• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the resurrection of Jesus -fact or legend?

joeboonda

yes after an earthquake it must have been quite a sight to see the graves exposing the dead bodies.

And, look! the curtain of the sanctuary was rent in two, from top to bottom, and the earth quaked, and the rock-masses were split. 52 And the memorial tombs were opened and many bodies of the holy ones that had fallen asleep were raised up, 53 (and persons,
Or, "they," not referring to the "bodies."
coming out from among the memorial tombs after his being raised up, entered into the holy city,) and they became visible to many people.
whoever "the holy ones" were, Matthew did not say they were raised up. He said their bodies, or corpses, were.
Also he did not say these bodies came to life. He said they were raised up, and the Greek verb e·gei´ro, meaning to "raise up," does not always refer to a resurrection. It can, among other things, also mean to "lift out" from a pit or to "get up" from the ground. (Matthew 12:11; 17:7; Luke 1:69) The upheaval at Jesus’ death opened tombs, tossing lifeless bodies into the open. Such occurrences during earthquakes were reported in the second century C.E. by Greek writer Aelius Aristides
This view of the event harmonizes with Bible teachings. In 1 Corinthians chapter 15, the apostle Paul gives convincing proof of the resurrection, but he completely ignores Matthew 27:52, 53. So do all other Bible writers. (Acts 2:32, 34) The corpses raised up at Jesus’ death could not have come to life in the way some people think for on the third day thereafter, Jesus became "the firstborn from the dead." (Colossians 1:18) Anointed Christians, also called "holy ones," were promised a share in the first resurrection during Christ’s presence, not in the first century.—1 Thessalonians 3:13; 4:14-17.
a considerable time later, namely after Jesus had been resurrected those who witnessed this came to Jerusalem to tell the news about it .

52And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

BIg stretch there. The BODIES of the saints which slept AROSE and CAME OUT of the graves AFTER HIS RESAURRECTION, and WENT into the holy city and APPEARED unto many. These are dead saints resurrected to life, period.

may

52And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

BIg stretch there. The BODIES of the saints which slept AROSE and CAME OUT of the graves AFTER HIS RESAURRECTION, and WENT into the holy city and APPEARED unto many. These are dead saints resurrected to life, period.
And, look! the curtain of the sanctuary was rent in two, from top to bottom, and the earth quaked, and the rock-masses were split. 52 And the memorial tombs were opened and many bodies of the holy ones that had fallen asleep were raised up, 53 (and persons, coming out from among the memorial tombs after his being raised up, entered into the holy city,) and they became visible to many people. 54 But the army officer and those with him watching over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things happening, grew very much afraid, saying: "Certainly this was God’s Son."............................................................................................ notice it says HIS resurrection not their resurrection

PureX

Veteran Member
According to the story, the body of Jesus went missing, and the men who knew him best did not recognize him in body, again. Instead, they recognized his spirit in a new body, after they talked to this "stranger". To me, the probable explanation is clear. Jesus did not bodily rise from being dead, but his body was stolen from the grave for whatever reason. Probably to perpetuate the myth that Jesus rose from the dead. And then his followers began recognizing Jesus' spirit in other living people, and they grabbed on to this as a means of keeping their savior "alive". And therefor keeping their religious beliefs, and hopes, alive. Many Christians then, as now, did not understand that Jesus spoke in symbols and metaphors when he was alive, and so for them, for Jesus to literally die meant that his message was untrue. This is wrong, of course, because Jesus' message was never meant to be taken so literally, but this is how some people are. So when he really did die, they HAD to come up with some way of bringing him back from the dead, or they would have to admit to themselves that their religious beliefs were false, and so was their savior (he wasn't really false, they just misunderstood his message by taking it too literally).

This would be my best guess as to what actually happened.

may

According to the story, the body of Jesus went missing, and the men who knew him best did not recognize him in body, again. Instead, they recognized his spirit in a new body, after they talked to this "stranger". To me, the probable explanation is clear. Jesus did not bodily rise from being dead, but his body was stolen from the grave for whatever reason. Probably to perpetuate the myth that Jesus rose from the dead. And then his followers began recognizing Jesus' spirit in other living people, and they grabbed on to this as a means of keeping their savior "alive". And therefor keeping their religious beliefs, and hopes, alive. Many Christians then, as now, did not understand that Jesus spoke in symbols and metaphors when he was alive, and so for them, for Jesus to literally die meant that his message was untrue. This is wrong, of course, because Jesus' message was never meant to be taken so literally, but this is how some people are. So when he really did die, they HAD to come up with some way of bringing him back from the dead, or they would have to admit to themselves that their religious beliefs were false, and so was their savior (he wasn't really false, they just misunderstood his message by taking it too literally).

This would be my best guess as to what actually happened.
his disciples would hardly have gone on to suffer persecution and death for something they knew to be fraudulent.

PureX

Veteran Member
his disciples would hardly have gone on to suffer persecution and death for something they knew to be fraudulent.
They didn't. They knew that Jesus died and did not return to them in his old body. But they believed (and rightly so) that he returned to them in spirit, and that they could recognize his spirit walking among them, in various human forms.

Unfortunately, in the centuries since, the literalists have interjected their need for a literal resurrection into Jesus' original message and meaning and made it the hinge-pin of their religious dogma (because that's what it is, to them). And they have altered the story and the religious texts accordingly. I don't feel that the religious Christianity we know today reflects much of the original message and meaning of Christ. I think the message is there, but it has been subverted and diminished by religious dogma.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Can clearly say know that Christ is here………..
Yet on if the disciples added parts, as they say “looked like”, “sounded like” etc…..
Also the accounts on this point, don’t match....and if Yeshua said the son of man will come like Jonah (Zan-NuN) did; that is before the day of destruction not earlier, and clearly that hasn't happened, yet……
So when a day is also a thousand years in God’s eyes, then how long did Yeshua mean before the son of man comes to explain that?

may

L. I don't feel that the religious Christianity we know today reflects much of the original message and meaning of Christ. I think the message is there, but it has been subverted and diminished by religious dogma.
VERY TRUE INDEED i am glad to say that Jehovahs witnesses do not base their beliefs on the manmade traditions of man like the mainstream of christendom do. we have got back to proper bible based teachings. and because of that we have been well blessed in this time of the end. Faithfulness leads to great blessings from the Almighty , and we are being fed straight from Jesus own hand matthew 24;45-47 and it is all good bible based food ............ nice

may

Can clearly say know that Christ is here………..
Yet on if the disciples added parts, as they say “looked like”, “sounded like” etc…..
Also the accounts on this point, don’t match....and if Yeshua said the son of man will come like Jonah (Zan-NuN) did; that is before the day of destruction not earlier, and clearly that hasn't happened, yet……
So when a day is also a thousand years in God’s eyes, then how long did Yeshua mean before the son of man comes to explain that?
his(Jesus) presence in kingdom power is here now , but the day of Jehovah is near . two different things

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
So is drinking blood as Bashan would, go learn what that means....

may

So is drinking blood as Bashan would, go learn what that means....
For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to YOU, except these necessary things, to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If YOU carefully keep yourselves from these things, YOU will prosper. Good health to YOU!"ACTS 15;28-29 If a doctor told you to abstain from achohol would you inject it into your veins, or would he mean to ABSTAIN from it ?
(Genesis 9:4) Only flesh with its soul—its blood—YOU must not eat.

(Leviticus 3:17) "‘It is a statute to time indefinite for YOUR generations, in all YOUR dwelling places: YOU must not eat any fat or any blood at all.’"

(Leviticus 7:26) "‘And YOU must not eat any blood in any places where YOU dwell, whether that of fowl or that of beast.

(Leviticus 17:10) "‘As for any man of the house of Israel or some alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst who eats any sort of blood, I shall certainly set my face against the soul that is eating the blood, and I shall indeed cut him off from among his people.

(Deuteronomy 12:16) Only the blood YOU must not eat. On the earth you should pour it out as water.

(Deuteronomy 12:23) Simply be firmly resolved not to eat the blood, because the blood is the soul and you must not eat the soul with the flesh.
(1 Samuel 14:32) And the people began darting greedily at the spoil and taking sheep and cattle and calves and slaughtering them on the earth, and the people fell to eating along with the blood.

joeboonda

John 2
18Then the Jews demanded of him, "What miraculous sign can you show us to prove your authority to do all this?"
19Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." 20The Jews replied, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?" 21But the temple he had spoken of was his body. 22After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.

Acts 13
29When they had carried out all that was written about him, they took him down from the tree and laid him in a tomb.30But God raised him from the dead, 31and for many days he was seen by those who had traveled with him from Galilee to Jerusalem. They are now his witnesses to our people.

32"We tell you the good news: What God promised our fathers 33he has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm:
" 'You are my Son;
today I have become your Father.[b]'[c] 34The fact that God raised him from the dead, never to decay, is stated in these words:
" 'I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David.'[d] 35So it is stated elsewhere:
" 'You will not let your Holy One see decay.'[e]

36"For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his fathers and his body decayed. 37But the one whom God raised from the dead did not see decay. 38"Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. 39Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses. 40Take care that what the prophets have said does not happen to you:

41" 'Look, you scoffers,
wonder and perish,
for I am going to do something in your days
that you would never believe,
even if someone told you.'[f]"

John 20
6Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there, 7as well as the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head. The cloth was folded up by itself, separate from the linen. 8Finally the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went inside. He saw and believed. 9(They still did not understand from Scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead.)

Jesus Appears to Mary Magdalene

10Then the disciples went back to their homes, 11but Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb 12and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus' body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot. 13They asked her, "Woman, why are you crying?"
"They have taken my Lord away," she said, "and I don't know where they have put him." 14At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.

Luke 24
1On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. 2They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. 5In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 7'The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.' " 8Then they remembered his words.

Romans 10
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

I Cor.15
3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Peter,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

STOP! Take a breath, and before you reply, STUDY the above, which is ALL SCRIPTURE. Scripture CLEARLY teaches Christ's BODY was crucified, Christ's BODY was placed in a tomb, sealed with a huge rock, sealed by a Roman seal and Roman guards, and Christ's BODY rose from the dead, never to decay. He is in His glorified body, seen of many, and taken up to Heaven. This is counted "OF FIRST IMPORTANCE", we MUST believe Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day, His body was not there, it was risen. If one does not believe this they believe a false gospel and are still dead in their sins. We MUST believe in our heart that Christ is risen from the dead to be saved. READ these again!!! The BIBLE is PERFECTLY CLEAR on this--JESUS ROSE FROM THE DEAD!!! HIS BODY WAS NOT THERE!!! DO NOT TWIST THE SCRIPTURE, IT WILL ONLY LEAD TO YOUR DESTRUCTION!!!

may

STOP! Take a breath, and before you reply, STUDY the above, which is ALL SCRIPTURE. Scripture CLEARLY teaches Christ's BODY was crucified, Christ's BODY was placed in a tomb, sealed with a huge rock, sealed by a Roman seal and Roman guards, and Christ's BODY rose from the dead, never to decay. He is in His glorified body, seen of many, and taken up to Heaven. This is counted "OF FIRST IMPORTANCE", we MUST believe Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day, His body was not there, it was risen. If one does not believe this they believe a false gospel and are still dead in their sins. We MUST believe in our heart that Christ is risen from the dead to be saved. READ these again!!! The BIBLE is PERFECTLY CLEAR on this--JESUS ROSE FROM THE DEAD!!! HIS BODY WAS NOT THERE!!! DO NOT TWIST THE SCRIPTURE, IT WILL ONLY LEAD TO YOUR DESTRUCTION!!!
yes may i suggest , stop take a breath and read
The Resurrection of Jesus—Fact or Legend?
A discussion of Jesus’ resurrection should be of concern to all of us. here is a good link
progress.gif

anders

If Jesus really lived to be crucified, died, and was resurrected, he didn't really die but for a few hours. So, the whole concept of him dying to save mankind fails.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If Jesus really lived to be crucified, died, and was resurrected, he didn't really die but for a few hours. So, the whole concept of him dying to save mankind fails.

That's the idea behind incarnational soteriology.

may

fact. Jesus was resurrected. next question?[/quot
Who resurrected him ? some say that Jesus resurrected himself but the bible says that his father JEHOVAH resurrected him.
His resurrection was performed by Jehovah God himself.—Ac 3:15; 5:30; Ro 4:24; 10:9.
whereas YOU killed the Chief Agent of life. But God raised him up from the dead, of which fact we are witnesses. acts 3;15
The God of our forefathers raised up Jesus, whom YOU slew, hanging him upon a stake acts 5;30
but also for the sake of us to whom it is destined to be counted, because we believe on him who raised Jesus our Lord up from the dead. romans 5;24
For if you publicly declare that ‘word in your own mouth,’ that Jesus is Lord, and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead, you will be saved romans 10;9