• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Riddle of Epicurus

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]The Riddle of Epicurus

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

[/size][/font]
[size=-1]( And when he is the author of incomparable evil and misery? [Deut. 32.8] )[/size]

SoulTYPE

Deut, :) I believe that he is willing. And able to prevent evil to a certain degree and extent. However, he cannot prevent ALL evil, so because he is able to prevent SOME, he is still able to prevent evil. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No-one beats Deut for thought-provoking posts.

Yesterday I spent several hours in Massimo Pigliucci's website after clicking on one of Deut's links.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Surely, to those who believe in a deity that created all that there is, he would have been unlikely to create something he would be unable to control?

Therefore he ought to be omnipotent

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well Soul, if he did, it means he used a power that could not have been available to him at the time of creating Satan ?

How can he have created something better than himself?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
SoulTYPE01 said:
I did not say Satan was better than God Mich..
I didn't say that; I said you were proposing that Satan could have more power than God; 'better than' in a judgemental measure; 'strength' is one of Pure energy

Fluffy

A fool
God is not omnipotent. He is still controlled by certain elements of the reality we live in. For instance, although the Bible does not state this, it makes plenty of sense to accept that he cannot do something which goes against the laws of logic (like create a triangle with 4 sides for example) since this helps to explain some of the actions which he takes, especially in the OT.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
SoulTYPE01 said:
WTF you going on about, this is a debate (at least I think this is what Deut intended) not a battle. I don't need LK in here lol. And if you were going to comment on my joke, why quote the whole post? Jokes seem pointless here, so I won't make them. I am going to go back on topic. I suggest you do the same.
Agreed; you still haven't satisfactorilly answered how any Deity could have got himself in the position of having created something/one more powerful than himself!

Logic rukes O.K!:jiggy:

SoulTYPE

michel said:
Agreed; you still haven't satisfactorilly answered how any Deity could have got himself in the position of having created something/one more powerful than himself!

Logic rukes O.K!:jiggy:
But we are talking about God here.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
God is not omnipotent. He is still controlled by certain elements of the reality we live in. For instance, although the Bible does not state this, it makes plenty of sense to accept that he cannot do something which goes against the laws of logic (like create a triangle with 4 sides for example) since this helps to explain some of the actions which he takes, especially in the OT.
But surely, the logic of which you talk is that same logic that God himself created; he need not be in a position of of doing something against his own logic; he could have designed logic to dictate that a triangle has 4 sides. Where do you go to next?

Fluffy

A fool
Therefore he ought to be omnipotent
How can he have created something better than himself?
This is contradictory michel. Logic only rules when it doesnt contain holes. Omnipotence implies the ability to do anything. Therefore you must forget all things which you consider to be impossible since this implies that EVERYTHING is possible for a being who is omnipotent.

SoulTYPE

Maize said:
Back on topic, fellas.
Maybe you will listen to her instead of me. I suggested that.

So, on my first reply to this thread, I can see where the logic in the Epicure is valid. It is a very ingenious riddle and thank Deut 32 for posting it for it has given us sme good discussion..

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
This is contradictory michel. Logic only rules when it doesnt contain holes. Omnipotence implies the ability to do anything. Therefore you must forget all things which you consider to be impossible since this implies that EVERYTHING is possible for a being who is omnipotent.
I'm sorry, I promise I'm not rying to be awkward, but how do you relate your answer with the definition of omnipotence?- If I'm missing the point, tell me.
Omnipotence (literally, "all power") is the power to do absolutely anything. This trait is usually attributed only to God. Theists hold that examples of God's omnipotence include Creation and miracles