• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The resurrection: what is your religion's viewpoint?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am of Hindu thinking. The great saints and incarnations of our tradition have vast numbers of paranormal events surrounding them. I believe paranormal events and even Resurrection involving Jesus are likely.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Resurrection is not an idea that applies within the context of my religion, so I suppose my thoughts are that I have none.

To be honest, when I think resurrection, I think of the spell in dungeons and dragons or I think of zombies. :skull:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Resurrection is not an idea that applies within the context of my religion, so I suppose my thoughts are that I have none.

To be honest, when I think resurrection, I think of the spell in dungeons and dragons or I think of zombies. :skull:

Pretty much the same here.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm with Q. It's way outside of my religious paradigm. It I did meditate on it, I imagine I'd discover it was quite a stretch, and that someone had a vivid imagination. But that's really a moot point, as it doesn't affect me one way or another.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Either resurrection or direct judgment, what's the difference. So, for me it's either or, not something I really ponder over.

Setepenaset

Follower of Isis
I personally believe "resurrection" refers to the afterlife, or the eternal state, when a person reaches the final goal (what other religions variously call salvation, nirvana, enlightenment, etc). My religion has a resurrection myth (Osiris), but I don't believe Isis actually restored Osiris' dead body to life. It symbolically represents Osiris becoming ruler of the afterlife, by defeating death. His sister/wife bringing him back from the dead represents the fact that he could not do it by himself. The divine masculine and feminine energies are both required. Neither can survive without the other.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My thoughts: I like it. Lovely video. Lovely, magical fantasy world, Starlite -- and I like the Enya (I think) background music.

Reuniting with our loved ones is a beautiful thought. Is there any evidence that this will occur?

I'd question the idea that it's not natural that we should grow old and die, though. It seems to me that this is how Nature-God works -- at least on our level of perception. All the evidence seems to support this.
If Jehova-God never wanted this, how did it all go so wrong? Is He just an incompetent designer-creator?

My "religion's" viewpoint: Multiple levels of mind-generated 'reality'.
1. A Natural world of cause and effect perceived in our normal waking state; a world we're dreaming, but must live in.
2. A "Real," quatum Reality beyond our normal powers of perception.

Philip Glass background music.

It's irrelevant. The closest to that in Germanic Heathenry is Baldur but that's more of a metaphor for renewal. We don't have corpses coming back to life. That's rather outlandish.

As for deceased loved ones, we'll see them when we cross over so, once again, physical resurrection is irrelevant.

Last edited:

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
As a Luciferian, the idea of Resurrection becomes one of spiritual resurrection into Luciferian Consciousness and constitutes initiation into Higher Knowledge and Divine Empowerment of the higher Self over the lower self.

starlite

Texasgirl
Either resurrection or direct judgment, what's the difference. So, for me it's either or, not something I really ponder over.

This is my understanding....
Acts 24:15
And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

Both those who lived in harmony with God’s righteous ways and people who, out of ignorance, did unrighteous things will be resurrected. The Bible does not answer all our questions as to whether certain specific individuals who have died will be resurrected. But we can be confident that God, who knows all the facts, will act impartially, with justice tempered by mercy that does not ignore his righteous standards.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
This is my understanding....
Acts 24:15
And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

Both those who lived in harmony with God’s righteous ways and people who, out of ignorance, did unrighteous things will be resurrected. The Bible does not answer all our questions as to whether certain specific individuals who have died will be resurrected. But we can be confident that God, who knows all the facts, will act impartially, with justice tempered by mercy that does not ignore his righteous standards.
I'm not sure what 'impartial' means here, a direct refusal to accept Jesus or worship Deity is supposed to be a big no-no. 'Good' person or not.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
There are verses that indicate even being a Christian isn't a 'free pass', so I really don't subscribe to these "interpretations" of what judgment would be.

Levite

Higher and Higher
There are, and have been, Jews who believe in a literal, physical resurrection. But for most of the last millennium or so, the majority of Jews have understood "resurrection of the dead" as metaphorical language, symbolizing the eternal nature of the immortal soul-- the ability of the soul to transcend physical death.

starlite

Texasgirl
I'd question the idea that it's not natural that we should grow old and die, though. It seems to me that this is how Nature-God works -- at least on our level of perception. All the evidence seems to support this.
If Jehova-God never wanted this, how did it all go so wrong? Is He just an incompetent designer-creator?

Thank you for your post...I appreciate you sharing your perspective. In order to explain how it all went wrong, I'm posting the following information.

Understanding what happened in Eden is essential to understanding the rest of the Bible. Regarding our Creator, the Bible says: “Perfect is his activity.” As to why we grow old and die...the first man, Adam, was created perfect, and he had the potential of living forever in Eden, the earthly Paradise garden. So, why did Adam lose that Paradise home and grow old and die? Simply...Adam failed to obey the command not to eat fruit from a particular tree. That tree represented God's right to choose what was right or wrong for them. This was not a burden as God had provided enough food for them to eat to satisfaction. God had clearly warned Adam of the penalty for eating from the tree, saying: “You will positively die.” In the day that they rebelled, they began to die. They lost perfection and could pass on only sin and imperfection to their offspring. The Bible thus explains: “Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.”—Romans 5:12.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yep, *obviously*, I guess, Xianity has both as well. I personally think there is no actual difference in purpose or 'result', though some groups don't believe in hell etc.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you for your post...I appreciate you sharing your perspective. In order to explain how it all went wrong, I'm posting the following information.

Understanding what happened in Eden is essential to understanding the rest of the Bible. Regarding our Creator, the Bible says: “Perfect is his activity.” As to why we grow old and die...the first man, Adam, was created perfect, and he had the potential of living forever in Eden, the earthly Paradise garden. So, why did Adam lose that Paradise home and grow old and die? Simply...Adam failed to obey the command not to eat fruit from a particular tree. That tree represented God's right to choose what was right or wrong for them. This was not a burden as God had provided enough food for them to eat to satisfaction. God had clearly warned Adam of the penalty for eating from the tree, saying: “You will positively die.” In the day that they rebelled, they began to die. They lost perfection and could pass on only sin and imperfection to their offspring. The Bible thus explains: “Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.”—Romans 5:12.
So God was so clueless He couldn't predict that the humans would try a bite from the tree? I thought He was omniscient.
dunno.gif

Why did he create such defective, disobedient, rebellious creatures, then leave a poisonous tree growing in their back yard? This strikes me as poor planning.

You quote from this Bible extensively about this. Do the Gita, Tibetan book of the Dead, Tao Te Ching or Avesta have anything to say about it?

starlite

Texasgirl
So God was so clueless He couldn't predict that the humans would try a bite from the tree? I thought He was omniscient.
dunno.gif

Consider this please... If God chooses to foreknow everything, then even before he made Adam and Eve, he would have known that they would disobey him as you say. But when God told Adam that he must not eat from “the tree of the knowledge of good and bad” or he would die, he gave Adam a choice. When God told the first couple: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth,” did he know that their wonderful prospect of life in a paradise was doomed to failure? No...God allowed man to choose his own destiny.

Here is an example: By means of his servant Moses, God said to the nation of Israel: “I have put life and death before you, . . . and you must choose life . . . by loving Jehovah your God, by listening to his voice and by sticking to him; for he is your life and the length of your days.” Had God predestinated each Israelite either to love him and gain life or to disregard him and merit death, His words would have been both meaningless and insincere. However, God perfectly balances his powers of foreordination with his respect for our free will.