• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The robots are coming, to take the jobs

suncowiam

Are you sure this isn’t something new? The automation and robots already are eliminating jobs. As they improve, faster and faster exponentially, there will soon be very few jobs not at risk in elimination. This is a distinct possibility ypthat has never occurred before.

Soon you will have to be elite to retain a job, the best of the best. Robots though will take care of everyone else and create the perfect Utopia.

Where have we seen this? Star Trek.

Anyhows... It's going to be a bumpy first ride but over the long run, robots will make our lives better. People will have to adjust to the new social and economic environments.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course robots are eliminating jobs. They're eliminating the dirty, dangerous, laborious jobs that no one wants.

But the job sector is shifting. While these jobs are eliminated, new jobs in technology are being created at practically the same rate.

Why Robots Will Not Take Over Human Jobs
His concluding line is that workers of the future will "Have to be adaptable." In other words they will have to be entrepreneurs = No jobs. Everything is changing, and jobs are going away. He may as well have said so.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You've all no doubt been waiting for me to bow down to our benevolent robotic overlords. After all, who would not want to replace the current crop of politicians with honest ones who used their brains to craft optimal solutions to any problem.

Of course that will happen only if my input to what constitutes the correct position is used.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Heh, to the best of my knowledge, robots are years away from taking my job.
Suck on that, ya jobless losers! :p

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyhows... It's going to be a bumpy first ride but over the long run, robots will make our lives better. People will have to adjust to the new social and economic environments.
I think so. I think the economy is on its way back to barter. The new currency will be robot labor hours. I will pay you 200 robot labor hours next year in exchange for 125 now.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
At my local Walmart, more than half of the automated check-outs are "out of order" at any given time, and the ones that are functional are prone to error, prompting the intervention of actual employees, who still stand present to monitor the self-check out area, which is often exploited by shoplifters who routinely pull and get away with slight-of-hand shenanigans.

sealchan

Robot Janitors Are Coming to Mop Floors at a Walmart Near You

I have been reading a lot about automation and robots in the workplace recently. For example Martin Ford’s “Rise of the Robots”. Robots and automation are bringing massive changes to the workplaces. Many jobs, both blue and white collars, are going to disappear.

Take it from someone in the IT industry...those jobs will be replaced by call centers supporting product manufacturers who will have to support the IT in all of these devices. And given the need for worldwide call center support, those jobs will be located both in and out of your local nation.

sealchan

At my local Walmart, more than half of the automated check-outs are "out of order" at any given time, and the ones that are functional are prone to error, prompting the intervention of actual employees, who still stand present to monitor the self-check out area, which is often exploited by shoplifters who routinely pull and get away with slight-of-hand shenanigans.

I wonder how the companies that use the self-check-outs have calculated the net cost of increased shoplifting vs fewer salaries...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder if a robot can be programmed to sit in a green
leather (mostly) chair, blather away on the internet
while watching TV, & collecting Social Security?
Live'n the dream!

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
For some reason, I find it funny that folks worry about this. As far as I'm aware, humans still haven't figured out what to do about the global environmental issues facing the current era. With fossil fuels being patently unsustainable, how, exactly, are robots going to be viable going forward in the long term? They're too energy-intensive to manufacture, and as the collapse gets further and further underway, the idea of using them to replace humans will be a humorous memory. Heck, mass production will go away too and we'll be back to actual craftsmanship and artisan work.

Earthling

David Henson
Robot Janitors Are Coming to Mop Floors at a Walmart Near You

I have been reading a lot about automation and robots in the workplace recently. For example Martin Ford’s “Rise of the Robots”. Robots and automation are bringing massive changes to the workplaces. Many jobs, both blue and white collars, are going to disappear.

You mean that if we have the technology to eliminate all jobs or the need for menial tasks performed in a debt based economy we should disallow it?

Jobs should disappear as a thing of the past.

Earthling

David Henson
For some reason, I find it funny that folks worry about this. As far as I'm aware, humans still haven't figured out what to do about the global environmental issues facing the current era. With fossil fuels being patently unsustainable, how, exactly, are robots going to be viable going forward in the long term? They're too energy-intensive to manufacture, and as the collapse gets further and further underway, the idea of using them to replace humans will be a humorous memory. Heck, mass production will go away too and we'll be back to actual craftsmanship and artisan work.

Or we will use science and technology to provide the needs for every man, woman and child on the planet while getting rid of archaic methods that destroy the planet.

The Venus Project, man. The Venus Project.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually robots and automation are already in H.R. Algorithms can already select the best candidates from employment applications. They can also determine which jobs can best be eliminated in the most cost effective way. Also artificial intelligence can learn how a person does their job and make them redundant.

Have a nice day.

Nope. They're not that advanced yet, as they remain reliant on human programming logic.
AI learning in a true sense is still limited.

For example, HR bots don't find the best applicant, but instead the applications best conforming to rules around experience, qualifications, etc.

Fuzzy logic means this isn't as simple or clear as I'm describing here, admittedly.

I worry to some extent that this will make the world more binary and become a soft-enforcement of conformity, even more than it has.

Bob the Unbeliever

Oh, god... robot H.R.

Having had to fight HR over valid sick leave?

I expect the unfeeling, entirely logical robots, would still be about 1000 times more empathetic than the alleged humans who currently work there.

Is there such a thing as negative empathy or anti-empathy?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Send'em to Robot Hell.
They can even be programmed to experience agony!
giphy.gif