• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The right to freedom of speech: What it is and isn't

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I came across this article by Ben Shapiro (I know...) entitled "America's silent majority must fight liberals killing freedom of speech." Granted, it's Ben Shapiro so he may be intentionally misleading people since I'm sure he's aware of basic Constitutional law, but he exploits a common misconception in this piece.

In fact, the right to freedom of speech in the US, granted by the First Amendment, prohibits the government from imposing penalties on most forms of speech, whether political, religious, or otherwise. The government, and the government alone, cannot fine, jail, deny services, discriminate against, or otherwise punish people in the US for expressing their viewpoint unless that speech imposes a significant risk of imminent harm, or falls into a few other rare exceptions.

Unlike what that article suggests:

1. People not liking you because they think you're a horrible person based on what you've said, does not violate your freedom of speech.
2. Your boss warning you not to say offensive things because it will hurt the company's reputation does not violate your freedom of speech.
3. People boycotting you because they think you're horrible and don't want to give you their money does not violate your freedom of speech.
4. People disagreeing with you and saying critical things about your opinions, beliefs, or behavior does not violate your freedom of speech.
5. Corporations canceling your account or pulling your ads has nothing to do with your right of freedom of speech. If anything, the corporation's freedom of speech allows it to regulate the content of its platform and associations, free of government interference.

Please take a moment to understand this, if you weren't aware.

The old adage goes, "When you've been living with privilege, equality feels like oppression." A lot of US conservatives are coming to realize that they've effectively lost the culture war. A growing US majority no longer agrees with their views, and in fact finds their views immoral and harmful. This may be jarring to someone who is used to getting their way and having society agree with them, but this phenomenon is entirely unrelated to the right of freedom of speech.

There is no legally actionable harm. There is no redress owed to you. It's just that lots of people think you're a jerk and don't like you. Ultimately, you can either get used to this reaction or stop being a jerk, but no one is violating your rights.
I'm pretty sure you misunderstood what Ben was saying.

Earthtank

in my opinion, freedom of speech literally means say whatever the hell you want no matter but, that does NOT mean you are free from consequence. If I want to go around hurling out curse words to everybody I see, I can do so but, I better be ready for a few fights and a few booty whoopings

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hogwash. Conservatives are doing great in the US.
They lost the battle against the reproductive rights of women and their right to vote.
They lost the battle against racial equality and desegregation.
They lost the battle against LGBT rights and gay marriage.
They lost the battle against separation of church and state.
They're losing the battle against the legalization of cannabis.
Science and history haven't been on their side.
Their orange game show host was recently tossed back into the dumpster fire from whence he came by The American People.

So, no. Not great at all, really.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
They lost the battle against the reproductive rights of women and their right to vote.
They lost the battle against racial equality and desegregation.
They lost the battle against LGBT rights and gay marriage.
They lost the battle against separation of church and state.
They're losing the battle against the legalization of cannabis.
Science and history haven't been on their side.
Their orange game show host was recently tossed back into the dumpster fire from whence he came by The American People.

So, no. Not great at all, really.
Southern democrats during that era were conservative, not progressive.
Do you think those who display the confederate flag, defend confederate monuments, join groups like the klan, etc. are liberals?
Depends on your definition of liberal.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Take it up with the staff here. You made such an agreement to use this place, afterall.
No. There is no agreement. I never agreed. I just signed up and accepted the dictates if I want to play ball here.

That's not agreeing because it's a strictly one sided arrangement.

I'd rather term it as as an acknowledgement. Likened to an arranged marriage. Only one is in charge. ;0]

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
This a 'Merica, where freedom means we get to do and say whatever we want and then ridicule anyone who doesn't like it. Now THAT'S freedom of speech, goddamit!
Unless, of course, you fall into one of the 'undesirable' categories - say, LGBTQ people, or sex workers, or radical leftists.

PureX

Veteran Member
in my opinion, freedom of speech literally means say whatever the hell you want no matter but, that does NOT mean you are free from consequence. If I want to go around hurling out curse words to everybody I see, I can do so but, I better be ready for a few fights and a few booty whoopings
Sorry, but your opinion is a bit naive. Your right to speak freely is limited by the equal rights of everyone else not to be harmed or harassed by your actions, including your speech.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I stopped reading when I noticed a lie in the headline. "Silent majority"

Last edited: