• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Second Coming Sham

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It's clearly obvious that this was directed at and for people of the day. It's used for retention porpoises today to help keep people sticking around for something that is just not going to happen. It's not like 2000 plus years is going to be any deterrent being this works so well for the starry eyed already.
Oh, I was so hoping there wouldn’t be some overmarketed, derivative, cheap “sequel” or “remake of the original,” to draw in new audiences and sell lunch boxes and action figures.
“Jurassic Park 3” — the lunch box. “Star Wars 8” — the action figure. “God’s Kingdom 12 — the T-shirt... ad nauseum...

Rational Agnostic

I believe this has no context of the second coming. I believe the Kingdom exists at Pentecost and continues into the second coming.

Clearly Matt. 16:27-28, which mentions angels and rewards/judgment, is referring to the second coming. But even if it weren't, Matthew 10:23, Matthew 24:34, and Matthew 26:64 clearly are as well, and all of these verses contain the same prediction that the second coming will occur within the lifetimes of Jesus' followers.

arthurchappell

writer, poet, historian,
Still waiting for his first coming, but surely if the idea is to believed the second coming is really the third coming. 1/. Jesus is born, lives his life and dies crucified - 1st coming over. 2/. Jesus comes back from the dead, chills with the gang for a bit then goes away - end of second coming. 3/. After some vague unspecified time, Jesus comes back and Godot finally turns up too - third coming

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Clearly Matt. 16:27-28, which mentions angels and rewards/judgment, is referring to the second coming. But even if it weren't, Matthew 10:23, Matthew 24:34, and Matthew 26:64 clearly are as well, and all of these verses contain the same prediction that the second coming will occur within the lifetimes of Jesus' followers.

I can't find Matthew 24:21 fulfilled within the lifetimes of Jesus 1st-century followers.
Such a ' great tribulation ' did NOT happen in the first century or since then.
So, the ' great tribulation ' is the coming ' great tribulation' of Revelation 7:14 for our day or time frame.

Matthew 16:27-28 is in connection to Matthew 25:31-33,37,40. That 'separating time' is future and Not past.
As Matthew 17:9 informs us that the 'transfiguration ' was a "VISION" and Not a real happening.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Still waiting for his first coming,.................After some vague unspecified time, Jesus comes back and Godot finally turns up too - third coming

You're Not alone about a first coming. One young Jewish man said he is Not even waiting for a first coming.....
True, the time of Revelation 7:14 (great tribulation) is Not specified but the ' season ' is now ripe.
We are at the ' final phase ' of the international proclaiming about God's kingdom government of Daniel 2:44 to be fulfilled as Jesus said that proclaiming work would be done at Matthew 24:14 and at Acts of the Apostles 1:8.
That means we are nearing the ' final signal ' of 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 when the 'powers that be ' will be saying, " Peace and Security " as the precursor to the coming great tribulation before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will the the one who will usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

Faithofchristian

After reading the thread that @Skwim recently made about this topic, I thought I would continue the discussion by offering an example of another verse that explicitly states that the second coming of Jesus will occur within the lifetimes of first century believers.

Matthew 16:27-28:

"For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

So, there ya have it. The second coming of Jesus was predicted (by the supposedly infallible bible) to occur within the lifetimes of some of the people who were alive in Jesus' time. Yet, it obviously didn't occur, and still millions of Christians around the world actually believe that the second coming will still happen. Well, according to the bible, it was supposed to have already occurred a couple thousand years ago. So much for that.

Exuse me, let's back up and try it again.

Matthew 16:28---"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom"

So what exactly did Jesus mean by that ?

That verse fools many people, all because they are not with the program.

Let's back up and start again, What has Jesus been telling them all along.

"I'm going to Jerusalem, I'm going to die,
I'm going to be resurrected and when I am resurrected, your going to see me.

So when the disciples that were standing there, As well as other people standing there, and saw Jesus had risen, This of Matthew 16:28 came to be fulfilled.

Note that Jesus did say ( There be some standing here)
And there was, some that saw Jesus after his resurrection. And after Jesus resurrection, Jesus did receive his kingdom.
For Jesus did say in Matthew 28:18--"All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth"
So when the disciples and other people saw Jesus after his resurrection, they also saw Jesus with his kingdom.
Before they tasted death.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So much wrong here it's unbelievable. Jesus said, many kings, so forth, and so on, before the coming of the son of man. Ie distant future.

Note that Jesus says son of man, interpret as you wish.

The greek no not of this generation is confusing at best, we know what Jesus didn't mean, because of the other verses.