• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The return of Jesus, the claimants, and the Quran. Is it really real?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Taking a strict Quranic approach to the issue of the return of Jesus, is it truly spoken of as a prophecy in the Quran? I know that the return of Jesus is a strong belief in many faiths, and even Islam. The return of Jesus is the mark of the future, eschatology, and the so called unification and declaration of the Islamic faith where the world is supposed to get back to the core doctrine of monotheism because Jesus will come and preach it clearing all doubts.

I know that there are many ahadith about this including the advent of the Dajjal but there are many many contradictory aspects to consider in them. But this thread is about the Quran. IF the return of Jesus is such a phenomenal phenomena, why is the Quran so silent about it? So many people have claimed to have been the man and some big religions have been born based on that. Yet, you would notice that for the doctrine they would note ahadith, and some newer traditions as "explicit statements" but when they try quoting the Quran it is always "allusions" and never explicit statements.

Do you really, logically think that if there is a return the so called God would leave it out of his explicit statements? Will not that be one of the most important aspects of the Quran?

What are the verses that you think are explicit statements of the return of Jesus in the Quran?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Taking a strict Quranic approach to the issue of the return of Jesus, is it truly spoken of as a prophecy in the Quran? I know that the return of Jesus is a strong belief in many faiths, and even Islam. The return of Jesus is the mark of the future, eschatology, and the so called unification and declaration of the Islamic faith where the world is supposed to get back to the core doctrine of monotheism because Jesus will come and preach it clearing all doubts.

I know that there are many ahadith about this including the advent of the Dajjal but there are many many contradictory aspects to consider in them. But this thread is about the Quran. IF the return of Jesus is such a phenomenal phenomena, why is the Quran so silent about it? So many people have claimed to have been the man and some big religions have been born based on that. Yet, you would notice that for the doctrine they would note ahadith, and some newer traditions as "explicit statements" but when they try quoting the Quran it is always "allusions" and never explicit statements.

Do you really, logically think that if there is a return the so called God would leave it out of his explicit statements? Will not that be one of the most important aspects of the Quran?

What are the verses that you think are explicit statements of the return of Jesus in the Quran?

I’m going to make a strong statement that you will disagree with and may even find offensive. I state it as my opinion and have no intent to offend. It is a matter we have discussed before and we will probably need to agree to disagree.

The Return of Christ is a key theme of the Christian Bible. It is well covered in this text. Muhammad mentions Jesus, Moses, the Gospel and Torah many times throughout the Quran. He intended for His followers to accept Jesus, Moses, the Gospel and Torah. Therefore a Muslim should turn to the Quran ‘and’ the Holy Scriptures of the Jews and Christians. Most Muslims don’t do this in my experience. We’ve discussed the reasons for this.

End times eschatology in regards the Return of Christ is complex as it requires a solid understanding of Christian and Jewish scriptures, theology and history. Most Muslims that I’ve talked to are unwilling or unable to have that discussion. That’s unfortunate because other than affirming the legitimacy of the Jewish and Christian scriptures, the Quran is largely silent on the matter. I’m not too familiar with the Hadiths but wouldn’t see either the Hadiths or Quran as a substitute for the Jewish and Christian scriptures that were well known during Muhammad’s time and clearly intended as a foundation to understand the Quran, not the Quran should replace the Tanakh and NT.

InvestigateTruth

The belief in return of Christ originated from Christian Bible, where also, belief in Jesus as Messiah, the Sonship, the redemption through death of Jesus with His crucifixion comes from.

Now, the Quran makes a lot of comment about Christians beliefs. For example it says God does not have a Son. But regarding return of Christ, the Quran is silent.

Silent means agreement and consent!!!

Wikipedia:Silence and consensus - Wikipedia

firedragon

Veteran Member
I’m going to make a strong statement that you will disagree with and may even find offensive. I state it as my opinion and have no intent to offend. It is a matter we have discussed before and we will probably need to agree to disagree.

The Return of Christ is a key theme of the Christian Bible. It is well covered in this text. Muhammad mentions Jesus, Moses, the Gospel and Torah many times throughout the Quran. He intended for His followers to accept Jesus, Moses, the Gospel and Torah. Therefore a Muslim should turn to the Quran ‘and’ the Holy Scriptures of the Jews and Christians. Most Muslims don’t do this in my experience. We’ve discussed the reasons for this.

End times eschatology in regards the Return of Christ is complex as it requires a solid understanding of Christian and Jewish scriptures, theology and history. Most Muslims that I’ve talked to are unwilling or unable to have that discussion. That’s unfortunate because other than affirming the legitimacy of the Jewish and Christian scriptures, the Quran is largely silent on the matter. I’m not too familiar with the Hadiths but wouldn’t see either the Hadiths or Quran as a substitute for the Jewish and Christian scriptures that were well known during Muhammad’s time and clearly intended as a foundation to understand the Quran, not the Quran should replace the Tanakh and NT.

Good topic for another day. Lets open a thread about the Quran and its quotes about Torah, Gospel etc. But that's irrelevant to this thread because this is about the Quran and "that" says about the topic at hand.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member

I am not Muslim, obviously, myself but I have read the Qur'an and much of the Surah (in English translation, both Sunni and Shia Hadith), so I'm what one might call an interested third party observer.

The Qur'an states that Jesus did not "die" but was spared from his persecutors (i.e. the Jewish priestly caste and the Roman occupying forces under prefect Pontius Pilate) and ascended to be with Allah in paradise - or at least, strongly implies as such.

There are a number of ways that one might interpret the underlying theology of this belief of the prophet Muhammad. The most logical, in terms of historicity, is that Muhammad was what Christians would call Adoptionist or Docetic - that is, he believed that the Spirit of God had in-dwelled Jesus at his birth or baptism, and that this divine "power" ascended with his spirit to return to God on high, "ascension" even as his body died on the cross. This is the kind of theology attested by early first century Christian sects like the Cerinthians and the Ebionites. Some scholars argue that the Gospel of Mark has adoptionist overtones.

Alternately, Muhammad may have believed that Jesus's earthly body was a mirage and that he'd been a divine spirit from God merely appearing in a human form that only seemed to experience death on the cross of calvary but never actually did, because you cannot "kill" an indestructible and imperishable spirit. This kind of belief was attested in texts like the second century Gospel of Peter and amongst Gnostic sects like the Sethian Christians. That's Docetism.

Traditional Islamic tradition, on the other hand, would seem to have interpreted the Qur'anic arguments in a most ahistorical fashion - construing the somewhat bizarre and patently un-quranic notion that Jesus was replaced by Judas on the cross and bodily ascended without undergoing death. This is not only quite beyond what the text of the Qur'an appears to be implying but it also denies the most historically certain fact about Jesus, that he suffered death by crucifixion under Pontius Pilate.

It is understandable that if one interprets the Qur'an in this second sense, then the question naturally emerges: when will Jesus experience bodily death like every other human being? He cannot exist forever in Islamic paradise - Jannah - as the only being that has never undergone death prior to Judgment Day and the general resurrection. Moreover, the Qur'an also states in surah 43:61 "And his [Jesus's] 'second' coming is truly a sign for the Hour. So have no doubt about it, and follow me. This is the Straight Path". This is traditionally understood as referring to the 'second' advent of Jesus from Jannah, to complete his mission and die a bodily death, I believe (rather than his first coming, though I cannot read the original Arabic myself to be sure what best reflects its intended meaning).

I can thus understand, I think quite clearly, why a very developed eschatology surrounding Jesus's second coming as the the sign of the final triumph of Islam seems to have developed amongst early Muslim hadith chroniclers and theologians.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am not Muslim, obviously, myself but I have read the Qur'an and much of the Surah (in English translation, both Sunni and Shia Hadith), so I'm what one might call an interested third party observer.

I respect that.

The Qur'an states that Jesus did not "die" but was spared from his persecutors (i.e. the Jewish priestly caste and the Roman occupying forces under prefect Pontius Pilate) and ascended to be with Allah in paradise.

Not really Vouthon. The Quran does not say that.

There are a number of ways that one might interpret the underlying theology of this belief of the prophet Muhammad. The most logical, in terms of historicity, is that Muhammad was what Christians would call Adoptionist or Docetic - that is, he believed that the Spirit of God had in-dwelled Jesus at his birth or baptism, and that this divine "power" ascended with his spirit to return to God on high, "ascension" even as his body died on the cross. This is the kind of theology attested by early first century Christian sects like the Cerinthians and the Ebionites. Some scholars argue that the Gospel of Mark has adoptionist overtones.

Alternately, Muhammad may have believed that Jesus's earthly body was a mirage and that he'd been a divine spirit from God merely appearing in a human form that only seemed to experience death on the cross of calvary but never actually did, because you cannot "kill" an indestructible and imperishable spirit. This kind of belief was attested in texts like the second century Gospel of Peter and the Carpocratian Christians.

Interesting and tempting, but this would derail the thread.

Traditional Islamic theology interpreted the Qur'anic arguments in a most ahistorical fashion - construing the somewhat bizarre and patently un-quranic notion that Jesus was replaced by Judas on the cross and bodily ascended without undergoing death. This is not only quite beyond what the text of the Qur'an appears to be implying but it also denies the most historical certain fact about Jesus, that he suffered death by crucifixion under Pontius Pilate.

You are referring to some theologians, but all. Thus its not really traditional, rather modern, and some peoples opinion. And about historical facts etc, it is for another topic. Lets see if another thread could be opened to discuss that.

It is understandable that if one interprets the Qur'an in this second sense, then the question emerges: when will Jesus experience bodily death like every other human being? He cannot exist forever in Islamic paradise - Jannah - as the only being that has never undergone death. Moreover, the Qur'an also states in surah 43:61 "And his [Jesus'd] 'second' coming is truly a sign for the Hour. So have no doubt about it, and follow me. This is the Straight Path". This is traditionally understood as referring to the 'second' advent of Jesus from Jannah, to complete his mission and die a bodily death.

In this translation of 43:61, who added "Jesus" within brackets?

Anyway, I must tell you that this verse does not have anything to do with anyones second coming. That is interpolation based on a preexisting belief someone has entered into it. Its not text, its interpolation. Its not a translation, its an interpolation. Do you understand? A translation is when you just translate the words of the text, but when you enter things that never existed in the text, its interpolation.

And he was a lesson for the Hour. So have no doubt about it...... is the translation

Wainnahoo lailmun lilsaathi (saathan meaning hour) Thats it. Doesnt say anything about a second coming.

And when you say "traditionally" which tradition are you referring to? Is it a methodology of the mufassirin you are referring to or a Quran bi Quran type of tradition? Please do elaborate on it.

Thanks a lot.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
And he was a lesson for the Hour. So have no doubt about it...... is the translation

The crux underpinning the above translation - or transliteration, as may be more accurate based upon your actual reading of the Arabic - seems to be over what one understands by "the Hour".

Surah Al-A'raf(الأعراف) 7:187 They ask you about the Hour (i.e. the Doomsday), “When is it due to happen?”

If Jesus is a lesson for "Doomsday" or the Last Days, then it's understandable that wedded to an interpretation that has him not undergoing actual bodily death on the cross but ascending to be with God (body and soul), that a belief in his Second Coming would emerge in early Islam - just as it did in early Christianity.

Two verses prior we had this: He was only a servant We showed favour to, and made as an example for the Children of Israel.

And the verse directly before that: They exclaimed, “Which is better: our gods or Jesus?” They cite him only to argue. In fact, they are a people prone to dispute.

So, Jesus seems to have been the "focus" of the argument in these ayats and is arguably the sign of the "Hour".

I'm not saying one need interpret this as a literal bodily Second Coming of Christ - in fact, I think Muhammad held to an adoptionist or Docetic view of Jesus so I don't myself believe this to be accurate exegesis - but mainstream Islam has appeared to have taken this interpretation as normative.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
The crux underpinning the above translation - or transliteration, as may be more accurate based upon your actual reading if the Arabic - seems to be over what one understands by "the Hour".

Surah Al-A'raf(الأعراف) 7:187 They ask you about the Hour (i.e. the Doomsday), “When is it due to happen?”

If Jesus is a lesson for "Doomsday" or the Last Days, then it's understandable that wedded to an interpretation that has him not undergoing actual bodily death on the cross but ascending to be with God (body and soul), that a belief in his Second Coming would emerge in early Islam - just as it did in early Christianity.

Thats why I said that there are no explicit verses, thus the whole point to the OP. You have to do a lot of hard work and a lot of extra Quranic associations to make it work in order to create a second coming of Jesus. This is the most important phenomena of the eschatology, thus it should be in bold simplicity in the Quran, if so, while maybe it's not.

InvestigateTruth

In that case, a book of blank pages would be of utmost agreement.
Irrelevant reasoning my friend.
If the idea of return of Christ was false, God in Quran would have said so, in the same way that Quran says Jesus is not son of God. Allah in Quran wanted to guide everyone, so, if what Christians believed was false He would have said so. Moreover, many Muslim believe in return of Jesus as it is also said in Hadithes.
If this idea was false, Allah would have said that in Quran, so the Muslims also don't have a false belief as Christians do.

I hope you understand.

Just a question for you. In your understanding According to Quran, what happened to Jesus?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This can be considered;

"And there is none of the People of the Book but will believe in him before his death, and on the Day of Judgment, he will be a witness against them." (Quran 4:159)

The day of Judgement is Biblical and referenced in this Quran verse. To me this is saying Muslims will not believe in the returned Christ and that Christ would be a witness against the Muslims.

This has happened, this is that 'Day of Judgement'.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Given what is given in the Bible, these are applicable.

"This is a Mercy from my Lord, but when the Promise of my Lord comes, He shall level it to the ground. And the Promise of my Lord is ever true. And on that day, we shall leave some of them to surge like waves on one another..." (Quran 18:98-99)

"When the Gog and Magog swoop down from every ridge, and the true Promise draws near, you will see the disbelievers, their eyes staring fixedly, in horror; They will say, ‘woe to us; indeed were heedless of this – and we were wrongdoers.’" (Quran 21:96-97)

I see this as a future warning as the Covenant is that God will never leave us alone without guidance. God will always send the Messengers.

Behold! God took the Covenant of the prophets, saying: "I have given you the Book and Wisdom; then will come a messenger to you confirming what is with you, so believe in him and render him help." God said: "Do you agree, and take this Covenant as binding upon you?" They said: "We agree." He said: "Then bear witness! And I am with you among the witnesses." (Quran 3:81)

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
In regards Surah 43:61, the renowned Islamic scholar Yusuf Ali has rendered the following translation, and I’ve included surrounding verses 57-64 for context:

When (Jesus) the son of Mary is held up as an example behold thy people raise a clamor there at (in ridicule)!

And they say, “ Are Our gods best, or he ? ” This they set forth To thee, only by way Of disputation : yea, they Are a contentious people.

He was no more than A servant : We granted Our favour to him, And We made him An example to the Children Of Israel.

And if it were Our Will, We could make angels From amongst you, succeeding Each other on the earth.

And (Jesus) shall be A Sign (for the coming Of) the Hour (of Judgment) : Therefore have no doubt About the (Hour), but Follow ye Me : this Is a Straight Way.

Let not the Evil One Hinder you : for he is To you an enemy avowed.

When Jesus came With Clear Signs, he said : “ Now have I come To you with Wisdom, And in order to make Clear to you some Of the (points) on which Ye dispute : therefore fear God And obey me.

"For Allah; He is my Lord and your Lord: so worship ye Him: this is a Straight Way."

Sūra 43: Zukhruf, or Gold Adornments - The Holy Quran Translation by A. Yusuf Ali

So given the context it appears the verse is clearly referring to Jesus. Jesus is explicitly mentioned in verse 63 and the Son of Mary in verse 57 is of course Jesus. So verse 61 is almost certainly referring to Jesus and mentions Him as a future sign.

For examples of commentaries on 43:61:

(And lo! Verily) in the coming of Jesus the son of Mary (there is knowledge of the Hour) there is an indication of the coming of the Hour; it is also said that this means: his coming is a sign of the advent of the Hour. (So doubt ye not concerning it) so have no doubt in the coming of the Hour, (but follow Me) by professing Allah's divine Oneness. (This) profession of divine Oneness (is the right path) an established religion with which Allah is pleased: i.e. the religion of Islam.

And indeed he, that is, Jesus, is a portent of the Hour — [the arrival of] it is known by the sending down of him — so do not doubt it (tamtarunna: the indicative nūn has been omitted for apocopation together with the wāw of the [third] person [plural] on account of two unvowelled consonants coming together) but, say to them: ‘Follow me, in the affirmation of [God’s] Oneness. This, to which I command you, is a straight path’.

Etc

QuranX.com The most complete Quran / Hadith / Tafsir collection available!

So perhaps the Quran is more explicit about the Return of Jesus than we had originally thought?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Irrelevant reasoning my friend.
If the idea of return of Christ was false, God in Quran would have said so, in the same way that Quran says Jesus is not son of God. Allah in Quran wanted to guide everyone, so, if what Christians believed was false He would have said so. Moreover, many Muslim believe in return of Jesus as it is also said in Hadithes.
If this idea was false, Allah would have said that in Quran, so the Muslims also don't have a false belief as Christians do.

I hope you understand.

Just a question for you. In your understanding According to Quran, what happened to Jesus?

See, when a book doesnt say something about something, that does not mean that something that it doesnt talk about is actual fact. That is absolutely fallacious logic. The Quran doesnt talk about the existence of dragons, that doesnt mean dragons are true. Same case with gremlins and superman (clark Kent).

firedragon

Veteran Member
Given what is given in the Bible, these are applicable.

"This is a Mercy from my Lord, but when the Promise of my Lord comes, He shall level it to the ground. And the Promise of my Lord is ever true. And on that day, we shall leave some of them to surge like waves on one another..." (Quran 18:98-99)

"When the Gog and Magog swoop down from every ridge, and the true Promise draws near, you will see the disbelievers, their eyes staring fixedly, in horror; They will say, ‘woe to us; indeed were heedless of this – and we were wrongdoers.’" (Quran 21:96-97)

I see this as a future warning as the Covenant is that God will never leave us alone without guidance. God will always send the Messengers.

Behold! God took the Covenant of the prophets, saying: "I have given you the Book and Wisdom; then will come a messenger to you confirming what is with you, so believe in him and render him help." God said: "Do you agree, and take this Covenant as binding upon you?" They said: "We agree." He said: "Then bear witness! And I am with you among the witnesses." (Quran 3:81)

Regards Tony

The topic is about the second coming of Jesus.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am sorry but I have to plead ignorance when it comes to what is stated in the Qur'an because I have not read it.
That is kind of a shameful thing for a Baha'i to say, but you don't know my present and past life.... :(

Anyhow, I will defer to the other Baha'is regarding what is in the Qur'an about the return of Jesus...
As far as logic is concerned, I see no reason why there would be anything explicit in the Qur'an about the return of Jesus, since the return of Christ is amply covered in the Bible.
However, as I was writing this post, I just thought of why there are no explicit statements of the return of Jesus in the Quran. It is for the same reason that there are no explicit statements of the return of Jesus in the Bible. :)

In short, the same man Jesus never promised to return to earth, and in fact Jesus said that His work was finished here and He was no more in the world. (John 14:19, John 17:4, John 17:11, John 19:30, John 18:36)

There is not one single verse in the New Testament wherein Jesus said He would return to earth, not one.
If Jesus was planning to return, why wouldn't there be even one verse where He says He is going to return?
Obviously this means that all references to the return of Christ and the end times Messiah are referring to another man.
Whether that man was Baha'u'llah or not is up for grabs. ;)

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In regards Surah 43:61, the renowned Islamic scholar Yusuf Ali has rendered the following translation, and I’ve included surrounding verses 57-64 for context:

When (Jesus) the son of Mary is held up as an example behold thy people raise a clamor there at (in ridicule)!

And they say, “ Are Our gods best, or he ? ” This they set forth To thee, only by way Of disputation : yea, they Are a contentious people.

He was no more than A servant : We granted Our favour to him, And We made him An example to the Children Of Israel.

And if it were Our Will, We could make angels From amongst you, succeeding Each other on the earth.

And (Jesus) shall be A Sign (for the coming Of) the Hour (of Judgment) : Therefore have no doubt About the (Hour), but Follow ye Me : this Is a Straight Way.

Let not the Evil One Hinder you : for he is To you an enemy avowed.

When Jesus came With Clear Signs, he said : “ Now have I come To you with Wisdom, And in order to make Clear to you some Of the (points) on which Ye dispute : therefore fear God And obey me.

"For Allah; He is my Lord and your Lord: so worship ye Him: this is a Straight Way."

Sūra 43: Zukhruf, or Gold Adornments - The Holy Quran Translation by A. Yusuf Ali

So given the context it appears the verse is clearly referring to Jesus. Jesus is explicitly mentioned in verse 63 and the Son of Mary in verse 57 is of course Jesus. So verse 61 is almost certainly referring to Jesus and mentions Him as a future sign.

For examples of commentaries on 43:61:

(And lo! Verily) in the coming of Jesus the son of Mary (there is knowledge of the Hour) there is an indication of the coming of the Hour; it is also said that this means: his coming is a sign of the advent of the Hour. (So doubt ye not concerning it) so have no doubt in the coming of the Hour, (but follow Me) by professing Allah's divine Oneness. (This) profession of divine Oneness (is the right path) an established religion with which Allah is pleased: i.e. the religion of Islam.

And indeed he, that is, Jesus, is a portent of the Hour — [the arrival of] it is known by the sending down of him — so do not doubt it (tamtarunna: the indicative nūn has been omitted for apocopation together with the wāw of the [third] person [plural] on account of two unvowelled consonants coming together) but, say to them: ‘Follow me, in the affirmation of [God’s] Oneness. This, to which I command you, is a straight path’.

Etc

So perhaps the Quran is more explicit about the Return of Jesus than we had originally thought?

That would mean we may have to admit that the Hadith do show us that many did understand that the Quran did speak of it. ;)

Regards Tony

firedragon

Veteran Member

Not really. There is no indication it is a "future sign". It is an interpretation with preconceived notions because there is nothing else in the Quran that speaks about his second coming.

Again, there is nothing explicit. If it was such an important event, it would have.

Etc

If you want to look at traditions and post Quranic theological ideas of various scholars, of course you will pick what suits you. But why not pick someone like Imam Malik my friend? I mean, is there any one who had a school of thought before him?

This is why the topic is on the Quran. Thus rather than appealing to authority of those who had their faith already built in the second coming of Jesus, why not interpret the text as it is?

The text just says that he was a sign, not that it is going to be a second coming that's gonna happen in the future.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You asked for verses that we see support the return of Christ. I see in those verses a promise that would be so.

To understand those verses, one must also refer to the Bible.

Regards Tony

But those verses you gave was not about the second coming of Jesus. Thats why I pointed to the topic at hand.