• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The rise of mass shootings

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
This discussion is about the possible reasons why mass shootings are happening.

I wonder where it all went wrong?

Back during and before the 1980's. It was common for people to leave their doors and windows unlocked or open. It was common even to have gun racks in pickup trucks with 2-3 guns in them loaded 24 hours per day. I knew as a child not to use them without a parent around.

Mass shootings were uncommon in those days and gun control laws were extremely loose compared to what it is today. So what has happened since then? Gun control has become more strict yet shootings continue to happen. So there must be some other reason why people feel the need to go on shooting sprees.

What is your thoughts on the reason why mass shootings have become an issue in the last 30-40years?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I don't know why people always ask this question. Mass shootings have been happening since I was a kid especially at schools. Kids have been taking guns to school for decades. My theory is that people are taking notice more because it is happening in more affluent places than suburban. As you may know, the stereotype is "well it is in their nature" versus, "this is a nice neighborhood." Apparently Enoch you never lived in the inner city.. I lived in a time where drive by drills were the norm like fire and earthquake drills.

Edit: Let us call it what it is....The affluent white neighborhoods are becoming affected, therefore we have national talks of gun laws. Well, where was this same outcry when little kids were being killed in "Chiraq?" Oh wait it is their nature......I didn't see mothers in other neighborhoods asking for gun laws to change...

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know why people always ask this question. Mass shootings have been happening since I was a kid especially at schools. Kids have been taking guns to school for decades. My theory is that people are taking notice more because it is happening in more affluent places than suburban. As you may know, the stereotype is "well it is in their nature" versus, "this is a nice neighborhood." Apparently Enoch you never lived in the inner city.. I lived in a time where drive by drills were the norm like fire and earthquake drills.
I think there is a difference between shooting somebody and shooting everybody.

Do you think that mass slaughter has been happening in the inner city for a long time?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I think there is a difference between shooting somebody and shooting everybody.

Do you think that mass slaughter has been happening in the inner city for a long time?

Did you read? Yes.

Shall I post articles from L.A times? I grew up in Compton, I know more than anyone here in these boards what I know. More people were cut down during the bloods and crips war.....But alas we forget about that because again it was an inner city problem.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Thanks

That's right about the time drive by and other mass shootings started climbing dramatically.

You may be right. It may just be a product of how information spreads now. A drive by in L.A. hits the news feed instantly and goes world wide within a few minutes now.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did you read? Yes.

Shall I post articles from L.A times? I grew up in Compton, I know more than anyone here in these boards what I know. More people were cut down during the bloods and crips war.....But alas we forget about that because again it was an inner city problem.
Yes, I read your post\ What I mean is that gang members killing other gang members is not the same as someone shooting into a crowd of unsuspecting people. It has occurred to me that if you join a gang you can expect violence for it. Kids going to school should not expect to be shot at.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I as an observer am more frustrated people are so overtly emotional now, as opposed to 1989 in the inner city....Or when people gewtting shot on Facebook live like thiis guy

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Yes, I read your post\ What I mean is that gang members killing other gang members is not the same as someone shooting into a crowd of unsuspecting people. It has occurred to me that if you join a gang you can expect violence for it. Kids going to school should not expect to be shot at.

You don't think innocent kids were killed? That is how I was shot at...A gang member targeting a neighbor wearing red and I was but 9 years old....You're right kids going to school shouldn't expect to get shot but that was something that we expected.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Another one.....

I post these videos because it didn't take a group of kids being killed for us to be worried, it should take an American minding his business and being shot and killed for us to question gun laws. It should not take where we live, what our skin color is, or how much money we make for us to be concerned. I encourage people to listen to the screams of the people screaming in this video...The man shot died.....His last experience on this earth were these voices screaming "tony."

socharlie

This discussion is about the possible reasons why mass shootings are happening.

I wonder where it all went wrong?

Back during and before the 1980's. It was common for people to leave their doors and windows unlocked or open. It was common even to have gun racks in pickup trucks with 2-3 guns in them loaded 24 hours per day. I knew as a child not to use them without a parent around.

Mass shootings were uncommon in those days and gun control laws were extremely loose compared to what it is today. So what has happened since then? Gun control has become more strict yet shootings continue to happen. So there must be some other reason why people feel the need to go on shooting sprees.

What is your thoughts on the reason why mass shootings have become an issue in the last 30-40years?
Operation Gladio - Wikipedia
it never stopped

dfnj

Math illiteracy. 30-40 years ago much worse was happening but it never made the news. Now we have a 24-hour news cycle. There are 321 million people living in this country and 365 days per year. The number of days per year is not increasing. But the number of heinous crimes is rising as a percentage of 365 per year! So population rising gives an illusion things are much worse than they actually are. We need to be very careful how we pick measurements for deciding public policy.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

True. But there are more instances where gangs target someone they suspect are in a gang but mostly target innocent people.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
The rise of the 24 hour news cycle has certainly only made these incidents more visible, and increased visibility leads to copy cats. Not saying that's the whole explanation, but I believe the style and amount of reporting has been a contributing factor.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

Edit: Let us call it what it is....The affluent white neighborhoods are becoming affected, therefore we have national talks of gun laws. Well, where was this same outcry when little kids were being killed in "Chiraq?" Oh wait it is their nature......I didn't see mothers in other neighborhoods asking for gun laws to change...
Hopefully we can get something productive out of this:
What do you believe are the three biggest factors in the disproportionate amount of black on black murders whether firearms are involved or not?

Make a three line poem about what you saw