• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The robots are coming, to take the jobs

Shaul

Premium Member
Nope. They're not that advanced yet, as they remain reliant on human programming logic.
AI learning in a true sense is still limited.

For example, HR bots don't find the best applicant, but instead the applications best conforming to rules around experience, qualifications, etc.

Fuzzy logic means this isn't as simple or clear as I'm describing here, admittedly.

I worry to some extent that this will make the world more binary and become a soft-enforcement of conformity, even more than it has.
Really?

“For the HR function, AI is most commonly used for talent acquisition. Forty-nine percent of respondents to law firm Littler's 2018 Annual Employer Survey said they use AI and advanced data analytics for recruiting and hiring. But AI isn't limited to talent acquisition. Survey respondents are also using big data to:

• Make strategic and employee management decisions (31 percent).
  • Analyze workplace policies (24 percent).
  • Automate certain tasks that were previously done by an employee (22 percent).”
How Can Artificial Intelligence Work for HR?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Really?

“For the HR function, AI is most commonly used for talent acquisition. Forty-nine percent of respondents to law firm Littler's 2018 Annual Employer Survey said they use AI and advanced data analytics for recruiting and hiring. But AI isn't limited to talent acquisition. Survey respondents are also using big data to:

• Make strategic and employee management decisions (31 percent).
  • Analyze workplace policies (24 percent).
  • Automate certain tasks that were previously done by an employee (22 percent).”
How Can Artificial Intelligence Work for HR?

Yes.
How does what you've said or linked disagree with what I wrote?

If you mean 'A.I.' it would be fair to say common vernacular usage of AI is not the same as computers having the ability to independently learn.
Are you suggesting these HR programs aren't reliant on human programming?
Are you suggesting that they are analyzing people, rather then inputs (resumes, questionnaires, etc)?

Shaul

Premium Member
Yes.
How does what you've said or linked disagree with what I wrote?

If you mean 'A.I.' it would be fair to say common vernacular usage of AI is not the same as computers having the ability to independently learn.
Are you suggesting these HR programs aren't reliant on human programming?
Are you suggesting that they are analyzing people, rather then inputs (resumes, questionnaires, etc)?
Actually, yes, I am suggesting those things. There are AI systems that are now self programming and others that are performing meta analysis (big data) of employees. It is true that they rely on humans for things. But they are now cognitive within their functional areas. They are now capable of passing the Turing test.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Robot Janitors Are Coming to Mop Floors at a Walmart Near You

I have been reading a lot about automation and robots in the workplace recently. For example Martin Ford’s “Rise of the Robots”. Robots and automation are bringing massive changes to the workplaces. Many jobs, both blue and white collars, are going to disappear.
These are the growing pains of progress. Just like the folks who made a living shoeing horses, some positions become irrelevant over time.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, yes, I am suggesting those things. There are AI systems that are now self programming and others that are performing meta analysis (big data) of employees. It is true that they rely on humans for things. But they are now cognitive within their functional areas. They are now capable of passing the Turing test.

I'm happy to be corrected on this, since things do move fast.
However, I work in the global software space, and our offerings include HR products.
This article is somewhat old in tech terms, but it's fairly representative of my understanding here.

https://www.mightyrecruiter.com/blog/will-recruitment-ai-ever-pass-the-turing-test/

However, with sincerity, if you have something concretely contradicting this I'd be most interested.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
These are the growing pains of progress. Just like the folks who made a living shoeing horses, some positions become irrelevant over time.

I think the risk is we assume some become redundant and others replace them, and leave it at that.
There have been times prior, where even though this was true, the implications of the change became extremely focused, and started impacting not only on employment, but how we saw and structured the world.

The industrial revolution is a fairly recent and easy to point to example, though by no means the only one.

With the increasing rate of change through the ages, it is likely that this (the robot revolution?) will force just as drastic a change, but even more rapidly.

We'll see.

Milton Platt

Robot Janitors Are Coming to Mop Floors at a Walmart Near You

I have been reading a lot about automation and robots in the workplace recently. For example Martin Ford’s “Rise of the Robots”. Robots and automation are bringing massive changes to the workplaces. Many jobs, both blue and white collars, are going to disappear.

They have been here for decades. This was said about the beginning of the industrial age. The machines were goingnto take the worker’s jobs. Didn’t happen.

Shaul

Premium Member
They have been here for decades. This was said about the beginning of the industrial age. The machines were goingnto take the worker’s jobs. Didn’t happen.
Or this is a fundamentally different sort of change. Non-intelligent machines of the first and second industrial revolutions did, as you state, cause worker displacement followed by new jobs creation. But that isn’t true for intelligent machines of today. The question is have machines become intelligent enough to replace humans in most jobs. Probably not yet. But that day is coming. And sooner than naysayers think possible. The machines are growing exponentially in capability.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Good news for the sight challenged and aging. Look out shopping malls! Here they come.
Mrs Revolt has been planning on being car free down the road (so to speak).
While I've been thinking of a bigger truck & trailer.
(Sorry, Mr Van, you serve me well, but I'd like more hauling capacity.)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope. They're not that advanced yet, as they remain reliant on human programming logic.
AI learning in a true sense is still limited.

For example, HR bots don't find the best applicant, but instead the applications best conforming to rules around experience, qualifications, etc.

Fuzzy logic means this isn't as simple or clear as I'm describing here, admittedly.

I worry to some extent that this will make the world more binary and become a soft-enforcement of conformity, even more than it has.
Your comment caused me to pause and view a short video about it by a data scientist. They said that there are three main problems with HR algorithms. They assume success can be characterized, assume individuals are solely responsible for their success and they only learn from false positives and false negatives. This she says tends to cause the algorithms to weed out diversity in the workplace. She gives Amazon as her example.

The misinformation age

Shad

Veteran Member

Umm people still shoe horses. My family did it for our herd. Farriers are still a job people do for a living. Look at commercial stables.