• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right to Bear Arms

Do you own a gun?

• Yes, I own a gun and have used it in self defence.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Yes, I own a gun but have not needed it to defend myself.

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • No, I do not own a gun.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I have first hand knowledge of a fatal shooting incident.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Baydwin

Americans only to vote in the poll please!!!

I've put this in the debates section, just in case it becomes one.

I'm just after some statistics really, but of a more personal nature than you get from national surveys.

The fourth option is for all people to answer, not just gun owners. "Incident" could be anything except murder, so accidents, suicides, manslaughter in self-defence etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I do not own a gun. However the only reason for this is that I live in government housing, and I'm not allowed to.

Ironic, isn't it, how easily government agencies get away with scrapping the Constitutional rights of those under their control....

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I own several guns, but I haven't fired any of them in over 15 years.

I used to shoot competitively, but, like golf, I rarely even think about it any more.

dust1n

Zindīq
Without a gun, my safety is at the mercy or skill of others.

All the time? Why does this make you not free? A lack of civil liberties is what makes you not free.

Of course, I agree that every citizen should own a gun; if not for simple rule of revolting at the first sign of tyranny (we are a many a signs due), including any weapon that their government owns.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.Thomas Jefferson
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
This is advice from a guy who charted how to operate it's government to make it work.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
How does that make you less free?

My families basic right to life could be dependant on the actions or inaction's of others. Being able to defend your life is the most basic freedom.

In light of the fact that my government forced me to go to a foreign country and put an automatic rife in my hands at the age of 19, carrying a gun is very natural to me.

People always assume that the police will defend you. In many situations, by the time they get to a location, the damage is already done.

Mikael

ok, so I won´t poll...

But seriously, US-citicens (america is a continent, right?), guns=freedom? An embarressment to rational thought. It´s one of the reasons I would never want to go to the US.

dust1n

Zindīq
ok, so I won´t poll...

But seriously, US-citicens (america is a continent, right?), guns=freedom? An embarressment to rational thought. It´s one of the reasons I would never want to go to the US.

Like I told him; lack of freedom is a lack of civics education or sway, guns are just one way to acquire freedom if you don't have it.

Baydwin

My families basic right to life could be dependant on the actions or inaction's of others. Being able to defend your life is the most basic freedom.
So if you only have a knife to defend against a burglar armed with a gun you aren't free?

What if you have a handgun and suffer a home invasion by men armed with fully automatic machine guns? Who has the greatest freedom quotient?

Mikael

Well, here only hunters and sportspeople have firearms on special licence. Noone else. And we are no less free. We just have a lower risk of being shot (for any reason).

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
So if you only have a knife to defend against a burglar armed with a gun you aren't free?
Free, but at a great disadvantage.

What if you have a handgun and suffer a home invasion by men armed with fully automatic machine guns? Who has the greatest freedom quotient?
Not a likely scenario. However, even if an intruder were better armed, they would still be playing on the homeowner's turf. The element of surprise could take the disadvantage of full auto weapons away.

So, I'm not free?
None of us is truly free. The real advantage of private firearm ownership is this: Because you can own a gun, you might own a gun. Just because some Americans may choose not to own a gun does not tell an intruder or government agency who does or doesn't own a gun and, if they do, what type of gun. It is this that creates the theory that my fight to keep and bear arms protects those that choose not to.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Well, here only hunters and sportspeople have firearms on special licence. Noone else. And we are no less free. We just have a lower risk of being shot (for any reason).
How do you figure you have less chance of being shot? As long as any firearm exists, one may be shot. Outlawing firearms takes forearms away from responsible citizens, thus making criminals the only ones that own them. Giving up the right to bear arms is what turns people into sheeple.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Like I told him; lack of freedom is a lack of civics education or sway, guns are just one way to acquire freedom if you don't have it.

Dust1n, you can't be free if you are dead. Defending your life is the very core of freedom.