• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The saga of my personal victory: Computer 0 Skwim 1

Skwim

Veteran Member
OR: My Journey through computer hell.

I use Firefox as my web browser and up until a few months ago employed Google as my search engine. When I clicked on "Open new tab" the Google search page would pop up and I was ready to search. Neat! I really liked it. Then, for whatever reason--I probably went to some villainous web site---Bing took over. Click on "Open new tab" and the Bing search engine page would appear. Sometimes, not often, I would type in my search and see what it brought me, but most often I would go to my "Bookmarks" and bring up Google and go from there. Well, last night I decided to see if I could fix the sucker. I went to quite a few " setting-google-default-in-firefox" remedy sites that had me going into dangerous territory with warnings like:
warning_zps444f2068.jpg

Not what a non-computer-nerd likes to see on a fix-it quest. Anyway, I clicked on the "I'll be careful. I promise " button and enterd no mans land. Ah ca rumba! Let me out of here! The list of functions to possibly screw up must run into the hundreds. Fortunately, the instructions I received from the fix-it sites directed me to only one or two listings which I would have to change. Cautiously I "modified" the appropriate listing and exited the site. Heartened at my ability to get rid of Bing I confidently went to a new "Open new tab" and clicked. And there it was!
Bing.png

just like it was not supposed to be.

Not to be deterred, I rethought my approach and typed "setting-google-tab-default-in-firefox" into Google and was again directed back to
warning_zps444f2068.jpg

but with new instructions, all of which was to no avail.
Bing.png

Still popped up when I hit "Open new tab" Obviously these yokels with all their free advice didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

Then it dawned on me *BINGO*! Go back to the list of a hundred possible screw-ups and look for those functions with the word "bing" in them. So I did just that and carefully modified them, first making note of their original form in case I really screwed up and had to put them back. So, did this help? NOPE!
Bing.png

still came up. I was ready to call it a night when I spotted a small message in the lower left corner of my screen whose color was so light I could hardly discern it. It was asking me if I wanted to get rid of Bing and return to my old ways. EGAD! Damn right I do you **&$^^@##* ! thanks for creeping into my computer and corrupting my search engine you **&%^^#**!@%&%* . Clicking on the message and with little hope for success I once again went to "Open new tab," clicked on it and voilà.
images.jpg

Question: Among everything I did what brought Bing's message to the lower left corner of my screen?

Answer: I didn't care. I went to bed.