• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sanctity and Institution of Marriage

Lightkeeper

We hear President Bush and church leaders talking about preserving the sanctity and institution of marriage. Why do they not target the people who live together without marriage? Why do they not target the families where there are children with three mothers or four fathers? Why is homosexuality a threat to the institution of marriage? What do you think can be done to preserve the institution of marriage?

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
Why would we want to?

It's an outmoded system that is now only used in many cases for legal reasons. Marriage doesn't really mean much to many people in today's world.

Runt

I think the sanctity of marriage can be preserved by taking the emphasis away from producing children (that is so medieval!) and redefine the focus of marriage as... gee, I don't know... love?

:bonk:

anders

Lightkeeper said:
We hear President Bush and church leaders talking about preserving the sanctity and institution of marriage. Why do they not target the people who live together without marriage? Why do they not target the families where there are children with three mothers or four fathers? Why is homosexuality a threat to the institution of marriage? What do you think can be done to preserve the institution of marriage?
What's so special about marriages, and why target anybody? Governments should regognize the rights of consenting adults in any combination to live together peacefully and under mutual agreements, without special favours to or discriminations against any such cluster compared to others. After all, we ourselves know better than any authority what suits us.

Linus

Irenicas said:
It's an outmoded system that is now only used in many cases for legal reasons. Marriage doesn't really mean much to many people in today's world.

Actually, ever since the 90's, social scientists have realized that marriage is valuable and important to people.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lightkeeper said:
I'm never going to understand why homosexuality is a threat to the institution of marriage. I've heard all the arguments that it is a threat and all the arguments that I've heard have seemed hollow, so much straw in the wind.

So, I think the notion that homosexual marriages threaten traditional marriages is more an irrational position than a rational one.

Nowadays, I laugh when I hear Bush or church leaders claim that they are preserving the sanctity of marriage by opposing homosexuality and homosexual marriages. It's a bogus issue founded on an irrational fear of homosexuality. Sooner or later, it will go the way of the buggy whip. Time is on the side that favors homosexual rights.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
its not a threat. you have got to be kidding me. threat? THREAT? seriously. we should just all call it civil unions and be saved of that damned problem. in india, the religious and legal ceremony is separate, as in many countries.