• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Role Of The Media In The Riots

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've noticed in recent coverage of the riots that many black folk say they're
frightened of being out in public for fear of being shot by police. They also
express rage at, & hatred of cops because of their deadly racism.
But is this based in reality?
Let's consider a research paper I remember from a few years ago....

From 2016....
No racial bias in police shootings, study by Harvard professor shows
Highlights from the paper....
1) "Mr. Fryer’s study found that police are 50 percent more likely to engage in
physical interactions with blacks and Hispanics, including touching, pushing and
drawing weapons."
2) “On the most extreme use of force — officer-involved shootings — we find no
racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into
account,”

The paper.
An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force
Abstract....
Roland G. Fryer, Jr
NBER Working Paper No. 22399
Issued in July 2016, Revised in January 2018
NBER Program(s):Law and Economics, Labor Studies, Political Economy

This paper explores racial differences in police use of force. On non-lethal uses of force, blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to experience some form of force in interactions with police. Adding controls that account for important context and civilian behavior reduces, but cannot fully explain, these disparities. On the most extreme use of force – officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account. We argue that the patterns in the data are consistent with a model in which police officers are utility maximizers, a fraction of which have a preference for discrimination, who incur relatively high expected costs of officer-involved shootings.

About Mr Fryer....
Roland G. Fryer Jr. - Wikipedia.

Question....
Why would black folk feel that they're wrongfully shot by cops,
but white folk are not? This is despite the fact that a great many
white folk are wrongfully abused & killed by cops too.

Answer....
I've noticed in the media make race of a victim prominent when
the victim is black, but not when white. The disparate coverage
of race is exacerbated by covering of the larger, more numerous,
& more violent protests over shooting of black folk.
Many people have been largely unaware of the larger problem of
police brutality, corruption, & wrongful shootings against all races
& genders.

Conclusions....
- Media do a disservice to police by making them the targets
of racial animosity.
- Media do a disservice to black folk by singling them out as
frequent victims of violent racism.
- Media do a disservice to white folk by portraying them (us)
as a unified racist group.

Disclaimer....
I've no idea if the media consciously cover police shootings in
this manner for any political agenda. However, I do believe their
coverage is designed to attract the most eyeballs for financial gain.

Requirements to post in this thread....
- Obey RF's rules.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

From 2016....
physical interactions with blacks and Hispanics, including touching, pushing and
drawing weapons."
racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into
account,”

The paper.
Abstract....
Roland G. Fryer, Jr

This paper explores racial differences in police use of force. On non-lethal uses of force, blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to experience some form of force in interactions with police. Adding controls that account for important context and civilian behavior reduces, but cannot fully explain, these disparities. On the most extreme use of force – officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account. We argue that the patterns in the data are consistent with a model in which police officers are utility maximizers, a fraction of which have a preference for discrimination, who incur relatively high expected costs of officer-involved shootings.

About Mr Fryer....

Question....

Answer....
& genders.

Conclusions....
of racial animosity.

Disclaimer....

- Obey RF's rules.

A lot of the issues being expressed, not just the police violence, is a key cause of these protests and riots, I think the media and coverage of the officer shootings of black people was a tipping point, intentional or not idk, in what many see (rightfully) as systemic racial disparities, such as redlining neighborhoods. Which is how black children are more likely to go to poor schools,and get a worse education based on that, because the redlined districts get less money and but if your black you can't move either.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So the media is biased in the name of sensationalism and hence selling more copies. Nothing new there.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The media is a very partisan beast. It does good things for us too, that don't necessarily have to do with the quality of the news itself, like fact-checking people when they go too far. But in this instance, I don't think they are helping the bigger issue with fair treatment of blacks, and also all races.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Network media is a whore for emotionally laden stories and keeps playing that note until it actually distorts and changes reality.

Racial harmony took a unnecessary real turn backwards this week because of it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

About Mr Fryer....

- Obey RF's rules.

Ah! Thanks for the warning............ discussion only.... :)
Sadly I notice that Mr Fryer has shamed himself somewhat, by being dismissed from Harvard for sexual misconduct. For me this causes some loss of credibility for him because it could mean that he devalues the female gender..... leading to.... what else...?
Is he writing stuff to promote Roland G. Fryer?

Just a thought. Have you tried accessing any corroboration for his findings?

Harvard Suspends Roland Fryer, Star Economist, After Sexual ...
www.nytimes.com › 2019/07/10 › business › economy

10 Jul 2019 - Roland G. Fryer, a onetime rising star in economics who has been ... revoke tenure, and can do so only for “grave misconduct or neglect of duty.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

From 2016....
drawing weapons."
account,”

The paper.
Abstract....
Roland G. Fryer, Jr

About Mr Fryer....

Question....

Answer....
& genders.

Conclusions....
of racial animosity.

Disclaimer....

- Obey RF's rules.
I may be answering too quickly, not having given deep thought to your post yet, but I saw something that made an instant impact in my poor brain. That something was this:

I've noticed in the media make race of a victim prominent when the victim is black, but not when white.
In my long history of reading the news, I've noticed a corollary to that. When the victim is black, than the colour of the perp is often the deciding factor in whether it becomes news. If the perp is also black, it's often a non-story. If the perp is white, it's headline news.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I sometimes wonder if those controlling the media sensationalise certain stories so they can make a killing on the stock market.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah! Thanks for the warning............ discussion only.... :)
Sadly I notice that Mr Fryer has shamed himself somewhat, by being dismissed from Harvard for sexual misconduct. For me this causes some loss of credibility for him because it could mean that he devalues the female gender..... leading to.... what else...?
Is he writing stuff to promote Roland G. Fryer?

Just a thought. Have you tried accessing any corroboration for his findings?

Harvard Suspends Roland Fryer, Star Economist, After Sexual ...
www.nytimes.com › 2019/07/10 › business › economy

10 Jul 2019 - Roland G. Fryer, a onetime rising star in economics who has been ... revoke tenure, and can do so only for “grave misconduct or neglect of duty.
I wondered who'd bring that up.
I looked into his sexual misdeeds a little, & decided they were irrelevant to this topic.
And no, I did not look for corroborating research.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I may be answering too quickly, not having given deep thought to your post yet, but I saw something that made an instant impact in my poor brain. That something was this:

I've noticed in the media make race of a victim prominent when the victim is black, but not when white.
In my long history of reading the news, I've noticed a corollary to that. When the victim is black, than the colour of the perp is often the deciding factor in whether it becomes news. If the perp is also black, it's often a non-story. If the perp is white, it's headline news.
I've noticed the same.
Thanx for mentioning it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A lot of the issues being expressed, not just the police violence, is a key cause of these protests and riots, I think the media and coverage of the officer shootings of black people was a tipping point, intentional or not idk, in what many see (rightfully) as systemic racial disparities, such as redlining neighborhoods. Which is how black children are more likely to go to poor schools,and get a worse education based on that, because the redlined districts get less money and but if your black you can't move either.
While that is true, white people get butchered by the police and it goes ignored. Many are surprised to learn it happens. Black people have their issues, yes. But when it comes to the police killing us this is not an issie of race, it is not an issue of black or white. They kill us all with impunity. It effects all of us. And, because of the Anglo-Saxon establishments that have institutionalized racism here for so long, it needs to be put to good use by getting caucasians as a whole pissed about it ("white looking enough" latinos would also hepp just for extra numbers), especially the stereotypical middle class WASP type, because when they get angry stuff gets done (notice the change in opiate addiction when it was realized they and upperclass white America also have problems with them?).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I agree the media is just going to sensationalize it and create controversy because it makes good 'news'. They want the fire to continue and are still going to be stoking the fires of controversy one way or another to make sure it stays lit for as long as they can.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree the media is just going to sensationalize it and create controversy because it makes good 'news'. They want the fire to continue and are still going to be stoking the fires of controversy one way or another to make sure it stays lit for as long as they can.
I wonder if any media could be held liable in tort for injuries suffered
because of reckless disregard for safety in their highly biased coverage?
It would be a tough case to make, but with the right victim & a sympathetic
jury.....it could be a big payoff.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wonder if any media could be held liable in tort for injuries suffered
because of reckless disregard for safety in their highly biased coverage?
It would be a tough case to make, but with the right victim & a sympathetic
jury.....it could be a big payoff.
I would say there would be a resounding bring it on!!

That's a news story in itself!!!

The beauty of tabloid sensationalized journalism.

All I can say if Reuters goes the way of the rest, it's the end of the world.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
While that is true, white people get butchered by the police and it goes ignored. Many are surprised to learn it happens. Black people have their issues, yes. But when it comes to the police killing us this is not an issie of race, it is not an issue of black or white. They kill us all with impunity. It effects all of us. And, because of the Anglo-Saxon establishments that have institutionalized racism here for so long, it needs to be put to good use by getting caucasians as a whole pissed about it ("white looking enough" latinos would also hepp just for extra numbers), especially the stereotypical middle class WASP type, because when they get angry stuff gets done (notice the change in opiate addiction when it was realized they and upperclass white America also have problems with them?).
"Like flies to wanton boys are we to the gods/police; they kill us for their sport."

PureX

Veteran Member
The media is just another corporate 'money pump'. It's function is to ratchet up any and all forms of emotionalism to get and keep people's attention so their advertisers can advertise to them. No offense, but you all are idiots if you think they have any other agenda. They don't. They simply throw any and every bit of hyperbolic crap they can find, out there, and they keep throwing it until we finally get so sick of it that we stop paying attention. Then they have to go out and dig up (or just invent) some new hyperbolic crap to throw at us, to get us to pay attention to them, again.

It's all about getting us to pay attention ... to the advertising. And they couldn't care less whether the crap they sling at us to get that to happen is true or untrue, or whether it will help society or harm it. All they want are the advertising dollars, as many of those as they can get, and whatever they have to do to get it is "just good business", to them.