhomai is a deponent verb used for "come" or "go." This statement about the Greek language is patently false. The only times when it may be used for directing attention to something are when the text is talking either about an abstraction, an omnipresent entity, or the like, and in those cases it is clearly metaphor.

In all other cases, it has a core meaning of "come," and means exactly that. If the word is used to show attention and says "the man came to his wife," it means he came to her, but with the intention of speaking or something. The extras are added by context, and when talking about a person, the word always means come. It isn't an option. Jesus, when the subject, "comes" to somebody just like we do.

Your sources really need to work on their Greek.

may

painted wolf said:
wait so Jesus is invisible now?

if you cant see him how will you know he's back?

I must be missing something.

wa:do
thats why he left signs in matthew 24 because his coming into kingdom power in the heavens in 1914would be invisible

A

angellous_evangellous

I am with No*s here. The Second Coming of Christ will be nothing less than an entire re-ordering of the world as God fully completes His salvation and judgement purpose. It is nothing less than the fulfillment of Phil 2:

Christ R71 Jesus, 6 who, although He existed R72 in the form R73 of God, did R74 not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, F27 7 but emptied R75 F28 Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, R76 and being R77 made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He R78 humbled Himself by becoming obedient R79 to the point of death, even death R80 on F29 a cross. 9 For R81 this reason also, God highly R82 exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the R83 name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY R84 KNEE WILL BOW, of those R85 who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, R86 to the glory of God the Father.

This is not a text for universal salvation, but a testimony from the Christian text that the Second Coming will be completely unmistakable. This is a compulary confession - the sight of Jesus at his second coming will be unmistakable and all will confess that he is Lord, though not all will be willing to accept his Lordship and will be judged accordingly.

may

The bible identifies Jesus christ as the one to whom God gives ruling power, (revelation 11;15)Bible prophecy foretold that God would also give him rulership and dignity and Kingdom, that the peoples,national groups,and languages should all serve him.(Daniel 7;13,14)That goverment is called the Kingdom of heaven. it is from heaven that Jesus christnow exercises his rulership.all who ignore Gods rightful rulership ,by means of the heavenly kingdom in the hands of Jesus christwill be called to acount(revelation 19;19-21).The prophetic vision recorded at Daniel 2;20-45). depicts political rulership from the time of ancient Babylon, to the present ,as a giant image made of gold ,silver, copper, iron,and clay.Regarding our day, the prophecy foretold ,The God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin .And concerning what that kingdom will yet do during Jehovahs hour of judgement ,the bible declares , It will crush and put an end to all these (manmade) kingdoms ,and it itself will stand to times indefinite(daniel 2;44)

keevelish

many people confuse the rapture with the second coming of Christ. We ARE waiting for the imminent return of Christ (meaning the rapture) there is nothing that needs to be completed before this has to occur. Jesus will meet his church in the air. And then will follow the Bema seat for the saved. They will be judged based on their works as saved people. I'm sure the world will make many crazy explanations for the disappearance of these people.

The true second coming of Christ is based on certain things occurring first. This happens 7 years following the rapture of the church. The gospel must be heard everywhere, and there must be a great apostasy first. When Christ returns, it will be on a white horse and he will return with his church in the air. He will judge the nations at the Great White Throne. No Christians will be judged. Only lost people. The books will be opened and those who are not found in the lamb's book of life will be thrown into the lake of fire. There will be no defending their positions or excuses. The bible says that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. I hardly think that Jesus will have to prove his worth through petty magician miracles to the world.